Usman Addresses “U.S.A.” Chants.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You've forced me to be more clear. You are basically the reason I'm not here. And I'm not even a little bit isolated. There is this whole "IRL" world - you may have heard of it. I have absolutely no bigoted, asshole friends IRL. Why would I want an asshole for an imaginary friend?

Odin13

Pro Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
You've forced me to be more clear. You are basically the reason I'm not here. And I'm not even a little bit isolated. There is this whole "IRL" world - you may have heard of it. I have absolutely no bigoted, asshole friends IRL. Why would I want an asshole for an imaginary friend?
Yeah, I got that insinuation the first time. That's why I insinuated that you are no more intelligent or mature than anyone else you think you are too good to interact with, you are just more of a coward.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
His nickname is the Nigerian Nightmare, they display the Nigerian flag next to his name and he was even wearing Nigerian flag facepaint at the weigh ins.

It is a bit dumb for educated American MMA fans to get jingoistic against old Marty from Nebraska, as he is now as American as mobility scooters, but you can't expect an entire arena to appreciate the nuances of his national identity.
The OP explanation is nice and patriotic and all with an inspirational quality about work ethic, but let's be real. This is what it is. One guy is repping Nigeria as often as possible and one is carrying an American flag yelling about going to the white house,etc.
The USA chants were obviously not for Usman.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
The OP explanation is nice and patriotic and all with an inspirational quality about work ethic, but let's be real. This is what it is. One guy is repping Nigeria as often as possible and one is carrying an American flag yelling about going to the white house,etc.
The USA chants were obviously not for Usman.
American crowds in general are the least jingoistic by a mile anyway. Obviously you get your chanting dipshits, but a much larger portion of the fanbase than any other country couldn't give a flying fuck if the fighter is American or not and will openly cheer against American fighters. It's a simple product of dominance - there's no need for validation.

Early Aussie crowds were actually really good. It's because we were starved of UFC events and MMA wasn't mainstream, so most fans in the arenas were the existing hardcores coming from all over the country. Vanderlei Silva wouldn't have got a bigger reception in Curitiba.

But as it is now more mainstream, you get far more 'patriotic' morons.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hi

It's offensive when used by heterosexuals to describe gay people. I could link to Wikipedia or a number of other articles but you can do that yourself.

Unless you're gay and referring to other gay people, in which case, carry on :)