Valerie Letourneau: I almost died before Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Former UFC strawweight contender Valerie Letourneau got the biggest break of her career when she challenged Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the 115-pound strap at UFC 193 in 2015. But preparing for the said fight apparently involved one of the scariest moments in all of her years as a professional fighter.

During last Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour, Letourneau recalled how she thought she was in the brink of death during the weight cutting period.

“The worst was when I fought Joanna [Jedrzejczyk], and you can talk to “Bigfoot” (Antonio Silva) and talk to Mark Hunt, because I was sitting between them [in the sauna],” Letourneau said (via MMA Fighting). “They had to take me to the hospital right after weigh-ins. I…

Letourneau: I almost died before Jedrzejczyk fight

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
they need to find a way to get rid of weight cutting
It's being worked on. The 10 point plan that Andy Foster devised was endorsed by the ABC medical sub-committee and will be voted on by the full ABC at their upcoming national meeting. If the current proposal is endorsed by the ABC, it will then be up to the state AC's to adopt the recommendations. There is building momentum behind reforms to try to eliminate weight cutting, hopefully we get this figured out before someone else dies.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
“The worst was when I fought Joanna [Jedrzejczyk], and you can talk to “Bigfoot” (Antonio Silva) and talk to Mark Hunt, because I was sitting between them [in the sauna],” Letourneau said. “They had to take me to the hospital right after weigh-ins. I couldn't even drink, eat, or speak. And I don't know if you remember, but we did an interview as soon as we walked off the stage and I couldn't stop shaking. I couldn't stop shaking, and I couldn't even walk.”

“I just made it to my chair and after that, I couldn't move, I was so cold, so cold inside. I felt like all my bones were knocking on each other and they had to give me an I.V., I was going to die.”

“You’re not supposed to have (an) IV, but you get to this point I had to push,” she continued. “My blood pressure when I started cutting weight was 80 over 35, that’s how low it was. Can you imagine how I was feeling? Just trying to have a conversation, just trying to even think properly, I was losing my voice, vision. I couldn't even hear properly. So you just think your heart is going to stop. Mentally, you just stay strong and say, ‘okay, I'm going to make it tomorrow.’”

“I was talking to my body like it’s not even part of myself, like it’s a machine and you just keep going, keep walking, keep doing your thing. But how many times can I do this? And the more you do it, you're more traumatized. Every single time, you're more concerned of — let’s say a week from the fight, I was thinking more about how much I was going to suffer again to make it to 115 [pounds, rather] than the fight.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank God she didn't die that day. Some really scary shit.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
I love how someone says they almost died before a fight. I doubt that seriously!
Have you ever cut a lot of weight or been very dehydrated? It's a very nasty feeling and yes at a point one does feel like they could die! If you haven't heard people have died..... ya think they didn't feel that way?

I've been to a point where I needed five bags of IV Ringers Solution to get hydrated. At that point you can't piss, your body is cramping so bad and trying to thow up but can't. Worst part is you start to halucinate and not in a good way. It is one scary situation.

It's just dangerous, how many times does somebody have to die before something is done about it across the world of combat sports?

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Have you ever cut a lot of weight or been very dehydrated? It's a very nasty feeling and yes at a point one does feel like they could die! If you haven't heard people have died..... ya think they didn't feel that way?

I've been to a point where I needed five bags of IV Ringers Solution to get hydrated. At that point you can't piss, your body is cramping so bad and trying to thow up but can't. Worst part is you start to halucinate and not in a good way. It is one scary situation.

It's just dangerous, how many times does somebody have to die before something is done about it across the world of combat sports?
Great reply bu still, she wasnt about to die, unless she was fighting for ONE then id believe it.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Extreme weight cuts are stupid. (Basing 'extreme' on % of body weight)

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Weight cutting in combat sports is close to the dumbest thing I can think of that humans engage in. I understand that within the prism of retardation we exist in, it makes some sense, because fighters need to do it and proposed solutions are also flawed.

But step back and imagine trying to describe it to an Alien. 'I nearly kill myself by starving and dehydrating myself to have a slight advantage over another ape BEFORE I fight that ape for the entertainment of other apes the next day until one of us is unconscious, purely so I can earn less per year than the average ape'.

The aliens would just wipe out the species after listening to such utter stupidity and probably be entirely justified.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Have you ever cut a lot of weight or been very dehydrated? It's a very nasty feeling and yes at a point one does feel like they could die!
bully4me @bully4me is correct, and occasionally people cutting weight DO die. I get that people often over dramatize the "I almost died" thing, but with regards to weight cutting it is often literally true.