Vanessa Porto: The Tale of Perseverance’s Pay Off

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
Capture122.PNG

In the early days of Mixed Martial Arts, the fighters that made up the most prolific of organizations’ rosters had to claw tooth and nail to reach their goals. For the most part that remains true in modern-day, but it would be a lie to say that it hasn’t become easier to get signed to the larger stages.

Unfortunately, no matter how talented or experienced that a fighter is, it still might not be enough to draw interest from a UFC or Bellator in 2020. These are businesses after all and if putting a CM Punk-like figure in a fight is believed to gain more attention for the brand than a “boring” dominant 8-0 wrestler by the name of Joe Smith.

Though, if it wasn’t for the perseverant grinders and pioneers, there would be no sport for the crossover stars or rising prospects to get their quick starts in. But as history has shown, hard work always pays off to some degree in the end.

After 15 years of competing professionally, Brazil’s Vanessa Porto finally got the call to be a part of what many consider one of the top two premier MMA promotions.

“I was very surprised, very happy, and thankful to be a part of one of the biggest MMA events in the world,” Porto told MyMMANews of her signing with Bellator, “And now I’m just waiting to get my documentation, my passport so that I’ll be able to fight with peace of mind.

“I’m really happy. Everything is new. It’s a new division, a new organization that I’m going to be a part of. It’s a big event, right? Sometimes I don’t really have the idea of how big it is. I can’t really fathom how big it can be. But I’m really, really excited. I never choose my opponents so I’m excited for whoever appears in front of me and who that next opponent is.”

With the exception of this unique 2020, every year since 2005 has seen Porto deliver some face-punching. Of course, she hopes to get back in action before the year’s conclusion to keep the streak alive.

Continued: Vanessa Porto: The Tale of Perseverance's Pay Off