VanZant Coach on Continuing Fight with Broken Arm

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Coach explains why he let Paige VanZant fight with a broken arm at UFC St. Louis

By Guilherme Cruz@guicruzzz Jan 16, 2018, 9:00am ESTPaige VanZant won’t forget her UFC St. Louis fight with Jessica Rose-Clark any time soon.

VanZant suffered the first decision loss of her UFC career on Sunday night, but has gained a lot of respect from the MMA community after revealing that she suffered an arm fracture in the second round.

“12 Gauge” kept fighting despite the injury, and even escaped a submission attempt later in the second round, but lost the decision in the end.

VanZant informed her coach and corner Fabiano Scherner before the third round that she was injured, and Scherner spoke with MMA Fighting to explain why he didn’t advise her to stop the fight.

“I was asking her to stay away from the clinch and keep the distance to use her boxing and kickboxing, and she said, ‘My arm is broken,’” Scherner said. “She wasn’t feeling any pain, so I thought it could be a fissure, that sometimes hurts as much as a fracture. She said she fractured it in the first round, but she didn’t remember that the spinning back fist was in the second round.

“Everything that happened in the second round led me to believe that it wasn’t a serious injury because the way she continued fighting, you couldn’t notice it. I went back to the corner and asked the other coaches if they thought it was really broken, and they couldn’t give me a concrete answer. I kept telling her to hit with the right hand, and when I saw that she wasn’t throwing punches, I knew it was more serious than I thought.

“It made sense later why she wasn’t defended the triangle attempt the way we trained. We even trained that defense earlier that day, but finding out about the fracture made sense after all.”

After noticing that VanZant wasn’t throwing right hands in the third, Scherner still decided against throwing in the towel.

“I let the fight play out because at any moment she… She wasn’t using her right hand, but I was looking at her face and she didn’t appear to be in pain or anything like that, so I thought it was serious but that she could continue,” he said. “I didn’t think about throwing in the towel. We spoke about it after the fight and I saw the X-ray, I apologized to her for making that call, and she said, ‘It was the right call because I wanted to go back and continue fighting. I would be disappointed if you had stopped the fight.’ I think it was the right call because she really wanted to go back.

continued,

Coach explains why he let Paige VanZant fight with a broken arm at UFC St. Louis

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Say what you want about the girl but she is a fucking warrior

We literally just saw a Cuban boxing legend quit due to the same damn thing (I still don't believe Rigo arm was truly broken but whatever)

I make jokes about her sometimes with the tam shit but i have a ton of respect for that women

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Say what you want about the girl but she is a fucking warrior

We literally just saw a Cuban boxing legend quit due to the same damn thing (I still don't believe Rigo arm was truly broken but whatever)

I make jokes about her sometimes with the tam shit but i have a ton of respect for that women
With the way she was moving and leaping around in the cage she looked more like a dancer than a fighter but she’s got heart for days.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Paige just isnt a top tier fighter unfortunately. Heart for days, tough as nails, ok sure but as far as her ever being a champ or even top 3 i just dont see it.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I never heard that story.
We got in line and after about 20 minutes she said she had to leave to go to a sponsors table. Everyone was pissed because she was supposed to be there for 2 hours. Turned out it was a scheduling conflict and she was scheduled 2 places at once. She returned but security had closed her line. Well that just doesn’t work for me so I convinced security to let the 6 of us back in line and we got photos and autographs after about 10 minutes.
It was the next day during Bas hall of fame induction I got some one on one time in the fighter tent :cool:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
We got in line and after about 20 minutes she said she had to leave to go to a sponsors table. Everyone was pissed because she was supposed to be there for 2 hours. Turned out it was a scheduling conflict and she was scheduled 2 places at once. She returned but security had closed her line. Well that just doesn’t work for me so I convinced security to let the 6 of us back in line and we got photos and autographs after about 10 minutes.
It was the next day during Bas hall of fame induction I got some one on one time in the fighter tent :cool:

I see this is from when you had a victory sweater swatch shirt.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

So proud of you and coming forth with your #metoo moment. We stand with you.