Velasquez granted bail

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Cain Velasquez speaks to his lawyer, Mark Geragos, during a hearing for his attempted murder charges.

Cain Velasquez got a significant victory in his ongoing court case for the attempted murder of Harry Goularte, and the shooting of Goularte’s stepfather Paul Bender, during a prolonged vehicle chase in Santa Clara County in February. Velasquez’s apparent attack was reportedly sparked by another ongoing court case against Goularte, for the alleged sexual molestation of minors at a day care center belonging to Goularte’s parents. A relative of Velasquez is said to have been among the victims of Goularte’s purported crimes.

Velasquez had been denied bail by presiding judge Shelyna Brown on three previous occasions following his arrest. With Brown positing that given the uncontrolled and public nature of Velasquez’s initial attack on Goularte, that he posed too significant a danger to both Goularte and the public to be released ahead of the trial. However, in a two-day pre-trial hearing on November 7-8th, under Judge Arthur Bocanegra, it seems the court has changed their tune.

MMA Junkie reports that in consideration of Velasquez’s lack of criminal history, and the supposed unlikelihood that he poses a flight risk—as the father of two children—the former UFC champion has been granted his release on a $1 million bond. As terms of his release, Velasquez will be required to comply with GPS tracking and must maintain a distance of at least 300 yards from Harry Goularte and his parents Patricia Goularte & Paul Bender. Velasquez will also be required to undergo CTE outpatient treatment since his lawyer, Mark Geragos, has argued that the condition may have possibly played a role in the former fighter’s actions.

“Mr. Velasquez, I would not release you if I was not convinced that upon a release at this time, eight months later, that you would be a danger to Harry Goularte primarily, Patricia Goularte or Paul Bender,” Judge Bocanegra told Velasquez in court. “If you are as devoted a husband and father, I’m confident and have to believe you will not jeopardize anything that would take you away from your son, your daughter, your family. I hope you don’t prove me wrong.”
No word yet on when Velasquez’s case will be brought to trial, but at least until then it looks like the 40-year-old will await the courts back at home and out of custody.

Cain Velasquez granted bail during pre-trial hearing, attempted murder charges remain

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
and now he'll try to push his court date out as far as he can.

just another example of wealthy justice.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Cain Velasquez speaks to his lawyer, Mark Geragos, during a hearing for his attempted murder charges.

Cain Velasquez got a significant victory in his ongoing court case for the attempted murder of Harry Goularte, and the shooting of Goularte’s stepfather Paul Bender, during a prolonged vehicle chase in Santa Clara County in February. Velasquez’s apparent attack was reportedly sparked by another ongoing court case against Goularte, for the alleged sexual molestation of minors at a day care center belonging to Goularte’s parents. A relative of Velasquez is said to have been among the victims of Goularte’s purported crimes.

Velasquez had been denied bail by presiding judge Shelyna Brown on three previous occasions following his arrest. With Brown positing that given the uncontrolled and public nature of Velasquez’s initial attack on Goularte, that he posed too significant a danger to both Goularte and the public to be released ahead of the trial. However, in a two-day pre-trial hearing on November 7-8th, under Judge Arthur Bocanegra, it seems the court has changed their tune.

MMA Junkie reports that in consideration of Velasquez’s lack of criminal history, and the supposed unlikelihood that he poses a flight risk—as the father of two children—the former UFC champion has been granted his release on a $1 million bond. As terms of his release, Velasquez will be required to comply with GPS tracking and must maintain a distance of at least 300 yards from Harry Goularte and his parents Patricia Goularte & Paul Bender. Velasquez will also be required to undergo CTE outpatient treatment since his lawyer, Mark Geragos, has argued that the condition may have possibly played a role in the former fighter’s actions.

No word yet on when Velasquez’s case will be brought to trial, but at least until then it looks like the 40-year-old will await the courts back at home and out of custody.

Cain Velasquez granted bail during pre-trial hearing, attempted murder charges remain
I already made a thread boss

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
and now he'll try to push his court date out as far as he can.

just another example of wealthy justice.
he should flee unless they think he can get off with a couple years

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
he should flee unless they think he can get off with a couple years
he lowers his sentence every day he lives free and doesn't get in trouble.
and the further he pushes out his case, the more likely that his victim cops to a plea deal. If a DA thinks there's a chance he'll get a juror who won't convict Cain, he'll offer a sweet plea deal. It only gets worse for Cain if his victim is acquitted AND Cain gets in some kind of trouble...like a DUI or something stupid.

None of that is possible if Cain is sitting in jail like all the other accused who don't have a $1M bond.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
he lowers his sentence every day he lives free and doesn't get in trouble.
and the further he pushes out his case, the more likely that his victim cops to a plea deal. If a DA thinks there's a chance he'll get a juror who won't convict Cain, he'll offer a sweet plea deal.

None of that is possible if Cain is sitting in jail like all the other accused who don't have a $1M bond.
Ya, i hear ya
I don't know what he is facing

Such a messed up situation

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Ya, i hear ya
I don't know what he is facing

Such a messed up situation
yeah - i can't imagine acting on that emotion, but I can't imagine that emotion. But I see his lawyer argued that CTE may be a factor, so I'm sure Cain will be doing all the CTE doctor appointments and therapy/counseling...one more thing that will improve his sentencing that's not available to innocent people without that $1M bond