Virna Jandiroba happy to be overlooked heading into Mackenzie Dern bout

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017

Quietly but impressively, Brazil’s Virna Jandiroba has put together one of the best records in the 115-pound strawweight division.

Nearly perfect at 16-1, Jandiroba has secured 13 of those victories via submission. Generally finishing with armbars or rear-naked chokes, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt is among the very best in the sport in that art.

Beginning her career in 2013, the now-32-year-old would win 14 straight before suffering her first career defeat. That loss coming in her UFC debut following her run as the Invicta FC champion.

“My first loss gave me a shock of reality,” Jandiroba told MyMMANews. “I discovered that I need to be even more of a pro than I already was. Technically, broadening my team, bringing more science to my training camps. It was a big reality shock but it was great that it happened in my first fight in the UFC so I’ve been able to work on that since then.

“It definitely did [relieve some pressure]. I wanted to win, obviously. It was a good fight despite losing the fight but it was humbling. It definitely humanized the process.”

Continued: Virna Jandiroba happy to be overlooked heading into Mackenzie Dern bout

T

The Big Guy

I wonder if shes happy to be overlooked after the fight aswell