Visions of the future

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This one is about our desire to make every awesome invention suitable for the convenience store:

El_Varaco

Apr 15, 2015
Awesome thread, allow me to add a few

Google's Project Soli - using radar, Google is developing a gesture interface that translates gestures from your hand and uses that as a control interface for gadgets

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=68&v=0QNiZfSsPc0

Google's Project Jacquard - Project Jacquard is a new system for weaving technology into fabric, transforming everyday objects, like clothes, into interactive surfaces. Project Jacquard will allow designers and developers to build connected, touch-sensitive textiles into their own products. This is just the beginning, and we're very excited to see what people will do with it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObSFfdfe7I

Project ARA - another Google ATAP project that's making a modular smartphone. I think they're already going to test this on Puerto Rico already. In a nutshell, Project ARA will allow smartphone users to swap out components of their phone (RAM, Camera, Screen, Memory, Battery, etc) to come up with a unique gadget. Imagine the early days of the PC when you could build a desktop to your specs. They've already sent the MDK to 3rd party developers so they can get the ARA marketplace up and running.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intua_p4kE0

Google ATAP (Advanced Technology and Projects) is kicking ass with coming up with exciting things, some of them have been duds (Google Glass) so far, but the fact there's someone out there trying all sorts of new stuff out is exciting.

El_Varaco

Apr 15, 2015
Injectable device delivers nano-view of the brain | Harvard Gazette

an international team of researchers has developed a method of fabricating nanoscale electronic scaffolds that can be injected via syringe. The scaffolds can then be connected to devices and used to monitor neural activity, stimulate tissues, or even promote regeneration of neurons. The research is described in a June 8 paper in Nature Nanotechnology.

(more at the link)

El_Varaco

Apr 15, 2015
this one's a bit troubling

Schweizer Polizei-App warnt dich vor Verbrechen, die noch gar nicht passiert sind | Motherboard

cut and pasted from crappy google translate

Minority Report in the Swiss Alps. The police in the canton of Aargau has its appupdated, now in addition to the current investigation and Verkehrsinformatinonen calling also makes predictions about crimes that are not yet done. KAPO (Canton Police) is called the mobile-prevention service and is based on the methodology developed in Oberhausen Software PRECOBS.

FRAT version: Swiss police is using a crime prediction software called PRECOBS in it's app to warn users of places were crimes are predicted to happen. It's also being piloted in several cities in Germany.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
this one's a bit troubling

Schweizer Polizei-App warnt dich vor Verbrechen, die noch gar nicht passiert sind | Motherboard

cut and pasted from crappy google translate

Minority Report in the Swiss Alps. The police in the canton of Aargau has its appupdated, now in addition to the current investigation and Verkehrsinformatinonen calling also makes predictions about crimes that are not yet done. KAPO (Canton Police) is called the mobile-prevention service and is based on the methodology developed in Oberhausen Software PRECOBS.

FRAT version: Swiss police is using a crime prediction software called PRECOBS in it's app to warn users of places were crimes are predicted to happen. It's also being piloted in several cities in Germany.
I don't consider this troubling. No freedoms are being impacted (from what I can make out). It seems like it's simply a method for predicting crime and warning people to be aware.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't consider this troubling. No freedoms are being impacted (from what I can make out). It seems like it's simply a method for predicting crime and warning people to be aware.
It's troubling only insofar as it will artificially distort home values in neighborhoods that may have had histories of crime but are improving. I'd be interested to know the algorithm they're using.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
And here is the future of VR, demonstrated today.

The much ballyhooed Oculus Rift with its hand controlled Oculus Touch apparatus. It will be shipping early next year.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
very cool thread. i saw a transparent monitor on some tv show and it looked really cool.

all those science fiction movies that have something like that and its pretty interesting to see it becoming a reality.