Vitaly Minakov vs Cheik Kongo - Feb.16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

CLINTK9

Oct 20, 2015
Vitaly Minakov, Cheick Kongo Booked for No. 1 Contender Bout at Bellator Event on Feb. 16

A heavyweight No. 1 contender bout between Vitaly Minakov and Cheick Kongo is official for Bellator’s Feb. 16 event.

The promotion confirmed the booking on Wednesday. The event takes place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. and is headlined by a welterweight grand prix quarterfinal matchup between Paul Daley and Michael Page. The card is part of a Bellator doubleheader that begins one day prior at the same venue. The Minakov-Kongo winner will eventually face the winner of the heavyweight grand prix finale between Ryan Bader and Fedor Emelianenko, scheduled for Jan. 26.

Minakov took a five-round verdict over Kongo as the promotion’s reigning heavyweight champion at Bellator 115 in April 2014. Incidentally, that was also the Russian’s last appearance with Bellator as well as the last heavyweight title bout within the promotion. Minakov was eventually stripped for inactivity but re-signed with the organization earlier this year. He has won seven straight bouts under the Fight Nights Global banner since then and is 21-0 as a professional overall.

Kongo has won nine of 10 bouts in Bellator since that defeat to Minakov. That includes back-to-back knockout victories over Timothy Johnson and Javy Ayala in 2018. The Frenchman is 11-2 in the California-based promotion and 29-10-2 as a professional overall.

CLINTK9

Oct 20, 2015
Cheick Kongo: It Would Be ‘Big Shame’ If I Didn’t’ Get to Fight for Bellator Heavyweight Belt

When Cheick Kongo was excluded from Bellator’s heavyweight grand prix – a bracket that featured a few natural light heavyweights – many believed that his penchant for less-than-thrilling performances was a factor.

The way things are going now, it’s getting more and more difficult to deny the 43-year-old Frenchman his shot at Bellator gold. Kongo earned his second consecutive first-round knockout at Bellator 208 on Saturday, as he polished off fellow UFC veteran Timothy Johnson in just 68 seconds. That win comes on the heels of a 2:29 stoppage of Javy Ayala at Bellator 199 in May.

Kong doesn’t deny being angry about being left out of the heavyweight bracket. However, he remained in the background as the tournament played out over the past few months.

“I never got the chance to say anything (about not being in the tournament),” Kongo said after Bellator 208 video courtesy of MMAjunkie.com. “I used to be quiet because I was pretty angry, but what could I say? ...Of course [I deserve a shot]. If I didn’t fight for the belt, it would be a big shame. It’s been now three years, seven wins in a row -- a win is a win. Even if I’m not satisfied with the result of the fight, a win is a win.

Prior to his last two performances, Kongo had won five consecutive bouts via decision or split decision. However, that included victories over current UFC talents Alexander Volkov and Augusto Sakai.

While Fedor Emelianenko and Ryan Bader will square off for the vacant heavyweight crown at the Forum in Los Angeles on Jan. 26, Konog has caught the eye of Bellator President Scott Coker with his recent efforts. Still, there is also the prospect of returning former champion Vitaly Minakov to consider. The Russian was stripped of the heavyweight belt due to inactivity but owns a 21-0 career mark – including a five-round verdict against Kongo in a title defense in April 2014. Minakov was recently re-signed by Bellator and could be the No. 1 contender-in-waiting.

“I think we have a couple options there. But Cheick has really impressed me his last couple outings,” Coker told media after Bellator 208 “That’s the Cheick that I remember from before. That’s the Cheick that we’ve been waiting to see. We signed Minakov back, we have some great heavyweights here already. Cheick’s another guy. We’re just gonna have some great matchups in the future in the heavyweight division in 2019.

Regardless of how things play out, Kongo believes he has set himself up nicely in the title discussion. With seven wins in a row and an 11-2 mark in Bellator overall, he’s been perhaps the promotion’s most consistent heavyweight.

“It’s a good opportunity for me to come back and get my belt,” Kongo said. “No matter who’s going to be the winner, Bellator’s [been holding my belt] for three years, four years, and I think at some point that’s something I deserve to get. I didn’t have the opportunity to fight for the interim. We’ll see if I’m still on track.”

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Minakov again, and twice on Sunday.

Fedor wins title, passes torch to teammate, rides off into sunset.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Minakov again, and twice on Sunday.

Fedor wins title, passes torch to teammate, rides off into sunset.

Its gonna be a miracle if Fedor win , but I hope he wins.
Perfect ending to his career.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Eh.... their first fight was Vitaly gassed AF and then laying all over Kongo. BUT Kongo has gotten much older in the interim...
Opps didnt know they fought before. Gotta watch it

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I don't ssee the rematch going much differently...Imo modern day Kongo is similar to Minakov but about 75% as good.

Huge kudos to Kongo for doing as well as he has at 43, nearly 44 though...Depending on where Hunto ends up, I'd love to see a rematch between those two.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bellator setting up some pretty good fights lately. Plus that WW tourney is going to be bonkers.