Volk-Max and the Impact of Biased Commentary

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
T

The Big Guy

I had volkanovski winning 3 4 5
And got paid good for the judges calling it right. Bisbing was hard for max
Screenshot_20200712-000159_Chrome.jpg

M

member 3289

For rounds 3 and 4, Max continued to be the aggressor, dictating the fight, which lead to a couple of desperate, ineffective takedown attempts from Volkanovski in round 4.
How rounds are scored:

1. Effective striking

Effective grappling only comes into play when one fighter doesn't have more effective striking. Aggression only comes into play when one fighter doesn't clearly have more effective striking or more effective grappling. Octagon control only comes into play when one fighter doesn't have more effective striking or grappling or doesn't show more aggression.

But when you have a fighter with more effective striking, those other 3 things literally don't matter.

Even round 5, the only consensus winning round for the champ, wasn’t as clear cut as rounds 1& 2 were for Holloway.
This does not matter one bit. Rounds are scored on a round-by-round basis.

Anyone disputing whether Max was robbed or not is either a UFC fan boy, a member of Volkanovski’s team, or very bored at the moment (understandable given the state of things).
I had Max winning the fight. Watching live I had him winning 1,2, and 4. But Volkanovski winning the fight was definitely NOT a robbery.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Yeah, I saw it. He picked Max to win and is clearly overly emotional so he lacks credibility on this. I watch that show a bit, even though Josh Thomson is an idiot. BJM isn't always an idiot but can be. If you are getting emotional that someone gave round 4 of this fight to one guy over the other, you are being irrational.

Even though he understands the round criteria he wrote (which makes him better than most), he still suffers from 10-9 cognitive dissonance syndrome like so many media members and fans do. You can always tell these types because they won't give a breakdown of each round and instead will say something like 'I can see giving fighter A two rounds, maybe three, but definitely not four', as if you score by assigning a percentage of a fight at the end. BJM does this often.

Their brain won't let them reconcile the fact that the 10-9 system can distort how the overall fight went and give you very unsatisfying winners.

Herb Dean did an interview after the fight. He is vague and polite, but he is clearly defending the decision by getting the interviewer to admit that round 3 is close and implies BJM is being irrational. If people want to defer to authority - yes BJM wrote the criteria, but Herb was a pro fighter and was actually in the cage. Herb notes the system is the issue, not the judges. About 3 mins in.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dp20a-CV36Q