Listen Was Guns N Roses a "hair band".

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
There is generally a negative connotation associated with the term "hair band". I would argue that, despite promotional pictures that would make it seem otherwise, that GNMF'NR was not a hair band.

Plus Appetite has held up incredibly well while crap like Poison only gets gayer and gayer over the years.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I prefer to not lump them in the "hair band" category for exactly the reasons you state; but accept people that consider them the (or one of the few) hair bands that stood the test of time.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
They outlasted hair bands. But at one point they were definitely feeling the hairband genre. Because they changed their image during the 90's and continued making music, its hard to identify them with other bands that didnt last.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Nah. They were a bit too raw to put in the "Hair Band" category.

Skid Row is another band from the era that escapes that label, IMO.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
Gotcha. What do I know? I was listening to LL Cool J and Run DMC at the time.

So you think if they werent pussies, they arent hair bands? I can dig that. Poison was a bunch of pussies.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Nothing wrong with "Hair Bands" or "Hair Metal" if you will - I love that music. Brings up tons of great memories. But it's more about a sound than it is a look, IMO.

Classic Hair Metal (Warrant, Poison, Motley Crue, etc) had a typical sound. Usually a singular guitar riff, a shredding guitar solo and a refrain that featured multiple members of the band singing in harmony.

GnR didn't do any of that. Slash had unique solos that were typically blues based. GnR was just pure rock and roll - with Appetite anyway.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Whitesnake is another band that - although they were recording songs during that time and 100% changed their sound to fit in with the popular era (many people don't know they were formed back in 1978 after Coverdale left Deep Purple) - fall outside of the "hair metal" label in my opinion.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Whitesnake is another band that - although they were recording songs during that time and 100% changed their sound to fit in with the popular era (many people don't know they were formed back in 1978 after Coverdale left Deep Purple) - fall outside of the "hair metal" label in my opinion.
That's some serious knowledge. Bravo.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Oh, and something about Tawny Kitaen, if we're talking about Whitesnake.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Because they changed their image during the 90's and continued making music
They ruined their career in 1992 and then effectively disappeared until they returned with "Arbitrary Guys 'n' Roses" and the Chinese Democracy album.

and this guy who was allegedly Axl Rose was their lead singer:

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Didn't Tawny Kitaen beat the crap out of her husband or boyfriend or something? Think he was a pitcher for the Angels or Dodgers or some California team. I haven't been beaten like that since yesterday morning.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Didn't Tawny Kitaen beat the crap out of her husband or boyfriend or something? Think he was a pitcher for the Angels or Dodgers or some California team. I haven't been beaten like that since yesterday morning.
She is certifiably insane.

She cheated on Coverdale with OJ Simpson, then eventually married pitcher Chuck Finley of the Angels and beat the shit out of him. She's had some other legal issues as well.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
She is certifiably insane.

She cheated on Coverdale with OJ Simpson, then eventually married pitcher Chuck Finley of the Angels and beat the shit out of him. She's had some other legal issues as well.
Really?
Wow
Talk about insane chick.
But you know what they say about insane chicks...

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
That was a great album.
They were a fkin in tight band.
So many great tracks.

My faves :
Runnin with the devil.
Ain't talking about love
You really got me

Jamie's crying is awesome
Listening to it right now
Gracias hombre for this throwback:)
Little known fact from that album - David Lee Roth played the acoustic guitar on the Ice Cream Man track.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Why did David Lee Roth always have such a long pinky nail.

Also remember when he himself in the face with a katana?