General Was Quaid dreaming in Total Recall?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
So I missed a bunch of movies growing up living out of the country a bit and then really rural Maine. So I've gone back and started working my way through. I think I've seen most of the classics by now. But I'm watching Total Recall tonight for the first time.

The movie is 30 years old so spoilers are ok.

But is this a dream/implanted memory or real?

M

member 1013

So I missed a bunch of movies growing up living out of the country a bit and then really rural Maine. So I've gone back and started working my way through. I think I've seen most of the classics by now. But I'm watching Total Recall tonight for the first time.

This has been bothering me for the majority of my life

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
He was dreaming. When he's in the chair at recall he picks the brunette chick, there's pictures on the screen of the alien reactor, and when he's drifting off one of the doctors says "blue sky on Mars, that's new" or something like that.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

What part of Maine? My grandfather had a place by Mt. Chase.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
The director of Total Recall response to the question-
Total Recall doesn’t say whether it’s reality or it is a dream, you know? It’s really saying there’s this reality and there’s that reality, and both exist at the same time,” Paul Verhoeven explained. “Because you look at Total Recall there is never a preference, let’s say, taken by me or the scriptwriter, to say this is really what he dreams about and this is the truth.”

“I wanted it to be that way,” Verhoeven clarifies. “Because I felt that it was – if you want to use a very big word – post-modern. I felt that basically I should not say ‘This is true, and this not true.’ I wanted – and we worked with Gary Goldman on that, not the original writers – [and we] worked very hard to make both consistent, and that both would be true. And I think we succeeded very well. So I think of course there is no solution. Hey, it’s both true. So I thought, two realities; that it was innovative in movie language at least, to a certain degree, that there would be two realities and there is no choice."

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The director of Total Recall response to the question-
Total Recall doesn’t say whether it’s reality or it is a dream, you know? It’s really saying there’s this reality and there’s that reality, and both exist at the same time,” Paul Verhoeven explained. “Because you look at Total Recall there is never a preference, let’s say, taken by me or the scriptwriter, to say this is really what he dreams about and this is the truth.”

“I wanted it to be that way,” Verhoeven clarifies. “Because I felt that it was – if you want to use a very big word – post-modern. I felt that basically I should not say ‘This is true, and this not true.’ I wanted – and we worked with Gary Goldman on that, not the original writers – [and we] worked very hard to make both consistent, and that both would be true. And I think we succeeded very well. So I think of course there is no solution. Hey, it’s both true. So I thought, two realities; that it was innovative in movie language at least, to a certain degree, that there would be two realities and there is no choice."
That guy is full of shit. I watched it more times than him and I say dream!