WBC Interim Champ Ryan Garcia to retire at 26 then MMA...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Morning Report: WBC interim lightweight champion Ryan Garcia says he plans to retire at 26, then compete in MMA

Ryan Garcia v Luke Campbell
Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images
Ryan Garcia is one of the hottest up-and-comers in boxing. Following an extensive amateur career, Garcia turned professional in 2016 and signed with Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy promotions. After quickly amassing a perfect record of 20-0, earlier this month Garcia won the WBC interim lightweight title with a seventh-round TKO of Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell. At only 22 years old, “King Ry” has one of the brightest futures in boxing. But it appears that future is destined to be short-lived.

Speaking with Rich Eisen recently, Garcia said that he plans to retire from boxing in just four years.

“Yeah, I plan to. If I say it, I plan to do it,” Garcia said. “I plan at 26 to retire, I don’t know, officially. You’ve seen in the past, fighters have retired and come back. This is what I will say: I still plan to retire at 26, yet, yet if I am to return back to the ring, I will only battle people that people will say at that time “There’s no way Ryan will beat them.” That’s the only time I’m coming back and I will always give the glory to God after I win. That’s what I plan to do. All I box for is to give the glory to God, so once I win I say thank you Lord, Jesus Christ is coming, there it is. That’s my plan.”

Retiring young doesn’t happen all that often in combat sports, but what Garcia plans to do next is even more rare. When pressed on his decision, Garcia revealed that though he plans to step away from boxing at 26, there is likely a future for him in MMA after that.

“To answer your question, 26, I still plan to retire,” Garcia said. “But if I do return back in the ring, I will promise everybody that I will fight people that they say I won’t beat. You know what I’m willing to do? I really haven’t said this out loud but what I plan to do is, say at 26 I’m done retired and boxing is all good. You know what I’ll do? If they say, “Okay, you’ve beaten everybody in the ring, right?” But somebody goes, “This ain’t real fighting. Real fighting is legs, choking, submission, all that.” Guess what I’ll do? I’ll go prove to them that I’m the best fighter all around in the world. I’m talking about hands, I’m talking about wrestling. I will go to MMA to prove a point that God is greatest and I’ll beat whoever in MMA that they say I won’t beat. If it has to be Conor McGregor, I will. And I’m not saying this to get money. I don’t care about money. I’m saying this because that’s just how I feel.”

Garcia and former UFC flyweight and bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo have already been engaging in a back-and-forth so that fight might make a lot of sense. Of course, a lot can change in four years, but should Garcia actually transition to MMA, he would be among the most high-profile boxers to ever do so and he would have no shortage of possible opponents.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
I had to Google this guy, 135 lbs
He's a rising star and won his last fight in spectacular fashion after getting dropped early. He's a beast and could be the next De La Hoya sans women's lingerie...