Lifestyle We may run out of beer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Coronavirus: The United States might run out of beer thanks to COVID-19

Dwindling supplies of carbon dioxide from ethanol plants is sparking concern about shortages of beer, soda and seltzer water - essentials for many quarantined Americans.

Brewers and soft-drink makers use carbon dioxide, or CO2, for carbonation, which gives beer and soda fizz. Ethanol producers are a key provider of CO2 to the food industry, as they capture that gas as a byproduct of ethanol production and sell it in large quantities.

But ethanol, which is blended into the nation's gasoline supply, has seen production drop sharply due to the drop in gasoline demand as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Gasoline demand is down by more than 30 percent in the United States.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not entirely related... I wonder when we'll run out of TV shows? I remember the writer's strike decimating an entire season, so we'll have to be running out soon I'd imagine. Probably be stuck watching YouTube and Ticktok this fall season.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Dwindling supplies of carbon dioxide from ethanol plants is sparking concern about shortages of beer, soda and seltzer water - essentials for many quarantined Americans.

Brewers and soft-drink makers use carbon dioxide, or CO2, for carbonation, which gives beer and soda fizz. Ethanol producers are a key provider of CO2 to the food industry, as they capture that gas as a byproduct of ethanol production and sell it in large quantities.

But ethanol, which is blended into the nation's gasoline supply, has seen production drop sharply due to the drop in gasoline demand as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Gasoline demand is down by more than 30 percent in the United States.
not me
I grabbed 4 cases
and I don't go thru it fast at all

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's an option. I've done it and it came out great, but I'd rather be drinking it than making it :cheers: I felt like it was more trouble than it was worth to be honest.
I really barely drink anymore, if I do drink it's bourbon,like a red blooded American man. If my weed guys run out, I'm fucked.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
No problem there. My mom used to grow it in the backyard in the 80's.
Ugh, Texas is still a little strick with growing, but that's changing. I'm less than an hour from the OK boarder and a good friend of mine is a major grower and grow house builder in OK.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I really barely drink anymore, if I do drink it's bourbon,like a red blooded American man. If my weed guys run out, I'm fucked.
mostly weed here also

I do like a nice lager or the occasional whiskey or tequila

This area is all about high power IPA and flavor filled beer...I like basic lagers

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
mostly weed here also

I do like a nice lager or the occasional whiskey or tequila

This area is all about high power IPA and flavor filled beer...I like basic lagers
I used to drink IPA when I was my ex wife due to the high alcohol content. Numbed me

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015

I bought a craft beer kit like a month ago. So the same and see how we get on?
I meant to start today but totally forgot till I saw you post this

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I bought a craft beer kit like a month ago. So the same and see how we get on?
I meant to start today but totally forgot till I saw you post this
Definitely keep me updated on that. That's the same kit I used. Just followed the directions and it turned out perfectly 1st batch. The old lady got it for me for Christmas about 10 years ago.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Don't lump me in with the hipsters, but like an IPA or 2. A little heavy to drink in volume though.
I have like half a beer then give it to my lady to finish.

I can deal with strong booze...but that IPA has so many damn ingredients it fills me up or something.

too rich/heavy...tastes a lil sour to me usually

lager man here

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Definitely keep me updated on that. That's the same kit I used. Just followed the directions and it turned out perfectly 1st batch. The old lady got it for me for Christmas about 10 years ago.
I will. Now youve mentioned this I will get around to it.

You would consider me an IPA "hipster" snob. The majority of my friends since I moved to California hav been via beer.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Not entirely related... I wonder when we'll run out of TV shows? I remember the writer's strike decimating an entire season, so we'll have to be running out soon I'd imagine. Probably be stuck watching YouTube and Ticktok this fall season.
Pinterest will merge with Youtube.
We're going to see a shit-ton of mergers.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Pinterest will merge with Youtube.
We're going to see a shit-ton of mergers.
Interesting. I definitely see a ton of low-tech content initially. The 1st platform to improve on this crap we're getting now (Saturday Night Live from their homes) should skyrocket.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Interesting. I definitely see a ton of low-tech content initially. The 1st platform to improve on this crap we're getting now (Saturday Night Live from their homes) should skyrocket.
If I was an entertainment head, I would just reconfigure existing content.
We've got like 80 years of TV.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Reconfigurations on re-runs.
Maybe shows that reflect then and now, revisting older content, turning them into interactive games live with viewers.
Things like that.