Lifestyle Weekenders, Boondockers, Full-Timers: Looking at RVs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
In the market for an RV, nothing new. My dad had a Class A (big bus-looking kind)when he retired and he full-timed his summers away from AZ for about 10 years. I'm looking at Class C (van/truck cab). I was thinking ahead and realized I don't think I'm going to get on a plane with kids for a year or two.

We went and looked at some, wife wants < 29' and with a slide-out. I don't care about length and Do Not want a slide-out, but she understands all the reasons I don't want a slide (sealing, safety, weight, maintenance, storage, etc). I'm looking at $15-30k range, less than 75k miles, hopefully something that is on the flatter part of the depreciation curve. Most of the models that fit my criteria are in the 2002-2012 model years. Ideally something that's a family vehicle and stored under cover. Eventually one of my progeny will be Lone Star and will RV the universe.

Anyone here got an RV that can share tips or insights? lessons learned? Book Of The Road stories?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I want one of those midget rvs I dont need a huge rv to ride around in. I basically want it for when I go to nevada,AZ or around California.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Been looking...finally found one and put down a deposit.
Transferring title tomorrow

2007 Tioga 26'. The search was made difficult because I specifically didn't want one with slides.
I'll probably replace the flooring first, doesn't look like they did a great job...but it looks good enough. I can put down some laminate or nice lino for cheap.
The tires are 4-5 yrs old, but the RV was stored in a garage for it's entire life, so I'll probably replace the fronts and roll the rears for the first year. After looking for the last couple weeks, I can tell you that garage/covered storage is a big deal. So now I have to find a place nearby with available covered RV storage.

Aside from the floor, the only upgrades will probably be solar power and couple of interior mods - simple things like making a place to put shoes at the entrance. I might upgrade the sway bars, probably the shocks when I have it aligned. Dad is a wealth of knowledge for best-known-methods of RVing and trip planning. He already asked if he could borrow it. I told him he could rent it. ;)

And my middle kid is turning 5 on Wednesday, so I think I'll take her to the RV tomorrow after we transfer ownership and let her 'pick' the RV, and surprise her sisters with it on Wednesday.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
My friend just got a nice deal on a 3-year-old pull behind. Can't remember how big it is, but it's the one where the side slides out and it's got nice room inside. He had someone who knew campers look at it with him and got some money off for a mold spot that we repaired that weekend

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
This thread is bullshit. I watched the video, watched related videos, now I'm in this bullshit rabbit hole. I need an RV all the sudden!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I want one of those midget rvs I dont need a huge rv to ride around in. I basically want it for when I go to nevada,AZ or around California.

ever think about getting a camper topper and a truck?
check out Urban Stealth Camping on YouTube.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
This thread is bullshit. I watched the video, watched related videos, now I'm in this bullshit rabbit hole. I need an RV all the sudden!
whatever you do, DO NOT go to irv2.com (I RV, too)and create an account.
For the love of God, spare yourself before it's too late.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
the reason I want one of those small rv is because they have a shower but I will still watch that youtube channel it probably has some good advice.
look at a Class B, but there's lots of camper tops with showers. Apparently, lots of RVers never use the shower in the RV, they just stay at campgrounds that have showers. I heard that several times when I was looking at used RVs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sXd4VY1m0

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Victory over the suspension (so far). I have new front and rear anti-sway bars, new steering stabilizer, and new shocks on all 4 corners.
I went and picked up a rebuilt carb for the generator...probably take the old one out tonight, and put the new one in when it's cool and breezy in the AM. My daughter went on the shakedown drive with me this morning, night and day difference with the stability and the control.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
got an alignment done, and the guy told me that the Bilstein steering stabilizer was always going to push the vehicle left and take it out of alignment sooner than later. He told me he took it off and to give it a try. I cruised it, and it feels great on the roads and on the highway. So I"m returning the $120 Bilstein and picked up a $40 Monroe OEM replacement.

Replaced fuel pump/filter, carb, and start solenoid on the generator. Generator now starts and runs, but only if I hold the the throttle at WOT...and it's blowing white smoke.
:(
I'll hook up the compression gauge tonight. pray for me. I don't want to re-ring or rebuild the head on this pig.
Meantime, I'm going to take it to an RV park near my dad and do all the hook-ups on a practice run, or maybe my storage facility has shore power I can hook up to. We'll see, I just want to get it out with the kids.

Speaking of, RV sales are up by over 15%...even more in some places. Campgrounds are filling up. I also found out that every service facility is booked out at least a week. And my local storage facilities are also booked full because Canada isn't letting the snowbirds migrate home.

wild times.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
look at a Class B, but there's lots of camper tops with showers. Apparently, lots of RVers never use the shower in the RV, they just stay at campgrounds that have showers. I heard that several times when I was looking at used RVs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sXd4VY1m0
I’ve never used our shower, it has a small tub. My wife uses it to hose off the kids. I sometimes clean my feet in there, but, yeah, we use the shower in the campground mainly.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I’ve never used our shower, it has a small tub. My wife uses it to hose off the kids. I sometimes clean my feet in there, but, yeah, we use the shower in the campground mainly.
took the coach to a campground tonight, just to hook it up and go through the steps with my dad.
lady next door said a lot of the public campgrounds aren't opening bathrooms/showers.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Everything worked flawlessly. I took the kids over to show them the setup and get them excited about going tomorrow.
As we went to leave, my wife was going back to her car with kids. I cracked the window to tell one of them to help Mom, and when I went to put the window back up CRUNCH and the window wouldn't go up any more. FUCK.

turns out the regulator and motor for the window are riveted in place, so that was about two hours. I broke a bunch of bits trying to drill out these little rivets, then just mumbled Fuck It and banged them out with a pin punch. I'm going to add replacing the passenger side to my To-Do-When-Its-Cool-Out list...driver side always goes first, but there's never a good time for them to break, so might as well fix the other side before it breaks.

Taking it over for emissions this morning, then drop by and get registered. There's a campground up by Sedona, we're going to hit a little outdoor zoo on our way up. But if I didn't know how to fix things on cars, I'd be paying > $100/hr for all of the work I've put in.

I'm going to start making a list of all hand tools I use for these fixes, so I can put together a toolbox for the RV that has the minimum tools, minimize the space and weight.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
a HUGELY successful first overnight with the family. Plot Twist - it turned out to be the same RV park my dad stayed at for his first overnight, almost exactly 14 years ago. We went to a wildlife park in the AM, saw a bunch of lions, tigers, bears and what-nots, then hopped in the RV. Rolled up a scenic highway to Sedona, parked, and I hooked up while the Commander made sandwiches. Spent the afternoon, exploring a creek with the kids and reading my book in the breeze. Got up this morning, hiked out for coffees while the kids got fed, chilled checked everything out...then unhooked and headed home.

I've made a list of 'essential to fix/change before long trip' and I'm going to tackle those projects this weekend, but those are all Safety/Core Functionality things, like getting the genset up and figuring out a car seat solution. Then we'll do a 2-day/2-night trip in AZ to verify it's all good and then head to Iowa.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Grandma had a stroke last Friday, passed away Wednesday. When she had the stroke we pulled in our travel plans by 2 weeks. That condensed our multi-night and 'load out test' to one trip to Show Low. Fool Hollow is an amazing campground, we had a spot by a trail head and I got up Wed morning and took a 2 hr hike to clear my mind.

There was some weirdness where my phone didn't work, but the Cmdr's phone was fine, and we're on the same network. I received push notification, but no phone/text/internet. But on the IA drive we're staying in RV sites, not state parks, so I'll have WiFi for work.

We also took a drive through Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. If you're ever up that way, it's worth the cruise.

20200616_180325.jpg20200617_142839.jpg20200617_192244.jpg

M

member 3289

2007 Tioga 26'. The search was made difficult because I specifically didn't want one with slides.
I'll probably replace the flooring first, doesn't look like they did a great job...but it looks good enough. I can put down some laminate or nice lino for cheap.
The tires are 4-5 yrs old, but the RV was stored in a garage for it's entire life, so I'll probably replace the fronts and roll the rears for the first year. After looking for the last couple weeks, I can tell you that garage/covered storage is a big deal. So now I have to find a place nearby with available covered RV storage.

Aside from the floor, the only upgrades will probably be solar power and couple of interior mods - simple things like making a place to put shoes at the entrance. I might upgrade the sway bars, probably the shocks when I have it aligned. Dad is a wealth of knowledge for best-known-methods of RVing and trip planning. He already asked if he could borrow it. I told him he could rent it. ;)

And my middle kid is turning 5 on Wednesday, so I think I'll take her to the RV tomorrow after we transfer ownership and let her 'pick' the RV, and surprise her sisters with it on Wednesday.
Invest in dumbbells and do bicep curls on road trips if you wanna lose your girly arms

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015

That’s too much RV for you Sally.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That’s too much RV for you Sally.
sit down Nancy. I don't just suckle truckers at Tim Hortons, I was driving a tractor-trailor when I was 17.
Even did some long-hauls as my step-brother's personal lumper.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
finished loading the RV for our trip tomorrow...I was working at a great pace until I slipped on a tablespoon of bleach on the garage floor. Only one loud *POP* and one tiny little quiet *pop* in my left ankle, so it's probably nothing to see the doctor about. Really excited to sit for the 7 hours a day for the next 3 days..
:eek: