General Went 2 Egypt for 2 weeks ama

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Jan 21, 2015
Did the locals give your wife sufficient attention?
nevermind my wife, I went with my kids and my daughter is 15 and blonde.

I came almost expecting something like that, but honestly I found everyone to be nothing but respectful. Same with thieves or pickpockets etc. I had it explained to me that in Islam such thievery is looked so down upon most just don't conceive of it. Everyone was honestly super polite and I sensed no violence in them most everywhere. Even towards the women, of course I don't know shit but most looked peaceful and kind to each other. They scrap over money and prices but I guess this is not a sin

Except for the crazy millionaire in the post above ^^ lol he offered me a bunch of camels and then some of his own offspring for my daughter. I wonder what would have happened if I actually started negotiating

both my girlz were lookin lovely in the hijabs though, they had to wear and cover legs etc for us to see old mosques. Me and lil' Masato just waltzed in no dress code.

Jan 21, 2015
*Time to bring this one back for the Great Masato!

Welcome back Masato - you had to have checked out the pyramids ...share some pics!

During the long bus ride did you think the bus driver was taking you to ISIS HQ?

How long was the plane ride? Did you need a translator? Where did you stay?

Always thought the country went to shit since the ouster or Mubarak, is that true?
HA! I'd forgotten about this shoop that's hilarious. Interesting, as I do feel quite new again after the trip, closing/beginnings of chapters. Immediately after the trip we went to BC for my Mom's funeral, so a whole bunch of head-opening things all at once. Feeling really good to come back and get on with livin' after all that.

LOL no an ISIS bus driver woulda had murican GPS systems, not asking directions from a scrub on a tricycle.

Plane ride was 10 hours roughly to Germany, then I think 5 or 6 (?) to Cairo. All those planes messed me up man, I used to be able to sleep on planes but I couldn't do it this time so my internal clock got right confused lol

We booked a tour package so yes we had a guide who spoke English and we had accomodations. We stayed in 2 different hotels and 3 nights on a boat on the Nile. 1 night on a bus.

Our guide also had some sort of uni degree in Egyptology and was right into that stuff. He was also a hardcore local very streetsmart but also lived in NYC. Good fuckin guide. He kept hooking up with friends of his along the way trying to help them bring some tourist dollars I guess. One dude looked like the Egyptian Joey Diaz but was supposedly ex Egypt CIA or somethins. Our guide even offered to score us hash and use the shisha pipes with us but he got wrapped up with business I get and it never came through. I did smoke the shishas though, they are everywhere. At the hotels you order it from the dudes and they bring you different flavors and tips for the pipes.

I don't know what it was like with Mubarak, but yes the country is shit. lol I'm not even being harsh, the whole fucking place is broken. Cairo is like a post-warzone, literally half the buildings are either unfinished, vacant, or collapsing. It goes on and on. I didn't see one single block of modern city anywhere the whole 9 days. Its a disaster. A beautiful disaster, my wife kept saying lol

Last edited:

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
nevermind my wife, I went with my kids and my daughter is 15 and blonde.

I came almost expecting something like that, but honestly I found everyone to be nothing but respectful. Same with thieves or pickpockets etc. I had it explained to me that in Islam such thievery is looked so down upon most just don't conceive of it. Everyone was honestly super polite and I sensed no violence in them most everywhere. Even towards the women, of course I don't know shit but most looked peaceful and kind to each other. They scrap over money and prices but I guess this is not a sin

Except for the crazy millionaire in the post above ^^ lol he offered me a bunch of camels and then some of his own offspring for my daughter. I wonder what would have happened if I actually started negotiating

both my girlz were lookin lovely in the hijabs though, they had to wear and cover legs etc for us to see old mosques. Me and lil' Masato just waltzed in no dress code.
Happy for you, reckon the veil was a good move.

Jan 21, 2015
Are the chicks hot?
Do they walk like Egyptians like in the MTV video?
Yes the women IMO were strikingly beautiful. I still don't understand about the Hijab and dress code (honestly, I heard many viewpoints and payed attention to many women and still have no conclusions about any of it), but on the surface I found the hijab to be really lovely and attractive. I expected the women to be harder somehow, like oppressed or whatever but I found the women to all have quite strong and proud characters, smart etc. And the men, also contrary to my expectation, all seemed to respect them! was weird. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors of course but the male-female relationship there I found surprisingly pleasant.

No MTV stuff.

Jan 21, 2015
Purpose of trip?

Hottest temp reached?

Best meal?
Family adventure. Wife digs this stuff and had been working super hard. Also Egypt is SUPER cheap as far as travel goes. We got a 9 day tour with most meals included for like $650 per person not including airfare.

Hottest temp was inside the great pyramid, fuckin hell it was hot crawlin up that shit. Rest of the days it wasn't bad. I didn't pay attention to numbers but I'm guessing mid thirties at worst.

Can't think of a best meal but lots of good meals. I liked the food a lot. Simple, clean, not overdone. Meat and bread and vegetables, lentils, soups etc etc. And cheap.

Jan 21, 2015
On a serious note, did you run into any protesters? Civil unrest? I understand that it's rare there, but lately things are getting heated.
No nothing of the sort. Our tour guide told a story however that he's been detained a few times for talking crap to the tourists about Egypt lol

Honestly so many people going on with their lives I would guess there is not much time for politics. My friend who hooked us up on this tour says he was in Egypt for 2 revolutions, and he explained that while the foreign news made it seem like the whole country was revolting, he said in truth he looked out his window everyday and it was the same view lol. A night here or there, a small gathering maybe across the city but for the most part people just went on with their lives. I tend to believe him.

Historically it was weird because we'd been contemplating thousands of years of pharaohs and rulers making people slave for their tombs and riches etc, warring over shit. What has changed really

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Family adventure. Wife digs this stuff and had been working super hard. Also Egypt is SUPER cheap as far as travel goes. We got a 9 day tour with most meals included for like $650 per person not including airfare.

Hottest temp was inside the great pyramid, fuckin hell it was hot crawlin up that shit. Rest of the days it wasn't bad. I didn't pay attention to numbers but I'm guessing mid thirties at worst.

Can't think of a best meal but lots of good meals. I liked the food a lot. Simple, clean, not overdone. Meat and bread and vegetables, lentils, soups etc etc. And cheap.
The great pyramid will be a shared memory. I’ll try send you some of mine soon.

Jan 21, 2015
Culturally, what was the thing that surprised you the most?
tough question. I guess how does a civilization that was once a jewel of the planet turn to a broken heap of chaos? Juxtaposing old and today in the same land was trippy.

Culturally? well no one gives you a receipt, lol. Really hard to get receipts from anyone, you hand over cash for a ticket for something and you get nothing in return. I believe that being robbed is likely rare, but everyone is snaking everyone with money. There are few set prices, I don't know how a value is set for anything. A dude on our tour negotiated 6 Tshirts somewhere for $1USD lol. Sometimes I don't know how good many of them are at math. Tipping also seems commonplace somehow.

Culturally I was also surprised to see so little pride in taking care of the place. Everything was broken and dirty and busted, and that seemed to be OK with everyone. Like they had just given up. I've been through slums in Brazil, poor neighborhoods in other places but there is still always some sense of pride and beauty, they paint their little shack a nice color, put some flowers or something. In Egypt it seems they just don't give a fuck lol

Man I could go on, culturally its just a different planet. Traffic, lol traffic is just chaos
LOL

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
My CEO is from Egypt.
Crazy place apparently ... Especially for tourists.

Jan 21, 2015
Saqqara. One of my favourite parts of the trip. Older than the Pyramids. we went underground near here, + a temple where the masonry looked like it was done yesterday. I repeatedly asked if it had been restored or re-constructed but apparently it was the original. Makes zero sense

Jan 21, 2015
3 nights cruising up the Nile on this boat. Great great great

on the Nile:

its green around the Nile's edge but more than maybe 1km it instantly becomes deathly barren rocks and desert wasteland. Super weird

these dudes attached themselves to our boat for a few hours, yelling trying to sell us stuff. They would throw some goods up and you toss it back or throw down tha cash

Our cabin:

Jan 21, 2015
When is clamming season?
That's the whole reason I went in the first place, to clam. Boy, was I disappointed when I got there and found out I had my seasons mixed up. I had all my clamming gear ready to go and everything.

They had some old temples to see though so I guess that kind of made up for it

daughter

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
I can’t imagine the feeling and rush of emotions going through your mind/body Masato while you took it all in!

Love this thread - thank you for taking the time to discuss your trip and sharing the pics!