Lifestyle Went to the store for a burger... bought a car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
V8 went away when they changed the body style.

Ironically, when they offered both the V8 was rated for better fuel mileage.
They were rated to get a few mpg less than the 4.0. The reason they didn’t bring them over for the Gen 5s is bc of the Dual VVT-i 4.0 that got better mileage with more horsepower than the 4.7s

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
They were rated to get a few mpg less than the 4.0.
If memory serves it was a few mpg less city, a few mpg more on the highway. Ratings aside, I know that they got better mileage when the rubber met the road.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The reason they didn’t bring them over for the Gen 5s is bc of the Dual VVT-i 4.0 that got better mileage with more horsepower than the 4.7s
I figured it was because no one bought the fucking things.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
If memory serves it was a few mpg less city, a few mpg more on the highway. Ratings aside, I know that they got better mileage when the rubber met the road.
Toyota notoriously lowers there rated MPG though. Like my Gen 4 gets between 20-24, depending, and is rated at like 17.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Starting to order the upgrades for the Runner.

FJ Cruiser springs all around with a 1/4” front spacer, Tacoma 18” wheels and undecided tires in the 32” range, replacing all incandescent bulbs with LED, replacing the notorious cracked dash, and need to find a shop to freshen up the paint, and upgrading to Gen 5 brakes

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Starting to order the upgrades for the Runner.

FJ Cruiser springs all around with a 1/4” front spacer, Tacoma 18” wheels and undecided tires in the 32” range, replacing all incandescent bulbs with LED, replacing the notorious cracked dash, and need to find a shop to freshen up the paint, and upgrading to Gen 5 brakes
I'd advise against 18's and upgrading the brakes. Obviously your call.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I'd advise against 18's and upgrading the brakes. Obviously your call.
Yea I was thinking maybe just Plasti-Dip the 17’s I have now, but why not the brakes? Gen 4 brakes has problems with seizing and I have one on there now that is seized. The Gen 5 brake calipers are also 3mm larger while using the same pad, which should increase stopping power.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
I drive a 17 Tacoma Off Road and my wife drives an 18 Camry. Both are great vehicles, I’m sure the one you picked up is too. Toyota is good stuff. Congrats. Do you have pictures of your 4Runner?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I drive a 17 Tacoma Off Road and my wife drives an 18 Camry. Both are great vehicles, I’m sure the one you picked up is too. Toyota is good stuff. Congrats. Do you have pictures of your 4Runner?
Don’t have any. Not really much to look at right now. It’s just a stock Limited, but it was originally bought in Florida and the previous owner let the sun and salt destroy the clear coat. I’ve got a few quotes around town on getting a fresh top coat and clear coat. Will probably do that after Christmas and start on the other things I have planned shortly after.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I was finally allowed to drive it today lol. Only because she needed gas...

Excuse the Drake, sent this video to a friend and it’s an inside joke from a drunken night in Chicago.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yea I was thinking maybe just Plasti-Dip the 17’s I have now, but why not the brakes? Gen 4 brakes has problems with seizing and I have one on there now that is seized. The Gen 5 brake calipers are also 3mm larger while using the same pad, which should increase stopping power.
They don't need bigger brakes. Just replace what's broken and move along.