Western Australia officially lifts cage ban

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

THE PERTH ARENA HAS BEEN NAMED AS POTENTIAL VENUE TO HOST THE UFC

After being sworn in as the new Western Australia government in March, the McGowan Labor Party has legalised the use of the cage for Mixed Martial Arts bouts in the state.

The ban was officially lifted on Friday.

Despite the backing of the WA Combat Sports Commission for use of the cage in MMA bouts, the controversial ban was put in place back in 2013 by the Barnett government.

It was a blow for the local MMA scene with some promotions shutting up shop, leaving Eternal MMA to revert back to the boxing ring to hold regular events in Perth....

More: Western Australia officially lifts cage ban

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
@Miesha's Taint BrunoMcGyver @BrunoMcGyver any thoughts? Do you think WME would go to Perth now?

What is the political background as to why the cage was outlawed?
They'll definitely come to Perth, sometime within a year. We're the only major city UFC hasn't been to so I'm sure they'll wanna tick that off the list.

The political background was that we had some state politicians in power whose minds were back in the dark ages. Our former Premier (the Australian equivalent of a Governor) said it wasn't his "cup of tea" so he wouldn't legalise the cage. WA voted in a new government in March who said they'll repeal the ban, and they did it pretty quick.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
They'll definitely come to Perth, sometime within a year. We're the only major city UFC hasn't been to so I'm sure they'll wanna tick that off the list.

The political background was that we had some state politicians in power whose minds were back in the dark ages. Our former Premier (the Australian equivalent of a Governor) said it wasn't his "cup of tea" so he wouldn't legalise the cage. WA voted in a new government in March who said they'll repeal the ban, and they did it pretty quick.
What is the liklihood of the next permier reversing the decision? Are we in for yo-yo or is it kinda accepted once it's in it's in?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
What is the liklihood of the next permier reversing the decision? Are we in for yo-yo or is it kinda accepted once it's in it's in?
It's definitely possible because the government doesn't need to pass a bill through parliament. They just need to tell the Sports Commission to unban it and that's it.

I think it won't be overturned though because there are too many casual fans here who'll be pissed if it does, and if orgs start holding events here again and their events get effected by another cage an I would assume that could leave the govt open to legal action (I'm far from a law expert though)