Society What’s your stance on the coming boogaloo?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

What’s your stance on the coming boogaloo?

• Bravo Six going dark

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I’m a boot licker and will either kiss government ass or die when shtf

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Lol, they don't currently require this?
No. Not for transfers.

Background checks are for new purchases. But if I have a gun and want to sell it to a buddy it's just a cash transaction.

I think the gun and knife shows bypass the background check as well - but they might have changed that.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
No. Not for transfers.

Background checks are for new purchases. But if I have a gun and want to sell it to a buddy it's just a cash transaction.

I think the gun and knife shows bypass the background check as well - but they might have changed that.
So you could just sell it to a guy with a violent past who's done jail time?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So you could just sell it to a guy with a violent past who's done jail time?
You aren't supposed to. It's a felony to provide a gun to someone who can't legally purchase one on their own.

For the record - I'm fine with background checks and strict records of gun ownership. But that will have to be a "from this point on" type thing. It will be a tall order to have people tell the government what guns they already have.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
No. Not for transfers.

if you sell more than 3 or 4 guns in a year, the BATFE considers you a "dealer". A dealer has to have a license, store all guns in a safe, be available for random inspections, keep records of all transfers, and perform background checks on every sale. It doesn't matter if they sell you a new or used firearm at a gunshow or the Walmart parking lot at 3AM on a Thursday - MUST run a background check and document sale.

If you sell less than 5 guns a year, you don't have to run a background check. But it's illegal to sell a firearm to someone who you know or have reason to suspect is a barred from purchasing firearms.

There is not, nor has there ever been, a 'gunshow loophole'.

(BTW - there's no hard limit on sales which makes you a 'dealer' to the BATFE, but if you're making money selling or fixing guns, you need a license or you risk jail)

The only exception is guns that are really old and are considered 'Curios and Relics'.
Buy/Sell/Trade without background check or records.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
if you sell more than 3 or 4 guns in a year, the BATFE considers you a "dealer". A dealer has to have a license, store all guns in a safe, be available for random inspections, keep records of all transfers, and perform background checks on every sale. It doesn't matter if they sell you a new or used firearm at a gunshow or the Walmart parking lot at 3AM on a Thursday - MUST run a background check and document sale.

If you sell less than 5 guns a year, you don't have to run a background check. But it's illegal to sell a firearm to someone who you know or have reason to suspect is a barred from purchasing firearms.

(BTW - there's no hard limit on sales which makes you a 'dealer' to the BATFE, but if you're making money selling or fixing guns, you need a license or you risk jail)

The only exception is guns that are really old and are considered 'Curios and Relics'.
Hmm.
Always heard shit about the gunshow loophole. Was that an attempt to close them down?

Good info. Thanks.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Hmm.
Always heard shit about the gunshow loophole. Was that an attempt to close them down?

Good info. Thanks.
'Gunshow Loophole' is just politicians fear-mongering on the back of ignorance. Those rules have been in place forever. The BATFE doesn't fuck around when it comes to straw-purchases, which is having someone else buy the gun for you to bypass the background check. And they don't fuck around when it comes to classifying people as a 'firearms dealer'.

it's a 'personal transfer exception'. It's technically illegal to buy a gun and give it as a gift without doing a background check - because you bought it with intention to transfer it to someone else. That's a straw-purchase, and you're looking at 10 years in the Fed Pen.

There has never been a gunshow loophole in firearm transfer laws. Ever.
A private citizen can walk down the street, through a parking lot, in to a gunshow and sell a firearm to someone. They can also do it in their living room or a park or circus trapeze. Where the sale happens has never mattered, only things that matter are
1) if you're making income off the sale or
2) if you're not buying it for yourself.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
FRAT
"Closing the Gunshow Loophole" = "Firearms Ownership Database"

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
'Gunshow Loophole' is just politicians fear-mongering on the back of ignorance. Those rules have been in place forever. The BATFE doesn't fuck around when it comes to straw-purchases, which is having someone else buy the gun for you to bypass the background check. And they don't fuck around when it comes to classifying people as a 'firearms dealer'.

it's a 'personal transfer exception'. It's technically illegal to buy a gun and give it as a gift without doing a background check - because you bought it with intention to transfer it to someone else. That's a straw-purchase, and you're looking at 10 years in the Fed Pen.

There has never been a gunshow loophole in firearm transfer laws. Ever.
A private citizen can walk down the street, through a parking lot, in to a gunshow and sell a firearm to someone. They can also do it in their living room or a park or circus trapeze. Where the sale happens has never mattered, only things that matter are
1) if you're making income off the sale or
2) if you're not buying it for yourself.
I've bought and sold guns, but never more than 2 or 3 a year. So l'm good, eh?

Always to people I know. I don't associate with felons.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

If I can go sell a gun to someone at a show or elsewhere with no background check, but I only do it twice this year, how is that not a loophole?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
If I can go sell a gun to someone at a show or elsewhere with no background check, but I only do it twice this year, how is that not a loophole?
He's saying it isn't a gunshow loophole.
As I now understand it, it's the quantity that matters, and location has nothing to do with it.

It's still a risky thing to do because if that person is found to be someone who could not have bought it on their own you could be in some serious shit.

I only buy/trade with people I know very well.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Hmm.

Good info. Thanks.
The reason that we don't background personal transfers is because family is often pass down guns. That and numerous different bodies trying to prevent further cost an intervention in gun transfers at all.

Gun shows are common places to meet up with strangers to purchase guns with no background check. It is an easy place to get a gun if you shouldn't have one. Individuals just walk around with their gun on their back that's for sale with a price tag.
I purchased my AR-15 lower this way. I could have been anybody including a felon and there's no rule that the seller has to background check or license check me or anything.
Dealer still have to background check. The focus on gun shows is the prevalence before the internet for meetup to buy any number of guns c

It's technically illegal to buy a gun and give it as a gift without doing a background check - because you bought it with intention to transfer it to someone else. That's a straw-purchase, and you're looking at 10 years in the Fed Pen.
That's not true.
Giving a Firearm as a Gift? Some Reminders from NSSF

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The reason that we don't background personal transfers is because family is often pass down guns. That and numerous different bodies trying to prevent further cost an intervention in gun transfers at all.

Gun shows are common places to meet up with strangers to purchase guns with no background check. It is an easy place to get a gun if you shouldn't have one. Individuals just walk around with their gun on their back that's for sale with a price tag.
I purchased my AR-15 lower this way. I could have been anybody including a felon and there's no rule that the seller has to background check or license check me or anything.
Dealer still have to background check. The focus on gun shows is the prevalence before the internet for meetup to buy any number of guns c

That's not true.
Giving a Firearm as a Gift? Some Reminders from NSSF
I went to a gun show in cali. They don't give a fuck who buys what. It's like a car boot.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
In fact I diddnt actually but anything. Maybe there is still a process. Looked like cash in hand to me. Maybe there is a process

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
When I was there it was a bunch of tables selling whatever the fuck you could afford
but you have to have a background check when you make the purchase.
and there are lots of weapons, accessories, or configurations that you can't buy/sell in CA that you can buy/sell almost anywhere else in the US