Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Pass the Dutchie – Musical Youth

Wednesday song of the day: Like yesterday’s song, people mistakenly thought today’s song title referred to marijuana.

There was better reason this time though. Yesterday’s song was given the wrong title when someone at the record company misheard the title Little Greenback (which referred to money) as Little Green Bag, thinking it was slang for marijuana. Some people thought today’s Pass the Dutchie referred to passing a joint around. The word dutchie is Jamaican slang for a type of cooking pot, but that word was used in the Musical Youth version of the song to sanitize it. Since Musical Youth was a band of children, their cover of Pass the Kouchie by Mighty Diamonds changed the lyrics and the meaning. Kouchie did in fact refer to marijuana, and it wasn’t thought proper (or commercially smart…) to have kids between the ages of 11 and 16 singing about getting high.

Musical Youth was formed in 1979 in Birmingham, England. The band consisted of several British youngsters of Jamaican descent and performed a light pop style of reggae. In September 1982, they released the first single from their debut album The Youth of Today, which would itself be released the following month. The single was Pass the Dutchie, and the song had been changed from Pass the Kouchie’s ode to ganga into a song about poverty and hunger. For instance, Pass the Kouchie asked “How does it feel when you got no herb?” while Pass the Dutchie changed it to “How does it feel when you got no food?”

Pass the Dutchie was a big hit, becoming a #1 record in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and New Zealand. In the United States it peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Overall, it sold over 5 million copies worldwide.

Pass the Dutchie, Musical Youth, 1982

View: https://youtu.be/dFtLONl4cNc

Pass the Koutchie, Mighty Diamonds, 1981

View: https://youtu.be/h07YzCtEJOU

Tomorrow: I’m glad I spent it with you

Sausage

Hi
Apr 28, 2020
On the other hand...

This is right now my favourite song and I first heard it like 20 years ago but it didn’t sink in.

This is a live version that has basically no views. The singer/guitar player is now in Blink182 lol. Fucken gay.

This is so beyond that it’s crazy, IMO.

View: https://youtu.be/f_0J73DP2Hk

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Perfect Day – Lou Reed

Thursday song of the day: On its face, today’s song is a simple love story.

Lou Reed’s second solo album, Transformer, has so much good stuff on it. It includes one of his signature songs, Walk on the Wild Side, as well as the great Satellite of Love.(song of the day for September 4th, 2014 here: Satellite of Love – Lou Reed ) Another classic from Transformer is today’s song, Perfect Day, which on the surface is a simple song about two lovers enjoying mundane things like the park, the zoo, and going to a movie. Some, however, have seen a darker subtext, citing things like the lover making the singer feel like “someone good” and the refrain “You’re going to reap just what you sow” as indications it also concerns Reed’s heroin addiction. Reed disputes this, telling an interviewer, “No. You’re talking to the writer, the person who wrote it. No that’s not true. I don’t object to that, particularly…whatever you think is perfect. But this guy’s vision of a perfect day was the girl, sangria in the park, and then you go home; a perfect day, real simple. I meant just what I said.”

Perfect Day was released as part of a “double A-sided” single with Walk on the Wild Side in November 1972. Despite the promotion of the single as having two worthy songs instead of just one good song and a throwaway on the other side, Walk on the Wild Side song gathered most of the attention at the time and charted at #16 on the Billboard Hot 100. Perfect Day did not chart, although over the years it has become recognized as a classic.

In 1997, the BBC made a commercial using Perfect Day, which had numerous artists in addition to Lou Reed performing the song to highlight the diversity of musical styles you could hear on the BBC. The recording was later issued as a single, with all earnings going to the Children in Need charity. This version charted at #1 in the UK and featured Reed along with stars in numerous musical genres. The performers were:

Lou Reed

Bono

Skye Edwards (of Morcheeba)

David Bowie

Suzanne Vega

Elton John

Boyzone

Lesley Garrett

Burning Speer

Thomas Allen

Heather Small

Emmylou Harris

Tammy Wynette

Shane McGowan

Dr. John

Robert Cray

Huey Morgan (of Fun Loving Criminals)

Ian Broudie (of The Lightning Seeds

Gabrielle

Evan Dando

Courtney Pine

Brett Anderson (of Suede)

Joan Armatrading

Laurie Anderson

Tom Jones

BBC Symphony Orchestra

Brodsky Quartet

Andrew Davis

Sheona White

Lou Reed, 1972

View: https://youtu.be/9wxI4KK9ZYo

BBC Ad, Lou Reed and various artists, 1997

View: https://youtu.be/dfddYDRIFGY

Tomorrow: Me stab someone down the lane

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Informer – Snow

Friday song of the day: Today’s song hit the charts while the performer was in jail.

Darrin O’Brien, better known as Snow, was arrested in Toronto in 1989 for two charges of attempted murder in connection with a knife fight. While in jail, he wrote a song called Informer, about how he was unjustly accused. While out on bail, he went to New York and met producer MC Shan. The two recorded a demo, and on the strength of that, Snow got a record deal. The criminal charges were reduced to aggravated assault and eventually he was acquitted.

All of this took time. In 1992 when the record and music video that he had made while out on bail were released, however, Snow was in jail again. He served 8 months before being released. Informer was an improbable hit. It placed at #1 in several countries, including the United States, where it made #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and remained atop the chart for seven weeks.

View: https://youtu.be/TSffz_bl6zo

Tomorrow: Boiling heat, summer stench

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So I was channel surfing and stumbled on this video, on a country music station. Doesn't sound very country sounding to me, but the girl was dressed trashy so I had to find out If she had any nudes.
Apparently it's Miley Cyrus lil sister. I imagine she'll derail in the near future and make a career of it.
Anyways here's the country song that doesn't really sound like a country song

View: https://youtu.be/Kw9tL197xvM

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden

Saturday song of the day: Today’s song drew its title from a misheard line in a newscast.

Soundgarden formed in 1984 in Seattle and was one of the bands that helped develop the style that would later be known as Grunge. Their best-known song came after the Seattle scene exploded nationwide post-Nirvana.

In 1994, Soundgarden released their fourth studio album, Superunknown. Included on the album was the Song Black Hole Sun, which Chris Cornell claimed that he wrote in about 15 minutes driving home to Seattle. The title came from a misunderstood phrase on a news broadcast. As Cornell explained, ““I had misheard a news anchor, and I thought he said ‘black hole sun,’ but he said something else. So I was corrected, but after that I thought, ‘Well, he didn’t say it, but I heard it,’ and it created this image in my brain, and I thought it would be an amazing song title. It was a thought-provoking phrase, and it became that song.”

Released as a single in May 1994, Black Hole Sun failed to make the Billboard Hot 100 chart but was #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart for seven straight weeks. It remains one of the better-known songs from the mid-1990s.

View: https://youtu.be/3mbBbFH9fAg

Tomorrow: And then I saw you coming my way

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Girlfriend – Matthew Sweet

Sunday song of the day: Today’s song was almost scrapped as the singer considered another career.

Matthew Sweet was having a rough time in 1990. He had earlier released two albums that critics liked but hadn’t sold well. He was also going through a bitter divorce. In the midst of all this, he was dropped by A&M records. As a result, he strongly considered giving up his musical career and doing something else. He hadn’t quite reached that decision, though, when he was signed by Zoo Records.

His third album was supposed to be called Nothing Lasts, apparently a reference to the divorce. However, the planned album cover was a photo of actress Tuesday Weld, and she objected to her picture being used for something called Nothing Lasts, so instead Sweet named the album after one of the songs that it contained, Girlfriend.

Girlfriend was a song about an ideal relationship rather than the divorce Sweet had gone through. The album was released in October 1991, and the song Girlfriend was released as a CD single. The video to accompany the song, which included scenes from the anime film Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie interspersed with Matthew Sweet performing, received fairly heavy airplay on MTV. The song placed at #4 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart and #10 on the Mainstream Rock chart. It did not make the Hot 100, likely because it was not released as a conventional vinyl single.

View: https://youtu.be/n12OBlcHx9E

Tomorrow: And the world will be a better place

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Put a Little Love in Your Heart – Jackie DeShannon

Monday song of the day: The writer of today’s song got the title from something her mother used to say.

Jackie DeShannon was already a star in 1969 when she was writing with her brother Randy Myers (DeShannon’s birth name is Sharon Lee Myers) and R&B singer Jimmy Holiday. Her brother came up with a bit of music that they liked, and she supplied the opening line that they then constructed the song around. As she explains, “My brother Randy was playing this little riff and I said, ‘Gee, I really like that riff, that’s great.’ All of a sudden, ‘Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand, put a little love in your heart,’ came just like that. I owe some of that to my mom, because she was always saying that people should put a little love in their heart when things are not so good. I’d like to say it was very difficult, but it was one of those songs you wait a lifetime to write.”

She recorded the song as the title track of her next album, and the Put a Little Love in Your Heart single was released in June 1969. It proved to be her biggest hit in the United States, peaking at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Her other US Top 10 hit was What the World Needs Now Is Love, which hit #7 on the Hot 100 in 1965.

In 1988, Annie Lennox from Eurythmics and Al Green recorded a cover version for the Bill Murray film Scrooged. That version of Put a Little Love in Your Heart also performed well, making it to #9 on the Hot 100.

Jackie DeShannon, 1969

View: https://youtu.be/CZ8K1sRibCY

Annie Lennox and Al Green, 1988

View: https://youtu.be/S3J_3mcOwdQ

Tomorrow: I wanna go where nobody’s a fool

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Cool Places – Sparks and Jane Wiedlin

Tuesday song of the day: Today’s song is the biggest US hit for this cult band from Los Angeles.

Sparks, consisting mostly of brothers Ron and Russell Mael, has been performing since the early 1970s, (their 1974 song This Town Ain’t Big Enough For Both of Us was song of the day for August 30th, 2014 here: This Town Ain’t Big Enough for Both of Us – Sparks ) but most people aren’t really aware of them. Ron is the older brother who has a very odd stage persona, and Russell is the younger “normal” brother who does most of the singing. If people have heard of Sparks at all, it is likely through their 1983 song Cool Places. It was not at all a big hit, but the music video did get a fair amount of airplay on MTV and the record sold well by Sparks standards. This was probably helped by the song featuring Jane Wiedlin from The Go-Gos. (her solo hit Rush Hour was song of the day for November 27th, 2019 here: Rush Hour – Jane Wiedlin )

Cool Places was about going out clubbing, particularly to places that were fairly exclusive, and hoping to be deemed “cool enough” to gain admittance. The record placed at #49 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. While this qualifies as only a minor hit, it was the biggest US single for Sparks, who has only placed one other song on the Hot 100, 1982’s I Predict, which peaked at #60. The band is much more popular in the UK, where they have had several Top 40 hits, and even a #2 hit with This Town Ain’t Big Enough For Both of Us.

View: https://youtu.be/WNKIba_yZJo

Tomorrow: Keeps rainin’ all the time

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
def leppard radio on pandora

i heard heart do what about love
then van halen did right now

choruses sounded so similar
looked up the chords and theyre the same
F A# C
pretty sure theyre singing the same octave F too