Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I swear I just saw this dude on the season 9 finale of the Trailer Park Boys last night, and sure enough, it’s him.
Yeah he won some contest to singing his marauder song. It’s pretty bad ass song too

View: https://youtu.be/xYG2f7LxxkM

68CCA8B7-805F-4FE2-A304-81E94E08D3DB.jpeg

The song he saying on TV wasn’t originally his, the song cold beer was done by Donnie Dunfree, based off a comedy skit

Last edited:

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

When Smokey Sings – ABC

Tuesday song of the day: Today’s song is a tribute to a classic Motown singer.

The English group ABC had had several hits in the early 1980s, including Poison Arrow and The Look of Love. In 1987 they released their fourth album, Alphabet City, and it included When Smokey Sings, a tribute to American R&B singer Smokey Robinson.

While the song deals mostly with Smokey Robinson, the album version also namechecks Sly Stone, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, and Luther Vandross, although this part of the lyric is not in the single version.

Released as a single in May 1987, When Smokey Sings was ABC’s highest charting song in the United States, reaching #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The band continued to have hits in the UK for several years, but never again charted in the U.S.

View: https://youtu.be/BTV5FvNCbhk

Album Version

View: https://youtu.be/9LyUkEkVUQY

Tomorrow: Who’s the cat that won’t cop out when there’s danger all about?

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
It’s not to bad, but I can only take the mandolin in small doses.
In most of his stuff he plays a double string guitar sounds pretty wild. For being a dude who struggles with addiction’s issues, I’m pretty sure he has some classical music training.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
In most of his stuff he plays a double string guitar sounds pretty wild. For being a dude who struggles with addiction’s issues, I’m pretty sure he has some classical music training.
He looks like he might enjoy a chemical or two. Seems like a talented dude, hopefully he doesn’t become a statistic. I’ll have have to check out his 2 string guitar stuff. Reminds me of The Presidents of the United States of America. 3 string guitar, 2 string bass and a small drum kit.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
He looks like he might enjoy a chemical or two. Seems like a talented dude, hopefully he doesn’t become a statistic. I’ll have have to check out his 2 string guitar stuff. Reminds me of The Presidents of the United States of America. 3 string guitar, 2 string bass and a small drum kit.
Unfortunately, for his talent, he already is a statistic. Just can’t keep his shit together. Street kid at heart.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I actually think Jesse Stewart was a Campbell River kid, wasnt that your stomping ground.
Close, I lived in Campbell creek a couple years back when I was a toddler.

Spent a fair bit of time there though seeing as it was the closest big town from home.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Theme from Shaft – Isaac Hayes

Wednesday song of the day: Today’s song was the first written by an African-American to win an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

Younger people may not know it, but the guy who voiced Chef on South Park was very important in the music business. Isaac Hayes started in the early 1960s as a session musician and then went on to become a songwriter and producer for Stax Records, writing several hit songs, including Soul Man and Hold On, I’m Comin’. In 1968 he began a second career as a solo performer, releasing his first album, Presenting Isaac Hayes. The following year, he released the classic Hot Buttered Soul album.

Probably his biggest impact came in 1971 when he was given the job of writing the soundtrack for the MGM blaxploitation film Shaft. The result was a double album of mostly instrumental music that was included in the film. The album contained three songs that also incorporated lyrics, including the main Theme from Shaft.

The Theme from Shaft was released in two versions, a longer 4:39 album cut and a shorter edit that was released as a single, clocking in at 3:15. Both versions contained a long intro, lasting over half of the song’s running time before the lyrics began. And of course, there’s the famous section where the backup singers tell Hayes to “Shut your mouth” when he sings that “They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother-“, preventing him from dropping the F-bomb on the record. Oddly, the version used in the actual movie was different from the versions released on record. The film version was recorded first at MGM Studios in California, while the album and single were recorded later at Stax Records in Memphis. The singing is noticeably different on the film version, and there are minor differences in the lyrics.

The song was a huge hit, charting at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. As mentioned above, it also won the Oscar for Best Original Song. Hayes continued his music career for decades and also branched off into acting, starring in Truck Turner, appearing as a recurring character in TV’s The Rockford Files, and as The Duke of New York in the Kurt Russell film Escape from New York. Later, he played Chef in South Park from 1997 to 2006.

Hayes suffered a stroke in 2006 and passed away on August 8th, 2008 at 65 years old.

Album version

View: https://youtu.be/2O_6fZwxwkU

Single version

View: https://youtu.be/lopcq686HX8

Shaft movie opening credits

View: https://youtu.be/pFlsufZj9Fg

Tomorrow: My heart’s in overdrive and you’re behind the steering wheel

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

I Believe in a Thing Called Love – The Darkness

Thursday song of the day: On its first independent release, today’s song went nowhere.

English band The Darkness was both a throwback to and a parody of hair metal. Formed in 2000 and including brothers Justin and Dan Hawkins, The Darkness performed over-the-top glam metal at a time when the genre was pretty much dead. They gained a following as a live band, and in August 2002 released a three-song EP on the small Must Destroy label. The centerpiece of the EP was I Believe in a Thing Called Love. Only a small number of copies were printed, but it did get enough interest that it helped get The Darkness signed to Atlantic Records.

I Believe in a Thing Called Love was consciously written to be silly while still being grounded enough to be believable. It takes some of the excesses of Queen and goes about two notches more bombastic. As lead singer Justin Hawkins explained, “Some of the most stupid stuff is the ones that people sing at you, and that always makes me smile. Things like, ‘My heart’s in overdrive and you’re behind the steering wheel.’ That’s just daft. But in the right way, it’s not too stupid, and it’s not clever-clever stupid. Just daft. And that’s quite uplifting, I think. Or it makes people feel like they’re part of something innocent and pure. I think that’s quite challenging actually, because being daft in the right way is very difficult. I’ve only done it well a couple of times. That’s probably one of them.”

On Atlantic, the band released their first album, Permission to Land. The album contained the three songs from the EP and seven new songs. I Believe in a Thing Called Love was remastered and re-released as a single in September 2003. This time it sold very well across Europe, especially in the band’s native United Kingdom. It placed at #1 on the UK Rock and Metal chart, and #2 on the overall UK Singles chart. In the United States it failed to break into the Billboard Hot 100, but it did place at #9 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, and #35 on the Mainstream Top 40 radio airplay chart.

The Darkness had several more hits in the UK over the next few years, but so far has failed to chart in the US again.

View: https://youtu.be/tKjZuykKY1I

Tomorrow: Things are going to get easier

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/V5YxtweUxrA

Always thought this was an aerosmith original. Turns out it was a cover.
Apparently Mary Weiss, lead singer of the shangri-las (who wrote the original) song back up on this track
Top comment on youtube

This song came out when most of our boyfriends were being ripped away from us & shipped to Viet Nam. We lived for letters that came from them...or would never come to us again...all we had were our memories till they came home--alive, or not. This song perfectly expressed our emotions...

Last edited: