General What do you guys think about parents that accidentally leave their kids in hot cars???

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think that its a mistake any of us could make.
I agree. It scares the hell out of me. I feel like I can see how it happens. I don’t think I’m any higher risk than anybody, but I can imagine someone under a lot of stress forgetting there was a sleeping baby in the car. Routine, and stress can teally affect people’s cognition and focus.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
There was a case a year or so ago where a dad was found guilty of intentionally leaving his son in a car to suffocate.

I think you need to be held accountable for it whether it be accidental or not. Isn't it manslaughter?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Why do you think they shouldn't?
This was a person and was totally dependent on their parent for their safety. Leaving a toddler in a hot car for 8 hours is criminal negligence causing death or involuntary manslaughter imo. I mean, she's obviously not safe to be in society if she can't even be bothered to remember about her infant/toddler for that span of time.
100%. Failure to provide critical care IMO

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I agree. It scares the hell out of me. I feel like I can see how it happens. I don’t think I’m any higher risk than anybody, but I can imagine someone under a lot of stress forgetting there was a sleeping baby in the car. Routine, and stress can teally affect people’s cognition and focus.

it is really frightening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...ail-why-parents-forget-their-children-n777076

Diamond has interviewed several parents whose children have died after being left in cars, and he said he often sees a pattern in the stories.

“When you drive home and don’t normally take a child to daycare, when you have a habit and you are normally driving home from work — and in those subsets or maybe none at all take a child home — well, what happens in all these cases, the parent goes into autopilot mode, which is typically from home to work. It’s in that subset of cases the basal ganglia is taking you on a route that does not include a child,” he said.

In these cases, Diamond said, the child is quiet and out of sight, which causes the parent to lose awareness of the task they’re out to do.

“The twist is, they did not stop at daycare on the way but brain creates false memory the child was at daycare,” Diamond said. “If the child isn’t in the car that child must be where the child belongs, and the parents go to work with absolute certainty the child is safe.”

Related: Texas Mother Accused of Leaving 2 Children to Die in Hot Car to Teach a ‘Lesson’

He said the brain will fill in the gaps, and the importance of the forgotten person or item doesn’t matter.

“What I try to get across to people is it’s not about the importance of the item. It’s about a dynamic brain system that can take things as trivial as a cup I left on my car,” Diamond sad. “And it goes to tragic memory failures such as leaving dogs in cars and leaving children in cars.”

When it comes to forgetting a child in the car, it’s all about routines and breaks in those routines that can prove fatal.

"Any person is capable of forgetting a child in a car under circumstances where a parent is going through a routine and the child is in the back,” Diamond said. “All those components, if they come into play, a child can die

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
it is really frightening.

What causes parents to forget children in hot cars?

Diamond has interviewed several parents whose children have died after being left in cars, and he said he often sees a pattern in the stories.

“When you drive home and don’t normally take a child to daycare, when you have a habit and you are normally driving home from work — and in those subsets or maybe none at all take a child home — well, what happens in all these cases, the parent goes into autopilot mode, which is typically from home to work. It’s in that subset of cases the basal ganglia is taking you on a route that does not include a child,” he said.

In these cases, Diamond said, the child is quiet and out of sight, which causes the parent to lose awareness of the task they’re out to do.

“The twist is, they did not stop at daycare on the way but brain creates false memory the child was at daycare,” Diamond said. “If the child isn’t in the car that child must be where the child belongs, and the parents go to work with absolute certainty the child is safe.”

Related: Texas Mother Accused of Leaving 2 Children to Die in Hot Car to Teach a ‘Lesson’

He said the brain will fill in the gaps, and the importance of the forgotten person or item doesn’t matter.

“What I try to get across to people is it’s not about the importance of the item. It’s about a dynamic brain system that can take things as trivial as a cup I left on my car,” Diamond sad. “And it goes to tragic memory failures such as leaving dogs in cars and leaving children in cars.”

When it comes to forgetting a child in the car, it’s all about routines and breaks in those routines that can prove fatal.

"Any person is capable of forgetting a child in a car under circumstances where a parent is going through a routine and the child is in the back,” Diamond said. “All those components, if they come into play, a child can die
The example I was thinking about is most of the time I take the train to work, sometimes I drive. I’ve been pre-occupied with work, gone into auto-pilot and accidentally taken the train home, leaving my car at work.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I think you need to be held accountable for it whether it be accidental or not. Isn't it manslaughter?
Why do you want to charge these parents when we don't charge parents who accidentally back the car over their child in their driveway?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Wut? Are you hitting the crack pile again?
You and zhivago make me laugh

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
you get charged if you leave a dog in the car so yeah you should get charged if you leave your kid in the car

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

it should be a capital offense to cook your kid to death 172 degrees is hot enough to cook inside your car.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Hey, I left a chocolate bar in my cup holder last week which made a fine mess, so who am I to judge?

Come on people, we're talking about a miniature human being, not a bag of gym clothes or a hat or something. Who would forget a kid in the car? Fuck even Sean Penn in "I Am Sam" had the wherewithal not to do that.

Yes they deserve to be criminally responsible (and I hope they burn in hell).
posts like this are how I know that you haven't researched how human memory works.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I know it is. It's happened repeatedly and been evaluated by a variety of scientists.
lol I wonder how this empirical research happened did the scientists lock kids inside cars for hours they go do errands.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
posts like this are how I know that you haven't researched how human memory works.
Is this something that regularly happens to non-drug using, non-head injury having people? Doubt it.

BTW... over half the States have laws against leaving animals in hot cars. But yall think it's fine and dandy to cook a kid in your car, just so long as you say "ooops.... my bad" afterwards. SMH

Some of you motherfuckers NEED JESUS

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
lol I wonder how this empirical research happened did the scientists lock kids inside cars for hours they go do errands.
If you've ever forgot your wallet or phone at a restaurant, you can forget your child in a car.
Human memory does not assign priority, recall happens by contextual triggers, not by "care".

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Is this something that regularly happens to non-drug using, non-head injury having people? Doubt it.

BTW... over half the States have laws against leaving animals in hot cars. But yall think it's fine and dandy to cook a kid in your car, just so long as you say "ooops.... my bad" afterwards. SMH

Some of you motherfuckers NEED JESUS
so...now I'm sure you have absolutely no idea how your memory works.
You think people who accidentally kill their child say "oops" and go on with their life?
now I'm sure you don't have kids, either.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
so...now I'm sure you have absolutely no idea how your memory works.
You think people who accidentally kill their child say "oops" and go on with their life?
now I'm sure you don't have kids, either.
Oh please, Mr. Scientist, tell me how memory works... lol smh. If you leave your kid in the back of a car to roast to death, you're a retard.

BTW, this thread is exactly why women end up getting the kids 99% of the time in custody battles. Dudes up in here like "oh yeah, I can definitely see roasting my child to death in a car. Shit happens."

Kids die in accidents when under parent supervision all the time in scenarios in which we don't hold the family criminally liable.
If a medical professional failed to do their job for 8 hours and it caused a 21-month year old to die, would that just be an "oh well, accidents happen," in your books?

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Why do you want to charge these parents when we don't charge parents who accidentally back the car over their child in their driveway?
The question is, why aren't we charging parents who accidentally back the car over their child?

You're right on this time too...

A hot car, a dead child: Oregon mom's lawyer explains how it happened

She awoke last Thursday morning to find her husband fast asleep on the couch. His night shift as an emergency room tech at Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg had ended only hours before.

So Nicole Engler, a pediatric nurse, decided to let him sleep. She would handle his usual day care duties for their daughter, Remington, before heading off to work.

She bundled up their 21-month-old daughter, the adored child she'd spent 15 years trying to conceive. She placed her carefully into the car. She left the house. Her minded drifted to her day ahead, and soon she was on her route to work.

Hours later, the 38-year-old mother left the office and returned to her car. There she found her daughter , known to her family as Remy, unconscious and blue.

The mother's shrieks could be heard across the parking lot, witnesses said.

The detailed account, told by Engler's lawyer Thursday, comes a week after that day ended with daughter dead and mother behind bars, begging guards to let her commit suicide

The night before, mother and daughter, alone in their Gordon Avenue home, ate breakfast for dinner scrambled eggs and watched the movie "Ratatouille," Terry said.

Engler followed the normal routine the next morning when she woke up. She got Remy out of bed and clothed her. She gave her daughter a bottle, which she always had while Dad drove her to day care.

But when she saw her husband fast asleep on the couch, she decided to drop Remy off instead.

The two left in the family's Honda CRV. Soon, Engler was on Northeast Diamond Lake Boulevard, following the 4-mile route she took to work each day.

She thought about her duties and work commitments that morning. An 8:15 a.m. appointment with a child. The meeting with parents where she'd deliver them bad news.

Engler never stopped at Cobb Street Children's Learning Center. Lost in thought, she pulled into the parking lot at Evergreen Family Medicine just before 8 a.m.

That afternoon, Engler got back into her car and drove to a Dutch Bros. Coffee stand she visited daily. She excitedly told the servers about the upcoming fishing trip in Mexico her family booked.

She gushed about Remy to the Dutch Bros employees. She returned to work.

About 4:30 p.m., Engler left her office. She arrived at her car. And screamed.
That story is beyond sad but I am a bit unclear now as to what you're asking:
Are we to argue what the law should be in such instances or if the law should be enforced?
Would people abuse that loophole if it existed? I think the answer is an unfortunate and resounding yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Oh please, Mr. Scientist, tell me how memory works... lol smh. If you leave your kid in the back of a car to roast to death, you're a retard.

BTW, this thread is exactly why women end up getting the kids 99% of the time in custody battles. Dudes up in here like "oh yeah, I can definitely see roasting my child to death in a car. Shit happens."
no. if you forget something, you're human. That's how human memory works.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
no. if you forget something, you're human. That's how human memory works.
Was that your big poignant thought? That all humans forget things? No shit. Like anything, there is layers to this shit homie. You forget an appointment? It happens. Forget to buy something at the supermarket? Whatever, you'll get it next time. Forget the name of someone you met at a party a week ago? Whatever.

When you put your child in a car on a hot day and forget about them for hours and they die of heat stroke, that goes beyond the average "whoospie daisy" memory lapse.