General What do you guys think about parents that accidentally leave their kids in hot cars???

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Also under their model if I give you exactly the standard of care for a heart attack exactly right and use a perfect check list protocol and you still die from your heart attack, it's a "medical error". That isn't an error. It's someone dying because they didn't respond to appropriate treatment.

I give you exactly the right antibiotics for your sepsis you still might die.

Then there's the real stuff where a patient is on the medical floor. They are decompensating. You have only so many ICU beds. You trial several interventions to not move them to the ICU or maybe not transfer to another hospital (there is harm in transport). You do your interventions, they are still going down, you then transfer them at that time because it isn't working. They die after transport. Maybe if you had transferred them an hour earlier they'd be alive. But also maybe you wasted a ton of money or killed them with the transport.

Regardless, none of the above is a "medical error".
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but if you give someone the "right" treatment and they die, how is it the right treatment?

The third of your examples definitely seems like an error in judgment.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I give you an antibiotic. I cure your pneumonia. You get clostridium difficile from the antibiotic even though I avoided the antibiotics that are most likely to cause it. I took all your risks into account. You get c diff and die. They call that a "medical error".

Chemo side effects...same answer.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I wouldn't go that far, but I'm in the camp that most of these mothers killing their kids are an accident that should not be legally punished.
Are you hitting the morphine button a little too often on your IV?

M

member 1013

So every time a treatment doesn’t work it’s negligence? There are no mitigating factors that could cause the treatment to fail, such as known success rates of said treatment, pre-existing conditions in the patient or simply that the condition was too advanced to treat.

Neato.

T

The Big Guy

I give you an antibiotic. I cure your pneumonia. You get clostridium difficile from the antibiotic even though I avoided the antibiotics that are most likely to cause it. I took all your risks into account. You get c diff and die. They call that a "medical error".

Chemo side effects...same answer.
I got stabbed and it was fine for two days
Sore and all but healing

Once a doctor got involved I got a staph infection. And they charged me(kinda) 5k for the stabbing and a separate head wound from another altercation that were treated the same day.

That's for about 30 stitches and maybe 15 staples and the cunt receptionist threatened to call the cops. I thought I chilled her out but they still came and had all kinds of questions about what happened and who dropped me off in a hospital parking lot at 2am in a town of less that 2k. HIPAA my ass

Hospitals are bullshit

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Uh, no one said sometimes it wasn’t.
The conversation started by me saying rarely are medical professionals charged criminally even though their actions lead to a lot of deaths. Then your dad got mad at me. Meanwhile he isn't even using lavender oil on these mother fuckers.

M

member 1013

The conversation started by me saying rarely are medical professionals charged criminally even though their actions lead to a lot of deaths. Then your dad got mad at me. Meanwhile he isn't even using lavender oil on these mother fuckers.
He refuses to join our oil selling “triangle arrangement”

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
He refuses to join our oil selling “triangle arrangement”
He's obviously getting that sweet, sweet big pharma money.

Serioulsy though, in Ontario most of our covid deaths in the seniors homes were because of staff not following safety practices. You hearing anything about them getting brought up on charges?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
adjective
  1. failing to take proper care in doing something.

In this case its taking the child out of the car. Seems pretty open and shut
not a legal definition, and it does not address that proper care has been taken and it's only a disastrous alignment of circumstances which led to the death.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
exactly - there's no lack of taking proper care, it's just circumstantial alignment. There's a world of research on the subject, it's not a lack of care or attention. It's a neurological blind spot present in all humans.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
exactly - there's no lack of taking proper care, it's just circumstantial alignment. There's a world of research on the subject, it's not a lack of care or attention. It's a neurological blind spot present in all humans.
Not knowing where your kids are is definitely a lack of taking proper care.

T

The Big Guy

not a legal definition, and it does not address that proper care has been taken and it's only a disastrous alignment of circumstances which led to the death.
Proper care has not been taken when a baby is left inside a car. I would call that the opposite of proper care.

As a society we call it negligence, If someone dies as a result of your negligence you should be held accountable