General What do you guys think about parents that accidentally leave their kids in hot cars???

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Proper care has not been taken when a baby is left inside a car. I would call that the opposite of proper care.

As a society we call it negligence, If someone dies as a result of your negligence you should be held accountable
people who forget their children in the car took proper care, but they fell victim to a cognitive gap that is present in everyone. They didn't do anything improper. If a frozen sewage chunk fell out of an airplane and crushed an infant in it's bed, would you say they parents hadn't taken proper care?

We're talking about the same thing. It's not a lack of caring or taking proper care. It's a neurological blind spot.

T

The Big Guy

people who forget their children in the car took proper care, but they fell victim to a cognitive gap that is present in everyone. They didn't do anything improper. If a frozen sewage chunk fell out of an airplane and crushed an infant in it's bed, would you say they parents hadn't taken proper care?

We're talking about the same thing. It's not a lack of caring or taking proper care. It's a neurological blind spot.
The cognitive gap shouldn't last 8 hours. I've burned breakfast before but I didnt go to work and not realize it was burnt until i got home

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The cognitive gap shouldn't last 8 hours. I've burned breakfast before but I didnt go to work and not realize it was burnt until i got home
probably because you don't burn breakfast every day. Are you denying the science? do you have additional information, or just the strength of your feels?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I agree. I'm just running the synopsis of considerations that people have raised in this thread about how one determines whether the criminal courts should be used in any situation.
Adding to that list of incomplete questions, does the victim need justice in this case? Is that obtained through the criminal court? Does the victim's family demand that Justice?
Defund the courts I say!

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

I hope you are in the middle of a master troll job that got us all.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Yes, it is the issue. You're trying to make the issue something different.
negligence is not taking the care that a normal person would feel is prudent.
If you don't think parents in this situation took normal care, then you don't understand how human memory works because you're unable to see past the limits of your own perception. You think you remember things because you care 'enough' about them. But that's false, and you'll never be able to show me a scientific study or opinion to that effect. It's just not true, in any way.

you remember things because of normal cues that trigger memories as part of a pattern. If something skips that pattern, you might not think about your kid being in the car all day. You'll think about your kid, but until something triggers that specific memory of the morning, you're operating on a pattern.

stop quoting your feels about bad parents, and show me some science that this is an act of negligence and not a tragic result of being a human.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
negligence is not taking the care that a normal person would feel is prudent.
If you don't think parents in this situation took normal care, then you don't understand how human memory works because you're unable to see past the limits of your own perception. You think you remember things because you care 'enough' about them. But that's false, and you'll never be able to show me a scientific study or opinion to that effect. It's just not true, in any way.

you remember things because of normal cues that trigger memories as part of a pattern. If something skips that pattern, you might not think about your kid being in the car all day. You'll think about your kid, but until something triggers that specific memory of the morning, you're operating on a pattern.

stop quoting your feels about bad parents, and show me some science that this is an act of negligence and not a tragic result of being a human.
Except checking your backseat is a very normal thing many people do. The stats prove your cognitive gap theory to be nothing more than feels while you make excuses for people to do stupid shit. Or in your case look for a chance to profit off of stupidity.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Except checking your backseat is a very normal thing many people do. The stats prove your cognitive gap theory to be nothing more than feels while you make excuses for people to do stupid shit. Or in your case look for a chance to profit off of stupidity.
no, checking the back seat is not in the specific situation.

Unless you want to make the argument that every person should check their back seat when they get out of the car.

Again - show me any science to support your position. And how am I profiting on stupidity?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Again - show me any science to support your position. And how am I profiting on stupidity?
Divide how many kids are killed on hot cars over the course of a year by how many trips kids take in cars and you'll have your answer.

You're profiting because you're creating a problem in order to solve it.

Yes, everyone should look in their backseat when they enter or exit a vehicle. Its common sense.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Divide how many kids are killed on hot cars over the course of a year by how many trips kids take in cars and you'll have your answer.
that's nonsensical. It's a statistical blip, so it must be negligence? how does that work?

I can tell you that there's an average of ~ 40 kids a year who die in cars in the US.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Can you provide a citation for this.
it's a "false memory" phenomenom.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
it's a "false memory" phenomenom.

So the first article basically states that this doesn't actually happen all the time. This being, children being left in a car, dying because of it or not.

The other 2 articles don't say anything about the frequency of that happening.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
So the first article basically states that this doesn't actually happen all the time. This being, children being left in a car, dying because of it or not.

The other 2 articles don't say anything about the frequency of that happening.
false memories happen all the time, it's only rare that it results in the death of a child. But short of having to call EMS, no one is self-reporting the time they left little Timmy in the car for 20m. In fact, if it's antithetical to how they view themselves (they consider themselves a good parent who would never forget their kid in the car) the more likely they are to forget the incident.

it's all in how your memory works.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
false memories happen all the time, it's only rare that it results in the death of a child. But short of having to call EMS, no one is self-reporting the time they left little Timmy in the car for 20m. In fact, if it's antithetical to how they view themselves (they consider themselves a good parent who would never forget their kid in the car) the more likely they are to forget the incident.

it's all in how your memory works.
Your own article states something like it happened 400 times in 20 years, that's not often.