General What do you think of this parent's response to their their son Quitting his job?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/r6o5bl/my_son_just_quit_his_45000year_job_without_any

I was shocked, needless to say. He was so excited when he got the job right out of college and my wife and I rejoiced with him. Over the course of the next couple of years, however, I saw the joy -- not just about the job, but about life in general -- drain away. Over Thanksgiving, he talked about insane deadlines, a boss who micromanaged, and a business owner who ruled with an iron fist. I encouraged him, but could tell he wasn't the happy-go-lucky son I once had.

So this past weekend, when he told us over the phone (he lives in a neighboring state) he walked off the job after a heated argument with his boss, he started sobbing and apologizing. I said, "Son, you have nothing to apologize for. No job is worth what I see this job doing to you." His "shame" was compounded by being married for only a couple of years and having a two-year-old daughter. He then asked if they could stay with us for a couple of months until he figures things out. I told him not to worry. We've got a big house and everyone is welcome.

More apologies. Promises he'd get a job as soon as he could. My wife and I told him not to worry about it. In fact, we said a condition of him returning would be that he NOT find work until he's taken care of himself. He struggles with depression anyway, so I said he should see a psych/therapist, get the help he needs to recover his mental wellness, and go from there. No timelines. No promises needed. He was beyond grateful. No parent wants to see their child struggle because of their job.

So this is a shout-out to all parents of children regardless of age: We can be a part of the antiwork/labor movement. We can be a "safe haven" from abusive work relationships. We can TRUST our kids to make the right choices and encourage them to do whatever they think they need to to have a fulfilling happy life. The only thing any good parent ever wants from their children is that they have the best of all life has to offer.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Good.

They are not enabling bad behavior or anything, they are trying to help em to lead a more fulfilling life.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Um....

So he quit his job and asked to move back home the same day?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
LOL @ "my boss is mean to me"

Suck it up buttercup. Or get a different job. You have a wife and a kid to support. Time to sack up and be a man.

Enabling weak-mindedness won't do anything to help him in the long run.

If he truly has mental issues with depression I guess a little sympathy is justified, but just telling him he can avoid responsibilty entirely isn't a path toward independence.

Eventually the parents will die.
Eventually he'll need to stand on his own 2 feet.
Best he learns to do that before his support system isn't there.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I think mental health is a hot topic. It's historically been neglected, so people are starting to address it. However, when I read reddit posts that talk about how the person needs to work on their mental health and gets triggered easily etc, I just roll my eyes.

Without knowing a bit more to this story, it's hard to form an opinion. If my adult son quits his job and wants to move into my house with his wife and child, I'm going to want more detail than the post provided.

Depression is no joke and shouldn't be dismissed but life is tough and it used to be a lot tougher, so if a regular middle class lifestyle is too much to handle, maybe you should drop the entitlement and stop being a baby.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think it’s good parenting if you can swing it financially. I was raised by old school working class values. My dad grew up poor so growing up I was always told “Be thankful for your job and what the boss says goes.”. If I ever complained about work when I was a kid (I worked factory and labour jobs as a teen and in my early twenties, my dad would just shrug and say “What are you going to do? He’s the boss”. This is a good in ways because it makes you a hard worker and teaches you to suck it up, but it also teaches you to eat shit and not take control of your work environment. It’s a slippery slope because if you need the job and don’t have other options you need to suck it up and eat shit, but at the same time I think it’s good to have a healthy self preservation where if you’ve being stepped on or disrespected at work you can tell your boss to “fuck off” and walk away from a job that is beating you down.

I’d hope if my kid was truly miserable I’d be able to help them out so they could walk away from a job while they look for a new one.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
I don’t have a kid, so let me give me parenting advice.

I understand wanting to help your kids out, but holy shit, this is enabling. If you don’t like your job and you have a boss that is mean to you, then find another job. When the parent noticed the job was draining their kid, they should’ve talked to them about it, and said, “it’s time for you to look for another job. Don’t quit until you have found another. You have a kid to feed.”

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think it’s good parenting if you can swing it financially. I was raised by old school working class values. My dad grew up poor so growing up I was always told “Be thankful for your job and what the boss says goes.”. If I ever complained about work when I was a kid (I worked factory and labour jobs as a teen and in my early twenties, my dad would just shrug and say “What are you going to do? He’s the boss”. This is a good in ways because it makes you a hard worker and teaches you to suck it up, but it also teaches you to eat shit and not take control of your work environment. It’s a slippery slope because if you need the job and don’t have other options you need to suck it up and eat shit, but at the same time I think it’s good to have a healthy self preservation where if you’ve being stepped on or disrespected at work you can tell your boss to “fuck off” and walk away from a job that is beating you down.

I’d hope if my kid was truly miserable I’d be able to help them out so they could walk away from a job while they look for a new one.
it's privileged parenting, not sure how it's going to play out...but they're not cultivating a personality of responsibility.

you have kids, you have to be emotionally mature enough to pocket your tantrum until you've got another gig lined up.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don’t have a kid, so let me give me parenting advice.

I understand wanting to help your kids out, but holy shit, this is enabling. If you don’t like your job and you have a boss that is mean to you, then find another job. When the parent noticed the job was draining their kid, they should’ve talked to them about it, and said, “it’s time for you to look for another job. Don’t quit until you have found another. You have a kid to feed.”
if my kid called me up and said "I can't take this cunt any more, can I move back in with you if I don't find something else by the end of the month?"

i'd be in. but not the way this person went about it.

when I was 19, my dad told me "I ain't runnin a flop house. Get back in college, join the military, or I can get you a job at the factory."

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

If you plan to support your adult child and his family indefinitely, why send him to college?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
This reminds me of the new type of astrology I'm going to introduce. Instead of being like "You were born in January: Today is going to present you with opportunities if you look in the right places." It's going to be based on your stranding in life.

So in this guy's case it would be "You have a supportive, affluent family: You're going to face an existential crisis, but it won't be related to making ends meet.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
When the parent noticed the job was draining their kid, they should’ve talked to them about it, and said, “it’s time for you to look for another job. Don’t quit until you have found another. You have a kid to feed.”

This is where I'm at. Proactive coaching would have been the answer.
" It's obvious you don't like this job and it's taking its toll on you. You know you don't have to stay forever and it's a buyer's market right now. Why don't you start looking so you can get out of the situation?"

M

member 1013

This is where I'm at. Proactive coaching would have been the answer.
" It's obvious you don't like this job and it's taking its toll on you. You know you don't have to stay forever and it's a buyer's market right now. Why don't you start looking so you can get out of the situation?"
Never, not once, did you support and advise me, dad.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
anybody can get a better job right now. if your not happy where you are the by all means quit but dont quit before you have another job lined up.right now there are help wanted signs everywhere. before covid i hadnt seen a help wanted sign in like 20 years . now not only are they hiring everywhere but they are offering better wages ,signing bonuses and retention bonuses . some times life sucks. sometimes your boss is a fuckin goof . no one says you have to work there . you are free to leave at any time

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
On one hand, work/life balance is important. You spend too much of your life at work to be miserable about it.

On the other hand, this guy has a kid now. So the rules for him have now changed, and he needs to suck it up, get over himself and do what he can to find a better job while he continues to go to work to provide clothing and food and independent housing for his child.

??