Listen What, In Your Opinion, Is the Greatest Album of All Time??

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Okay, so a few ground rules to keep things civil.

How many copies it sold is irrelevant as it's an opinion based question. I also don't care that something was a "critical" success although cultural significance seems somewhat relevant. Just curious what people around here listened too front to back, and thought "Holy fuck there are no holes in this album."

For me it's probably Nirvana's Nevermind. Just last week I downloaded and listened to it front to back, in natural album order. Its really is staggeringly good. Especially when you remember that Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" was the #1 album when Nevermind was released. Van Halen would probably be my honorable mention.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
For me it is this Album
9 songs, and it has never disappointed front to back

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yh1kluRfSY

Audio recorded from Vinyl version

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpRow7J2uY

Recording Dire Straits was recorded at Basing Street Studios in London from 13 February to 5 March 1978. Knopfler used a few guitars for the recording, including a pair of red Fender Stratocasters—one from 1961 (serial number 68354) and one from 1962 (serial number 80470). He played his 1938 National Style O 14 fret guitar (serial number B1844) on "Water of Love" and "Wild West End". He also used a black Telecaster Thinline (serial number 226254) on "Setting Me Up". David played a black Fender Stratocaster and a Harmony Sovereign acoustic guitar. The album was produced by Muff Winwood, and engineered by Rhett Davies,assisted by Greg Cobb Release The album was released in October 1978. The first single released was "Sultans of Swing" which first broke into the United States top five early in the spring of 1979, becoming a hit a full five months after the album was released there, and then reached number eight in the UK Singles Chart. "Water of Love" was also released as a single in some countries, and charted in Australia, reaching number 54, and in the Netherlands, reaching number 28.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Just to contribute eventhough I'm sure I'll get roasted. I love all types of music for the most part but the first album that comes to mind that I've heard that meets OP's requirements in my opinion is...

Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory"

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Just to contribute eventhough I'm sure I'll get roasted. I love all types of music for the most part but the first album that comes to mind that I've heard that meets OP's requirements in my opinion is...

Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory"

What's the track list on that bad boy? Was that something you'd just sit and listen all the way through?

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Hey, I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I’m certainly not the dumbest. I mean, I’ve read books like “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” and “Love in the Time of Cholera”, and I think I’ve understood them. They’re about girls, right? Just kidding. But I have to say my all-time favorite book is Johnny Cash’s autobiography “Cash” by Johnny Cash.
(Rob from High Fidelity)

Seriously though, good thread, tough choice. I have many more “favorite” albums but I think two of the greatest are:

- “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers” by the Wu Tang Clan - It was groundbreaking and equally skillful and raw.

- “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse - Pure emotion and the perfect tortured voice to bring the lyrics to life.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Dude, why do you have to scramble my brain like this? I listen to so much different music, much of which is listening/considering albums in their entirety. This will take some serious deep thought lol
I thought it would be a fun thought exercise.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
For myself, out of all the music I love, I've probably listened to Bitches Brew the most.

From the first sound to the last. No stupid vocalist, nothing but the best musicians making very creative new music. The solos are magnificent.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
For myself, out of all the music I love, I've probably listened to Bitches Brew the most.

From the first sound to the last. No stupid vocalist, nothing but the best musicians making very creative new music. The solos are magnificent.
*Cries in Jerry Garcia*

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Depends on my mood, but just off the top of my head. Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Van Halen(first), Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon, Celtic Frost-Emperor's Return, The Cult-Love, Slayer-Hell Awaits, Megadeth-Peace Sells, but Who's Buying?, Ozzy-Tribute, Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman, Janis Joplin- Greatest Hits and last bit not least Frankie Goes to Hollywood- Welcome to the Pleasure Dome. And It takes a Nation of Millions by Public Enemy. Not to be wishy-washy- just wanted to share albums that I can listen to start to finish.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Depends on my mood, but just off the top of my head. Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Van Halen(first), Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon, Celtic Frost-Emperor's Return, The Cult-Love, Slayer-Hell Awaits, Megadeth-Peace Sells, but Who's Buying?, Ozzy-Tribute, Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman, Janis Joplin- Greatest Hits and last bit not least Frankie Goes to Hollywood- Welcome to the Pleasure Dome. And It takes a Nation of Millions by Public Enemy. Not to be wishy-washy- just wanted to share albums that I can listen to start to finish.
Pick one.

and GTFO here with your "Greatest Hits"

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Notorious big - born again.

Oasis - what's the story.