What is the absolute cheapest LED TV w/ VGA input?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
So as the title says I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. If you don't wanna read the FRAT, please provide a link to the absolute cheapest TV/VGA monitor deal you know of. If you're interested in the details here is what's up:

Anyway

Unfortunately, like a week ago, an entire glass of water spilled all over my monitor & keyboard when my cat jumped up on my desk and knocked it over. Immediately parts of the screen started turning pink, green, yellow etc. Now as the days go on, especially in the last 2 or 3, there are gigantic, colored blotches/lines going up the screen, growing every day. I assume it's water trapped in there or some shit.

I literally know nothing, nothing at all, about this kind of shit. Can anyone provide me with either a few links or whatever, to an LED (or LCD? does it matter?) TV with a VGA input (regular PC monitor input). That is what I've had in my room... a 17 inch LED TV with VGA. I think it'd LED anyway, I have no idea as it was given to me a few years ago when I got someone's broken PC after they upgraded. Could be LCD, but I don't know or care.

I am literally looking for the cheapest option, I don't care about brand name or quality. In fact, I think I'd rather go the refurbished route, solely based on how cheap the shit is. I checked walmart.com (again, based solely on my desire for the absolute cheapest thing available) and did find this, which seemed like a shockingly good deal to me. I thought something this size, being that it's both a TV and monitor, would be $200-300 or some shit. But I have literally never purchased a TV in my life, it's all been second hand shit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-EL...ished/38661982

Is this worth saving up to get? Or is this kind of thing (wal mart refurbished shit) a rip off and too good to be true? When I see a price that low, I automatically assume there has to be a reason why. However, last year in April, I did get my PC on eBay for only $99 after my old one finally shit the bed.. It's refurbished, but is very modern (came out in 2012) - especially compared to the piece of shit I had before. It didn't come with an OS, which was fine with me. It's been running absolutely perfect since last year with not a problem

I'm broke anyway so I don't plan on getting something for at least a month or two. If this pink line shit gets way worse, I will probably dig up an old 1990s CRT monitor from my basement to use for the computer, lol.. but I won't have any TV. I thought I would be way more fucked if I wanted a monitor that was both (TV/VGA), but when I saw walmart had one for 89, I realized that might actually be doable somewhere down the line.

ADVICE APPRECIATED

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
That chick that moved to Cali looked to have the best body. You better take a road trip and get on that!

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Sorry dudes. I ended up changing my mind because I realized anyone can see that shit, it's not a private access thing for registered members or blue names like the After Dark UG board

I just don't wanna risk it. My name is literally my screen name, and even though we are small here.. Who knows what jealous white knight UG haters might try to pull off.

If anyone saw them or missed out who wants them just PM me

Gona check Tiger Direct now. I looked into them for a PC last year and they had the same one I got on ebay but were out of stock. I actually found out about it on there, so I greatly appreciate you posting that link man. I totally forgot about them until now

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't know if you have an HDMI out on you pc, if so you can probably hookup any modern tv up as a monitor.
i have no clue were to look in the US for this but i found one link with a refurbished samsung tv that is pretty cheap, but i don't know the price range you are looking for.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...uId=1311662291

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
No HDMI out, I have VGA only. The only TV I had was the monitor/TV that I spilled shit on, lol. I don't watch TV at all really.. So just looking for the cheapest thing out there

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the link dude. Like I said though, I don't have another TV/monitor I could use to hook up the PC into sadly.

What are your guys thoughts on refurbished shit in general? Is it hit or miss? Should you always get a warranty just in case?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Galanis;n14738 said:
Thanks for the link dude. Like I said though, I don't have another TV/monitor I could use to hook up the PC into sadly.

What are your guys thoughts on refurbished shit in general? Is it hit or miss? Should you always get a warranty just in case?
I think you'll probably find something decent, for what you would pay for refurbished. Fuck the warranty...just my opinion though. I never buy them.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
oh and to answer your question

If you get warranty refurbished shouldn't be a problem, but when you don't it's to big of risk, especially if money is tight at the moment you don't want the screen to crap out on you within a month a be screwed out of your money.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thank you for those links man. I really appreciate that. I was on best buy too. Sadly, almost everything that isn't like 13 inches is out of my range price wise

I was browsing eBay and at the moment, there are a few monitors that are LED, HDTVs with VGA input (all used) for around $70. They seem to be 17-19 inches. That is something I would probably have to go for eventually. I just dunno about buying a used monitor off of there because who knows how long it would last?

Either way, none of this matters at the moment because until this screen has become completely engrossed in bright pink dead pixelation (it's at maybe 10% now on the bottom right), I will hang on to this son of a bitch for dear life lol. Speaking of eBay though, I was actually going through some old storage and found various collectibles that I don't care for/don't display anymore (lots of horror movie stuff, some sports stuff, that kinda thing). I've always had way too much stuff as is, so I think I may actually try going through all the shit I have and get rid of anything that is just packed away in a dark basement.

For example, I have all of my Super Nintendo games from when I was a kid. There are probably 30 or so. Out of those, most are worth between $5 and $8, or less.. common stuff everyone has. BUT, I did have a game called Chrono Trigger, which until about a year ago, I had no idea was one of the rarest and most desired Super Nintendo games there is (if I had the box and directions, it would pretty much be the most expensive used game out there). When I found out, I looked it up and was shocked that they were selling for $80-100 for just the cartridge. Best of all, out of the 30 or so games I've owned since the 90s, I would say I really enjoyed around 18 to 20 of them. The other ones, like Chrono Trigger, were either games I tried and didn't care for, birthday gifts, whatever.

So I ended up putting that up on eBay about 2 months ago, at a buy it now price of 99.99, just to see if anyone would actually buy it. The game sold the same day I put it up. I was like oh fuck, haha. So, now that I actually got back on eBay for a bit to check out monitors and whatnot, seeing that old stuff that I have no use for makes me realize that hey.. someone else can enjoy those things a lot more than I do nowadays, so I might as well make a few bucks off of them when money is tight.

If I find any boxing or MMA stuff I will post it up here.

If you guys have any eBay tips let me know, for selling and whatnot. I am kind of a n00b with that.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
God damn, I just found this thing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231343660509...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

23" wide screen, 720p HDTV with VGA input and all that shit. Also, it has built in speakers. They are refurbished, but it says over 220 have sold. I went to the buyer's feedback page and 99% of every one he sold had great feedback from the buyer.

Since I'm not going to be getting the TV/monitor right away anyway.. This IMO is something that may be worth saving a little extra for. It's not like it's $100 extra - like I said, the cheapest ones on there are used and from random people, for around $70 or so. They are also a lot smaller than this, and you can get a warranty here.

I've never heard of the brand though. Does anyone know Vizio? It seems legit to me and like the best possible deal on there (and I have been searching for hours, to).. But, if I do go out of my way to save money to get something like this, I wanna make sure I am not getting a cheap, knock off piece of junk. I know at $100 it's not gonna be the most amazing thing there is, but it does look really solid and has good reviews online it seems.

However, I've always learned when shit is too good to be true, it usually is... That's why I gotta be kind skeptical. Because there is not a single other TV this size on there, or anywhere else (even refurbished) that is this cheap.

Then again I've had a standard, cheap Walmart flat screen TV/monitor for at least 5 years now. I think it's completely fine, so I'd imagine that thing to be pretty sweet. The one I have now is 17", so I can't imagine how much of a great upgrade a 23" would be. I've never owned an HDTV, because like I said, I just have no use for TV at all aside from watching fights. I just figure that since shit is so cheap now, if I had to get a new monitor no matter what

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

What do you guys think? Worth $100 + the $30 2 year warranty? It seems like this is not just a one time auction and that it will be on there for a good long while, so I'd imagine I'd be able to still get one after saving extra cash for a bit. Like I said above, there is 200+ sold, so this must be a company that does professional refurbishing or something. That makes me feel a little more trusting, because it's not just some guy that fixed a TV at his house, haha.

The main reason I'm asking and going into so much detail is because if I buy some shit like this, I really, really do not wanna have to get something else in just a couple years. I have no use for a big ass TV and no space either. This would be right on my desk.. so to me it's huge and would be an awesome thing to get that I'd use for years.

But if it's an absolute bottom of the barrel TV that is more than likely gonna shit the bed, I dunno haha. The extra $70 or so between this and the cheap ass tiny ones is a lot and I don't wanna regret it. Like I said, not a huge TV guy anyway. I don't need the best quality, highest definition. Just wanna make sure it works for 5 years at least.

Gotta be some tech knowledgeable dudes on here. I used to know shit, but these days I don't even have a cell phone.. the shit is just annoying, constantly upgrading, constantly attached to devices everywhere you go.. Weird. When I'd leave the house without my touch screen phone when I last had one, I'd feel sick and worried like "oh my god I can't believe I left without this phone, what ever will I do"... So glad not to have that weird attachment anymore to a little computer in my pocket.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't know the brand, but well if you rocked a wallmart screen for 5 years this should be fine the reviews seem to be okay.

About the phone part i use it mostly as "pocket pc", i forget it often and i don't really give a shit if i do.
lol i actually don't call or text that often, i hate texting 20 min conversation that should have been 30sec if you just called.