Society What is your country doing about the economy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Obviously we're all screwed. What actions has your country's government and/or central bank pushed through to address the crisis?

If you're not sure, here's a cheat sheet that's being continuously updated.

Government Stimulus Efforts to Fight the COVID-19 Crisis
My EI will run out in the next few weeks. Normally I’d start working in the middle of April but I’m not being called back to work because of the virus.

My wife’s a nurse so she continues to work.

I have no clue when I’ll be called back and I have to stay at home to look after my kids. I think I’ll qualify for the program but have no idea till my current claim runs out.

Strange things are afoot in the Canadian government.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Brazilian Senate is expected to approve today the welfare policy that will grant R$ 600,00 (roughly 120 US dollars) to small individual businessmen, informal workers and other vulnerable people, limited to R$ 1.200 per couple. This will save the middle class from chaos but the poorest of the poor will remain on their own luck as access to this money will likely depend on previous register on government programs. so that mass of people who live outside of the institutionalized world will not be granted.

Overview of the situation in Brazil:

Brazil has about 40,000 intensive care units overall; roughly 18,000 are in the private system;

if social isolation measures are perfectly performed, ~40,000 people are expected to die; if Bozo gets his way and life returns to normal because of "the economy", 2 million people are expected to die;

if social isolation is broken there won't be enough ICUs available for everybody that needs them; health professionals will have to pick and choose who lives and dies. even people that have a past history as athletes and thus are immune to coronavirus, if they get in a car accident, or if someone has a heart attack or something, there will not be room for them in the health system;

the country needs about R$ 200 billion to deal with the crisis; it has about R$ 3 trillions stashed but neoliberal authorities don't wanna use it;

the first measure that was taken when the crisis started was to save the banks. the government bought rotten credit that might never be paid and gave the banks a fat R$ 1.2 trillion without demanding a single measly counter measure. the banks just took the money and kept going as normal while everybody else is fucked;

yesterday Bozo went for a walk in the metropolitan area of federal capital Brasília and keeps saying that social isolation must end. he was looking exactly like Hitler without the mustache in an interview afterwards when he said, among other stupidities, that "everybody will die eventually, but the economy can't stop";

the State Senator who provided some of the info above said that the overall strategy in Congress and within some sections of the government is to just ignore Bozo and do what needs to be done;

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
our president is giving our money to china for ventilators and masks which could be made here in the u.s instead. which I'm guessing is probably not good for the economy and will instead help china become more of a world power while the entire world is weak.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Isn't it really just us getting some of our own money back?
iirc that 2 trillon was only a small amount of the money they had available they could of given us 1200 every two weeks if they wanted to that would have been better communism from trump.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Our government announced on Friday that if small businesses keep their employees on, but have to send them home because reasons they'll cover 75% of their wages. Still leaves a lot of people out in the cold, but this is the first strong step I've seen in the right direction, so that makes me happy.

^
Suck on that La Paix @Nuk Soo Kow

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
iirc that 2 trillon was only a small amount of the money they had available they could of given us 1200 every two weeks if they wanted to that would have been better communism from trump.
I'll take more of my money back.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If I understand correctly the U.S. government is giving people $1200 they're supposed to use to buy guns.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
not by that much a smith and wesson sdve 9mm or .40 s&w costs about the same as a walther p22 which is a pretty shitty gun that jams all the time.
The $1200 is to buy a gun, not to see how shitty a gun you can buy with that $1200.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Our government announced on Friday that if small businesses keep their employees on, but have to send them home because reasons they'll cover 75% of their wages.
this + securing finances but controlling interest rates they’ll earn are the two most important macroeconomic measures a government can take now. Trump has been slow to react to the crisis but he is acting more or less like the leader he is supposed to be.

Brazil is doing none of this. Neoliberals have now the chance to prove that decades of forced fiscal adjustment were worth something but they rather add death as a variable to their equation and go on with it. Governments should be sending a credit card to everybody and developing a system where you can only spend it on businesses that compromise to not fire anybody.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
this + securing finances but controlling interest rates they’ll earn are the two most important macroeconomic measures a government can take now. Trump has been slow to react to the crisis but he is acting more or less like the leader he is supposed to be.
Donald Trump is the president of the United States of America.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
@Kneeblock

You know what would be nice?

If we were able to recover that 2.3 Trillion Dollars that went missing and was reported by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld on 9/10/2001 the day before 9-11.

(That would be $8,000 for every Man,Women, and Child.)

And imagine if we used it to take care of people (health care) instead of developing ways to explode people into bits...

namaste

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
BTW I forgot to say - Brazil is investing 2% of GDP to act on the crisis; US, UK and most of Europe are investing more than 10%. there is one example (Turkey iirc) where they're investing 17%.

Just saw on TV now that Bozo is making headlines around the world as the worldwide champion of the backwards fight against social isolation. Also the Senate approved the welfare help I mentioned above and published a 'manifesto' in favor of isolation. Everybody is really just ignoring Bozo, like you'd say to a child "Go play in the corner while we're talking serious here".