General What is your definition of being "in shape"?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
If it had to be narrowed down to a one liner, I'd say "fit = 16% body fat and below"
It doesn't have to be narrowed down to a one liner. Break it down. No less than x bench/squat/deadlift... No slower than y minutes per mile. No more than z % body fat. Or of you're into swimming, cycling, whatever your thing is... But good start imo.

I'm not sure on body fat, but I'd say for the general population, sub 8 minute miles would be considered in shape. Were not talking athlete here. That would probably be 6 or less maybe. Anything in the 6's is great shape imo.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I used to box. I only ever used to care about being ready to fight. That’s the only way I ever measured whether I was in shape..... if I was fight-ready. I no longer look at it in terms of being in shape. I’m just trying to be healthy.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
In shape for what?

The what really matters.

I would struggle mightily to run a mile in 8 minutes but I could row one silly fast.

I can't bench press for shit but I can lift anything that I need to pick up above my head.

I can't swim at all but I could play a game of basketball without issue.

Catch me on the right day and I still have abs.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes of a hard roll because it's been so long but I can still box a solid 8 rounds.

The what really does matter when asking what the ideal "in shape" would look like.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I'm in shape to post on this forum, but that's about it.

Generally, at this point in my life, if I can walk up and down a flight of steps without getting winded or having any body aches, I'm in shape.

M

member 1013

Only people who can bench 225 for 15 + reps, squat twice their bodyweight ass to grass, run a 4.3 forty and a four minute mile are in shape

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Much like gender and race, fitness is a social construct. We are what we identify as.

This is what you might see when you look at me, but it does not define who I am.
1614018986893.png

I just don't want my man boobs or pot belly anymore. I don't need to be cut up or ripped, I would just prefer my body fat % to be where it's recommend.

M

member 3289

I always look at my level of fitness in terms of running stamina. If I can run 3 miles and not be ready to collapse at the end, I'm in shape.

I'd collapse after half a mile right now.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
The ability to tie your shoes without having to take a knee.

I always look at my level of fitness in terms of running stamina. If I can run 3 miles and not be ready to collapse at the end, I'm in shape.

I'd collapse after half a mile right now.
I did a 5k and felt like a fat asshole. I maybe ran about half of it at best. I didn't feel like I was dying though.

M

member 3289

I did a 5k and felt like a fat asshole. I maybe ran about half of it at best. I didn't feel like I was dying though.
I usually notice it in my breathing. When the heavier breaths become easier, I can keep my mouth half closed, and the air feels cooler when I breathe in, I know my fitness level is improving.

In the beginning the air feels hot as fuck and I usually have to take huge gulps of air with my mouth wide open.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
As good looking as I am and no gut anymore tells me I am in good shape

at Least I don’t have toothpick arms