What is Your Preferred Ruleset???

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

What Ruleset Do You Prefer?

• Vale Tudo!

• PRIDE Rules + Elbows

• PRIDE Rules

• Unified Rules

• Unified Rules Minus Elbows

Results are only viewable after voting.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Wow... haven't done one of these in a LONG time so I figured we're do...

What

SAY

You?

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
No option for Unified Rules + Knees to the Head Always Legal + 12/6 elbows? I feel like that should be an option.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I'd say the new unified rules + 12/6 elbows. I'm still not entirely on board with kicks to the head of a grounded opponent, mostly because I don't think it would be good for the sport's palatability in this climate.

PrideNeverDie

Posting Machine
Feb 6, 2016
Vale Tudo. Bare knuckle will reduce and hand injuries IMO. The way fighting was intended to be.
Always thought this " bare knuckle will reduce hand injuries " was dumb , its not as if there gonna throw love taps at each other because there not wearing gloves

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
New unified with no elbows on the ground.

Nemo?

Dec 2, 2015
why no elbows ?
Open's up the ground game.... less wrestlers staying in half guard and rabbit elbowing to stay active.

That's the reason why pride's grapplers were so interesting.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Not literally Vale Tudo, but as few rules as possible.

Obvious things like eye gouging and spike elbows to the back of the neck need to be illegal. Tape and gloves should also be illegal (opposite of the current rule). Glad to see the grounded opponent rules slowly changing, but they have a LONG way to go. For example, it's absolutely ridiculous that it's illegal for you to throw kicks and knees against a kneeling opponent when you are flat on your back.

PrideNeverDie

Posting Machine
Feb 6, 2016
Open's up the ground game.... less wrestlers staying in half guard and rabbit elbowing to stay active.

fair point but i dont think it would have the same effect in this era ( especially in the ufc ) , Pride was a completely different animal with less emphasis on win/loss .
you could well be right but without elbows i think those same wrestlers are just throwing 3 inch hammer punches

Nemo?

Dec 2, 2015
fair point but i dont think it would have the same effect in this era ( especially in the ufc ) , Pride was a completely different animal with less emphasis on win/loss .
you could well be right but without elbows i think those same wrestlers are just throwing 3 inch hammer punches
Still have to create space to punch effectively IMO.

I think the change of pace would be awesome.

PrideNeverDie

Posting Machine
Feb 6, 2016
Still have to create space to punch effectively IMO.

I think the change of pace would be awesome.
what im trying to say is the wrestlers your talking about arent suddenly gonna start jumping on armbars because elbows are now illegal , they are fighting the the way they are because its probably the only way they know how or are comfortable with , by no means am i saying your wrong in your opinion ... just giving my own ;)

Nemo?

Dec 2, 2015
what im trying to say is the wrestlers your talking about arent suddenly gonna start jumping on armbars because elbows are now illegal , they are fighting the the way they are because its probably the only way they know how or are comfortable with , by no means am i saying your wrong in your opinion ... just giving my own ;)
No I am saying it when inside a persons guard it would be truly a 50/50 position. Giving submission artist's and bottom players something to work with.

PS I'm all for friendly convo fren.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No option for Unified Rules + Knees to the Head Always Legal + 12/6 elbows? I feel like that should be an option.
You could be right. Though we have never seen a promotion with that Ruleset. I think that is why I left it out. I don't remember - it was late and I ate a lot last night (the old man version of drinking too much)...

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Always thought this " bare knuckle will reduce hand injuries " was dumb , its not as if there gonna throw love taps at each other because there not wearing gloves
Actually what is does DEFINITELY do is reduce the amount of punches. It is totally unnatural to throw so many punches so guys end up holding back and relying on other techniques. I was always very down with the idea of having gloves be optional so that a serious BJJ guy could use ungloved hands to his benefit the way a striker uses gloved hands to his.....

Last edited:

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

with no options to strike a downed opponent besides punches I think it would create more LnP to be honest. Because once you have a guy down, getting active and creating distance to punch without it getting tangled up just opens you up to being sweep and subs. So what would be the incentive to do so when you can't knee, elbow or kick a downed opponent? If you just lay there under the unified rules and wrestlefuck a guy you will win the fight since the Unified has no yellow cards and points are almost NEVER taken away in the 10/9 scoring system.

Just my 2 cents...

PrideNeverDie

Posting Machine
Feb 6, 2016
Actually what is does DEFINITELY do is reduce the amount of punches. It is totally unnatural to throw so many punches so guys end up hold off and relying on other techniques. I was always very down with the idea of having gloves be optional so that a serious BJJ guy could use gloves hands to hi benefit the way a striker uses gloves to his.....
fair enough , i agree there wont be as much reckless punches being thrown but is it not safe to assume that the amount of hand and wrist breaks would go up because fighters are still gonna throw punches with no protection or support ?

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not literally Vale Tudo, but as few rules as possible.

Obvious things like eye gouging and spike elbows to the back of the neck need to be illegal. Tape and gloves should also be illegal (opposite of the current rule). Glad to see the grounded opponent rules slowly changing, but they have a LONG way to go. For example, it's absolutely ridiculous that it's illegal for you to throw kicks and knees against a kneeling opponent when you are flat on your back.
I think my ideal would be PRIDE Rules + Elbows + Headbutts with the 10+5+5 round structure.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
fair enough , i agree there wont be as much reckless punches being thrown but is it not safe to assume that the amount of hand and wrist breaks would go up because fighters are still gonna throw punches with no protection or support ?
Actually, I do disagree with Wild on that point. Dudes would break their hands/wrists just as much as now.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
with no options to strike a downed opponent besides punches I think it would create more LnP to be honest. Because once you have a guy down, getting active and creating distance to punch without it getting tangled up just opens you up to being sweep and subs.
No elbows also gives the bottom guy a greater incentive to stall in closed guard and wait for a standup. I'd rather let the top guy get the bottom guy to open up by elbowing him in the face a few times.

It's like the old saying: Ask a BJJ guy how to break open closed guard, and he'll tell you to stand up or work your knee into the middle. Ask an MMA guy, and he'll tell you to hit the bottom guy in the face a few times.