What manly sh!t have you done today?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Holy shit you are skilled bruv

Wielding a hog nose is like flying a fighter jet

you must have had a huge adrenaline rush
I'm definitely more Maverick than I am Iceman when I get a powertool in my hand.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Done. If I can get this cleaned up before the wife gets home I might not be in too much trouble.

I did this because I had some drywall repair (like a 10"x10" patch) to do in another part of the house. Rather than buy new drywall, I ripped this thing apart so i could use this drywall for the patch. The closet was coming out eventually, just not yet.

20220402_191110.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Mission accomplished.

20220402_201314.jpg

This mudroom is next on the reno list. The linoleum flooring is nauseating.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Today I helped my son cut out his first Pinewood Derby car. With assistance, he cut it out with a scroll saw and then used a combo belt/disc sander to get the shape he drew. And then some hand sanding to get ready for spray paint.

fun times, and though it’s been decades now, I remember making these with my dad. Guess we’ll see how he places during the race!

edit: this is the shape he chose and drew on the template
447C05D2-0ED8-42EB-A7EE-A3C7E861424D.jpeg

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Today I helped my son cut out his first Pinewood Derby car. With assistance, he cut it out with a scroll saw and then used a combo belt/disc sander to get the shape he drew. And then some hand sanding to get ready for spray paint.

fun times, and though it’s been decades now, I remember making these with my dad. Guess we’ll see how he places during the race!

edit: this is the shape he chose and drew on the template
View attachment 64879
i have some Mormon friends, they are/were REAL big in Boy Scouts out here.

Friend has 7 boys, and I'm over at his house on a Saturday while youngest and BFF are over. They're all excited to design their PWD car. He gives themm each a sheet of graph paper "draw out your car and we'll cut it out on the bandsaw." So they're gone for probably 2 hours drawing, erasing, tweaking, finally the cut out their pattern and carefully tape it to their block.

"OK, let's go to the bandsaw". Takes each block and does one straight corner-to-corner diagonal cut. Hands triangles of wood to shocked kids.

"It's always a triangle".

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
i have some Mormon friends, they are/were REAL big in Boy Scouts out here.

Friend has 7 boys, and I'm over at his house on a Saturday while youngest and BFF are over. They're all excited to design their PWD car. He gives themm each a sheet of graph paper "draw out your car and we'll cut it out on the bandsaw." So they're gone for probably 2 hours drawing, erasing, tweaking, finally the cut out their pattern and carefully tape it to their block.

"OK, let's go to the bandsaw". Takes each block and does one straight corner-to-corner diagonal cut. Hands triangles of wood to shocked kids.

"It's always a triangle".
A number of the cars I made as a kid were wedge-shaped. We watched some YouTube videos and there is some physicist who did a bunch of experiments with these. Apparently 0.9 inches in front of the rear axle is the money spot for weight. Now that we have it cut out, we can paint and add the wheels. Maximum weight limit is 5 oz, so we’ll have to figure out how much to add. Fun stuff, my dad nerded out with this when we were kids so it’s fun and reminiscent to do the same now ?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
A number of the cars I made as a kid were wedge-shaped. We watched some YouTube videos and there is some physicist who did a bunch of experiments with these. Apparently 0.9 inches in front of the rear axle is the money spot for weight. Now that we have it cut out, we can paint and add the wheels. Maximum weight limit is 5 oz, so we’ll have to figure out how much to add. Fun stuff, my dad nerded out with this when we were kids so it’s fun and reminiscent to do the same now ?
there's a couple web pages devoted to "ideal" PWD cars. My dad 3D printed a Cobra and a Ferrari body that go over the minimum block of wood. He took it to the race they have have by his house, those guys are serious. Dude that runs it is a retired aeronautical engineer.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ripped out about 1000 square feet of honeysuckle along my driveway. Chainsaws and beers. Pulled them all up to the top of a hill with a chain and burned them.

All that's left is a 16" tall pile of ash - but this fucker was ROARING.

20220423_202254.jpg

Then I mowed for the first time this year while the last of the fire burned down.

Got the mower stuck in the mud - had to tow it out with the quad.

20220423_202224.jpg

Also turfed the shit out of the lawn pulling honeysuckle to the pit. Fuck it.

20220423_202120.jpg

Now I'm enjoying a brewski on the deck as the sun sets on a very productive day.

20220423_202405.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
there's a couple web pages devoted to "ideal" PWD cars. My dad 3D printed a Cobra and a Ferrari body that go over the minimum block of wood. He took it to the race they have have by his house, those guys are serious. Dude that runs it is a retired aeronautical engineer.
My son took the silver medal today at the Pinewood Derby ?

a good day indeed!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My wife and son have been playing the Zelda game on the Switch. I don’t play many video games, and this fantasy shit is beyond me. But, my son has been wanting to make some of the weapons and shields in the game. So far that has been cutouts out of 2 or 3 layers of cardboard. But today we upgraded to a scrap of 3/8” plywood I had on hand. I guess this is some kind of sword/axe. But he showed me a pic online and we drew it out and got it done. We’ll paint and wrap the handle tomorrow. We have some sanding to do first, but you get the idea. I rounded all the edges with a router to help keep the splinters down for now.
B67385F7-4057-40B0-8A25-2D53D6EE4B6E.jpeg

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Took about 800 bucks worth of copper pipe to scrap yard yesterday. Refinished the lower handguard and stock on my Yugo Ak, and it looks like shit, and yet I don’t care.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Used a spray gun to turn our rocking chairs from white to whatever color this is that my wife picked out.

20220522_180039.jpg

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
My wife and son have been playing the Zelda game on the Switch. I don’t play many video games, and this fantasy shit is beyond me. But, my son has been wanting to make some of the weapons and shields in the game. So far that has been cutouts out of 2 or 3 layers of cardboard. But today we upgraded to a scrap of 3/8” plywood I had on hand. I guess this is some kind of sword/axe. But he showed me a pic online and we drew it out and got it done. We’ll paint and wrap the handle tomorrow. We have some sanding to do first, but you get the idea. I rounded all the edges with a router to help keep the splinters down for now.
View attachment 66778
could stand to be sharpened...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
could stand to be sharpened...
I thought about that, but being plywood I didn't think it would edge well. And, we've already had a couple of accidents so it may be best to keep it blunt! He's bonked himself with it a couple of times, and he smacked me in the hand while we were horsing around in the yard. My hand was swollen for days lol. I'll try to remember to take some more pics...but we spray painted the whole thing a dark metallic bronze color and then I did the blade tips in metallic silver to give the appearance of a sharpened blade. I need to get some paracord or leather or something to wrap the handle with still though. But we have also now finished a spear, and have a shield built but it still needs to be painted/decorated. It's been a fun little project with the son, he's so stoked about having all of these :)

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I thought about that, but being plywood I didn't think it would edge well. And, we've already had a couple of accidents so it may be best to keep it blunt! He's bonked himself with it a couple of times, and he smacked me in the hand while we were horsing around in the yard. My hand was swollen for days lol. I'll try to remember to take some more pics...but we spray painted the whole thing a dark metallic bronze color and then I did the blade tips in metallic silver to give the appearance of a sharpened blade. I need to get some paracord or leather or something to wrap the handle with still though. But we have also now finished a spear, and have a shield built but it still needs to be painted/decorated. It's been a fun little project with the son, he's so stoked about having all of these :)
reminded me of this old cartoon...

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
what mill is that? I've seen a couple different ones as part of off-grid builds.
Some low end made in china unit I bought awhile ago. Wasnt sure if I'd ever get around to it so I didnt buy anything high end. Will look into getting a granberg once I get the hang of it.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Some low end made in china unit I bought awhile ago. Wasnt sure if I'd ever get around to it so I didnt buy anything high end. Will look into getting a granberg once I get the hang of it.
TimberTuff is another brand, same design...pretty much all of the designs are Granberg knock-offs, except the Norwood. A friend who owned a sawmill in OR was big on TImberKing and Norwood for "portable mills", and I know Norwood makes a chainsaw version.

When I bottomed out on "looking into it", I decided that the best route would be a mini-mill instead of a chainsaw, mostly because I could get all of my money out of a sawmill by doing some piecework and selling it.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
TimberTuff is another brand, same design...pretty much all of the designs are Granberg knock-offs, except the Norwood. A friend who owned a sawmill in OR was big on TImberKing and Norwood for "portable mills", and I know Norwood makes a chainsaw version.

When I bottomed out on "looking into it", I decided that the best route would be a mini-mill instead of a chainsaw, mostly because I could get all of my money out of a sawmill by doing some piecework and selling it.
What I'd really like to get my hands on is a logosol bandsaw mill. B1001 Band Sawmill | Band Sawmills | Sawmills | LOGOSOL

The Alaskasn mill is great because you can set it up right on site. Peavey the log into position and you're off to the races. All the work is in setting up the first pass.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What I'd really like to get my hands on is a logosol bandsaw mill. B1001 Band Sawmill | Band Sawmills | Sawmills | LOGOSOL

The Alaskasn mill is great because you can set it up right on site. Peavey the log into position and you're off to the races. All the work is in setting up the first pass.
i get the appeal of wheeling in with a couple gas cans, a saw and a cant hook. Just setup and start clearing for a foundation. :)

why a logosol over a TimberKing or other mini-band mill?