What manly sh!t have you done today?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Changed a 30 amp fuse in a bus duct. The manly part is the bus duct is about 30 feet in the air, and the only way to reach it was by putting a step ladder inside a man basket and having a forklift lift me up as high as it would go.

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Changed a timing belt on the side of the road with a screw driver, vice grips, breaker bar, and a crescent wrench :|

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Changed a timing belt on the side of the road with a screw driver, vice grips, breaker bar, and a crescent wrench :|
Good job. I once had to change an alternator with a leatherman surge, my 73 year old dad, and a breaker bar that wouldn't seat into the adjustment pulley, so we had to pry it on under tension.
Changed a 30 amp fuse in a bus duct. The manly part is the bus duct is about 30 feet in the air, and the only way to reach it was by putting a step ladder inside a man basket and having a forklift lift me up as high as it would go.

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Just checked though. He said 30 feet. Those lifts only go to 25 feet working height, which is a 21 foot platform height + 6 feet. He'd still be sticking a ladder on it.

P

Punch

Just checked though. He said 30 feet. Those lifts only go to 25 feet working height, which is a 21 foot platform height + 6 feet. He'd still be sticking a ladder on it.
Yeah, that's what he said. Balls of solid rock that one. :D

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Plus I don't have a lift like that. But I do have a forklift, a man cage and a step ladder. The worst part is pulling the fuses out when you are extended like that. You have to exert enough force to get the fuse out but not so much that when it comes out the momentum sends you toppling off the ladder. It's exciting.

P

Punch

Plus I don't have a lift like that. But I do have a forklift, a man cage and a step ladder. The worst part is pulling the fuses out when you are extended like that. You have to exert enough force to get the fuse out but not so much that when it comes out the momentum sends you toppling off the ladder. It's exciting.
I'd have reeked of nervous ass sweat.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
We rent them at a day rate. They drop it off and pick it up from site. If we got caught putting the ladder on a man lift the fines (and jail time) vastly outweigh the cost of equipment rental. Alberta recently increased their penalties and deputized a shit ton of new OH&S officers.

Besides, if an employer isn't willing to provide me with the equipment to do the job safely and according to the laws that I'm liable to uphold, I'm not too concerned with their financial bottom line.

Your situation could be different and I don't fault you for your actions. For all I know, you could be a small business owner faced with skyrocketing overhead in material, or in a remote location where getting the lift there isn't feasable. You did the work yourself and didn't pressure an apprentice to do it instead. The lifts I showed didn't even reach high enough for your needs either.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
We rent them at a day rate. They drop it off and pick it up from site. If we got caught putting the ladder on a man lift the fines (and jail time) vastly outweigh the cost of equipment rental. Alberta recently increased their penalties and deputized a shit ton of new OH&S officers.

Besides, if an employer isn't willing to provide me with the equipment to do the job safely and according to the laws that I'm liable to uphold, I'm not too concerned with their financial bottom line.

Your situation could be different and I don't fault you for your actions. For all I know, you could be a small business owner faced with skyrocketing overhead in material, or in a remote location where getting the lift there isn't feasable. You did the work yourself and didn't pressure an apprentice to do it instead. The lifts I showed didn't even reach high enough for your needs either.
It was more of a time issue. The fuse blew because a table saw was overloaded and the job they were working on was a rush so I didn't have time to wait for a scissor lift. It took maybe 10 minutes. And my guys know to NEVER do it on their own. I told them if they do something that dumb they are fired - LOL - so they always come and get me when a fuse blows. I've had to do this quite a few times - stupid ass building design putting a bus duct 30 feet in the air.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
LOL. I do that while walking a ladder forward instead of getting down and moving it.

'Do not ever **creak creak creak** let me catch you **creak creak creak** walking a ladder while on it .... **creak**

If I go too far, I do a couple bunny hops backwards too! Always good for a laugh!

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Oh wait im full of shit i had a race with a modded toyota supra this motning fown near the marine base. Kept up with it, thought it was gonna be game over

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
I haven't answered the OP's question.

I'm laying around recovering from hernia surgery so not much.

Showed the wife how to use the lawnmower and supervised, smoked some herbal pain relief, and drank coffee.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Showed the wife how to use the lawnmower and supervised, smoked some herbal pain relief, and drank coffee.
Coffee? Did you get a hernia from wearing jeans that are too skinny?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

You still haven't answered OPs question. You just told him what you did today.