General What movie, album and book have you watched, listened to and read most often in your life?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It does take on a farcical quality.
Lars' dad is fucking hilarious.

"I tink you should delete it and start over."

"...we were gonna open the album with that..."
People think it's a documentary about a band working through clashing egos. It's actually a comedy about a band that used to be awesome and now sucks, but they're trying to not suck.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Movie: “Braveheart”
It’s a long-ass flick but it is an epic and has it all.

Album: “Sublime” by Sublime.
From 16 to 42 years old, I still listen to the songs from it regularly and I’ve never come close to getting sick of it.

Book: “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand.
I don’t often re-read books but I have read it three times and at over 1,100 pages, it is definitely the book I’ve spent the most time reading.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
People think it's a documentary about a band working through clashing egos. It's actually a comedy about a band that used to be awesome and now sucks, but they're trying to not suck.
If they'd made a record without vocals it would've been better.

The lyrics were a big drawback. They were sitting around brainstorming, and one of them writes "Your life style becomes your death style" and they all agree it's awesome.

For teenagers, yes. But I don't think they had anything much Metallica left in em.
Trujillo cleaned up on that deal. What a break. Too bad he couldn't be part of their great years.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If they'd made a record without vocals it would've been better.

The lyrics were a big drawback. They were sitting around brainstorming, and one of them writes "Your life style becomes your death style" and they all agree it's awesome.

For teenagers, yes. But I don't think they had anything much Metallica left in em.
Trujillo cleaned up on that deal. What a break. Too bad he couldn't be part of their great years.
Musically that album wasn't terrible. The lyrics however...

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Film. Aliens or Jaws.

Book. Red Dwarf for nostalgic reasons but Birdsong really.

Album. Paul Simon Graceland or True Companion by Marc Cohn

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes. It’s almost perfection. Quite different from the book though.

And it’s one of those rare occasions where the changes are better in the film.
My wife had never seen it before so a couple years ago I bought it on DVD and we watched it. She was on the edge of her seat with suspense and didn't even realize that you don't see the shark for the first hour. The storytelling is really outstanding.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
My wife had never seen it before so a couple years ago I bought it on DVD and we watched it. She was on the edge of her seat with suspense and didn't even realize that you don't see the shark for the first hour. The storytelling is really outstanding.
That was the beauty of it. In a way it’s too good because it terrifies people of the sea. My sister won’t go in the sea because of it. It’s also responsible for the genocide of sharks across the globe. Well that and China’s insatiable appetite for shark fin soup. And people’s belief that sharks are evil. Luckily new generations think different.

Jaws 2 is also a classic. Not the same level but still very good.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

IIRC, the book has a major subplot involving the Mafia, right?

And Hooper is VERY rapey? It's been a long time, I read it when I was a teenager.

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
movie: Blues Brothers, possibly For A Few Dollars More
book: Green Eggs & Ham
album: Wildflowers - Tom Petty or Train A Comin' - Steve Earle...although I did drive from PHX to IA with just a Chris Leduex cassette and Charlie Daniels Superhits. So those two albums are probably up there. I can definitely still sing every song

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021

I love the scene with the chief and his son at the table. His father is lost in thought thinking about something important, and he imitates his father's physical behavior.
Very Spielbergian humanity moment.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
IIRC, the book has a major subplot involving the Mafia, right?

And Hooper is VERY rapey? It's been a long time, I read it when I was a teenager.

??

Yeah Hooper is the 70's teacher who intercourses his students and he enters Ellen too. They have quite the affair and the big twist is its he that dies the bloody death not Quint.

I don't remember the mafia but it's also been a long, long time since I read the book.

Maybe your thinking of The Godfather?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Yeah Hooper is the 70's teacher who intercourses his students and he enters Ellen too. They have quite the affair and the big twist is its he that dies the bloody death not Quint.

I don't remember the mafia but it's also been a long, long time since I read the book.

Maybe your thinking of The Godfather?
Nah, I remember that Hooper basically tried to rape someone in a restaurant? And that there was some subplot involving the mob blackmailing /extorting the mayor?

??