General What movie, album and book have you watched, listened to and read most often in your life?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
For instance with the black album, I don't see any way that anyone can deny that Enter Sandman has one of the greatest intros of any rock single, ever. It's one of those riffs that sounds like it was always there, it was just waiting for someone to come along and find it.

??

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. They shared the top of the game in their genre. And like all bands, I think they wanted to grow musically. Who wants to play the same songs and solos for decades?

I just think they didn't have anywhere to go. Speed metal was their thing.
And mine, but it's had its day.
Nu metal is meaningless to me.
When Ride the Lightning came out, Hetfield and Ulrich were 21.

Master of Puppets, they were 23.

Black album? They were 28.

Were you into exactly the same music, movies, style in your late 20s, as you were in your early 20s? Probably not - most of us changed a lot over that time. So did they. ?

And yeah, totally agree - they were working in a very narrow genre that they basically became the kings of....... but staying rigidly within the bounds of one specific genre which was entering its death spiral........ yeah, I don't blame them for producing something a little more commercial friendly. Speed/thrash metal is a young man's genre.

??

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Justice had moments.

Then the haircuts and piercings and emo hit them.
They stopped, they quit, they were Metallica
At this point there wasn’t many old-school metal bands who hadn’t changed.

And then came along Pantera with one of the greatest metal albums of all time, the Great Southern Trend Kill. It was like a nail in the coffin for all those old dinosaurs.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
When Ride the Lightning came out, Hetfield and Ulrich were 21.

Master of Puppets, they were 23.

Black album? They were 28.

Were you into exactly the same music, movies, style in your late 20s, as you were in your early 20s? Probably not - most of us changed a lot over that time. So did they. ?

And yeah, totally agree - they were working in a very narrow genre that they basically became the kings of....... but staying rigidly within the bounds of one specific genre which was entering its death spiral........ yeah, I don't blame them for producing something a little more commercial friendly. Speed/thrash metal is a young man's genre.

??
My problem wasn't that they wanted to do something a little different, I just didn't like the product.
And it seemed as calculated as netflix seems by jamming gay characters into everything.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
At this point there wasn’t many old-school metal bands who hadn’t changed.

And then came along Pantera with one of the greatest metal albums of all time, the Great Southern Trend Kill. It was like a nail in the coffin for all those old dinosaurs.
I always thought that Vulgar Display of Power and (especially) Reinventing the Steel were two of the ATG metal album names.

Cemetery Gates is right up there with my favourite metal songs, too. Particularly one random live version that I have.

??

T

The Big Guy

My name is earl (TV)

half baked (movie)

Mein Kampf (book from obscure author)

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I always thought that Vulgar Display of Power and (especially) Reinventing the Steel were two of the ATG metal album names.

Cemetery Gates is right up there with my favourite metal songs, too. Particularly one random live version that I have.

??
Funny thing is that for as much as I love the genre(and it may have been influenced by being in several metal bands), a lead singer can kill the whole deal for me. I don't like Pantera as much as I could because of it.
Vocalists can be miscast.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Funny thing is that for as much as I love the genre(and it may have been influenced by being in several metal bands), a lead singer can kill the whole deal for me. I don't like Pantera as much as I could because of it.
Vocalists can be miscast.
Yeah I get that. For example, not metal, but a lot of people hate the Pumpkins just because of Billy Corgan's nasal voice. I fucking love it and think it fits his songs perfectly and enhances them. Others, it drives them away from the songs.

??

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Metallica much more charismatic, though.

??
Marketable, all of it.
And while Dave and company were still working on their tonal choices, Metallica had the best wall of guitars sound of the era. Turn it the fuck up.

I found Garage Days re revisited to be awesome stuff.
"Not very produced by Metallica", but it's great by me

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Yeah I get that. For example, not metal, but a lot of people hate the Pumpkins just because of Billy Corgan's nasal voice. I fucking love it and think it fits his songs perfectly and enhances them. Others, it drives them away from the songs.

??
I knew guys who hated Jello Biafra's voice, and it's half of what got me into DK's

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

??
Billy Corgan has the most annoying voice in the history of rock. I get physically ill when I hear it. I'm getting mad just typing this.