Sci/Tech What near-future technological advancements need to hurry up and happen?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think you're over simplifying my post...Or I accidentally oversimplified by mentioning all the various pieces where password and privacy and security intersect.

Password...Replace with my phone or other token and an authenticator pin process tomorrow. No state needed.

Google account info, or anything other service, etc. Move to encrypted credentials that only allow the yes or no. Drop password as above and stop handing entire profiles over. Instead only answer yes or no. Stop storing my info on a myriad of internet servers. Store that info on my phone or other token device. No state. No central holding of my data needed more than now. In fact would only need to pass that info as needed.

Replace my current state ID or passport with encrypted data that only responds "yes citizen" or "yes > 18" for the various needs. Provide address when I need to provide address. Provide only phone when I need to give phone.
None of that is different than now. It simply means I don't have a human readable card to lose and I stop providing excessive information everywhere in my real life. This is just tangential to my comments about the over sharing above in my virtual life. Though, this ID naturally could allow me to move to online voting? Registering vehicle? I dunno. All kinds of stuff I hand an insecure picture ID for right now.
Ok, but how is your phone authenticated as belonging to you? If you use a pin that is locally stored and not calling to a server somewhere, you kill the device resale market and introduce obsolescence into all such devices. If your device is using this master authenticator pin to access all your other services, the device needs to be uniquely yours.

Also, in order for these services to authenticate you, there needs to be some exchange of data and they need verifying information or their services wouldn't be very secure. In fact they'd be much more vulnerable to exploits lacking any server side authentication process. The binary yes/no question is pretty much how authentication already works except the question it's asking is yes/PW rather than yes to a bunch of other questions.

The more low tech ID card is actually much safer in general. I do agree though that making state IDs machine readable makes them less secure. I would say any system that requires establishment or verification of identity is always going to be a require a database somewhere, even if only at the point of activation. Realistically for what you're describing, the state still ends up either being the centralized authenticator or the activator.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ok, but how is your phone authenticated as belonging to you? If you use a pin that is locally stored and not calling to a server somewhere, you kill the device resale market and introduce obsolescence into all such devices. If your device is using this master authenticator pin to access all your other services, the device needs to be uniquely yours.

Also, in order for these services to authenticate you, there needs to be some exchange of data and they need verifying information or their services wouldn't be very secure. In fact they'd be much more vulnerable to exploits lacking any server side authentication process. The binary yes/no question is pretty much how authentication already works except the question it's asking is yes/PW rather than yes to a bunch of other questions.

The more low tech ID card is actually much safer in general. I do agree though that making state IDs machine readable makes them less secure. I would say any system that requires establishment or verification of identity is always going to be a require a database somewhere, even if only at the point of activation. Realistically for what you're describing, the state still ends up either being the centralized authenticator or the activator.

I never meant to suggest that there is no transfer of information to an authenticating server.
I was only answering your question about the state playing as a centralized credentialing Authority.

Back all the way up.

I want passwords gone. The simple Text based password is a security mess for a number of reasons.

One way to do that is smart cards and pins. We already do that in the military another corporate environments.

A more elegant solution could be to use some combination of existing Technologies instead of just a smart card and continue with a pin. I invision a more consumer-oriented Hardware piece but the same idea.

That's all I was truly suggesting.

That would be more secure then the current password process if the technologies chosen were implemented in any number of existing ways.

I have more to say about how this similar solution could have me carry information encrypted and queried to only give limited Boolean responses but let's not go there yet. It seems to have muddled things.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

I never meant to suggest that there is no transfer of information to an authenticating server.
I was only answering your question about the state playing as a centralized credentialing Authority.

Back all the way up.

I want passwords gone. The simple Text based password is a security mess for a number of reasons.

One way to do that is smart cards and pins. We already do that in the military another corporate environments.

A more elegant solution could be to use some combination of existing Technologies instead of just a smart card and continue with a pin. I invision a more consumer-oriented Hardware piece but the same idea.

That's all I was truly suggesting.

That would be more secure then the current password process if the technologies chosen were implemented in any number of existing ways.

I have more to say about how this similar solution could have me carry information encrypted and queried to only give limited Boolean responses but let's not go there yet. It seems to have muddled things.
Ok, but isn't the smart hardware basically the same as an ID card, which is essentially just a floppy piece of hardware?

Aren't the boolean responses basically just another form of a password?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
the 111 degree days in Los Angeles are pretty alarming ,the hottest days here used to be 100.
Same for atascadero. SLO and ventura always 20 degrees cooler than that. 100 was hot for atascadero or fort Hunter Liggett up the road. It's hit 111 in LA?

England is roasting too. Supposed to be 86 here tomorrow. I know that's laughable but they predicted it may get to almost 100 in parts of the country. Hottest on record. I think the prince is returning to the volcano or something and turned the world up a bit

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Why the fuck do I still need to crumble up the crinkly plastic bag to keep my cereal fresh? How long have we had zip lock bags?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Same for atascadero. SLO and ventura always 20 degrees cooler than that. 100 was hot for atascadero or fort Hunter Liggett up the road. It's hit 111 in LA?

England is roasting too. Supposed to be 86 here tomorrow. I know that's laughable but they predicted it may get to almost 100 in parts of the country. Hottest on record. I think the prince is returning to the volcano or something and turned the world up a bit
it actually hit 114 in some parts of L.A county, even places near the ocean were 109 degrees . hottest I ever saw in L.A was 108 in 2010.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
it actually hit 114 in some parts of L.A county, even places near the ocean were 109 degrees . hottest I ever saw was 108 in 2010.
Dang. One of the reasons I moved to atascadero was I like the heat. It could be 78 in SLO and 85 20 mins up the 101 there. Plus price. But that went out the window anyway.

Ventura (2 hours south) always seemed to peak in the 80s. 90s and people moaned. I don't think I ever saw it hit 100 there.

silentsinger @silentsinger the German mong wants to go sunbathe in 120 at Palm springs. (I've never seen it that hot there, maybe 105 110)

It's the apocalypse

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I heard it was 75 in Edinburgh today.

That doesn't sound like much but by morning I expect all them northerners to be dead. Scotland is renowned for being cold

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Dang. One of the reasons I moved to atascadero was I like the heat. It could be 78 in SLO and 85 20 mins up the 101 there. Plus price. But that went out the window anyway.

Ventura (2 hours south) always seemed to peak in the 80s. 90s and people moaned. I don't think I ever saw it hit 100 there.

silentsinger @silentsinger the German mong wants to go sunbathe in 120 at Palm springs. (I've never seen it that hot there, maybe 105 110)

It's the apocalypse
The weather man wasn't even going mental about it. Fuck yeah I want to sunbathe in that...for probably 30 seconds.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The weather man wasn't even going mental about it. Fuck yeah I want to sunbathe in that...for probably 30 seconds.
Look. If your dumbass is gonna go sunbathe call me first. If you fall asleep in that heat, when u wake up it will be very bad. I've been downed by that heat about 3 times and sent people home before. Heat can and will kill you.

Not messing

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Look. If your dumbass is gonna go sunbathe call me first. If you fall asleep in that heat, when u wake up it will be very bad. I've been downed by that heat about 3 times and sent people home before. Heat can and will kill you.

Not messing
Careful, matey boy. People might catch you being serious for once.

I'd like to experience it, just not for long. It was 99 when I got in my car the other day, that was enough.