Sci/Tech What near-future technological advancements need to hurry up and happen?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Yeah. I watched a show detailing how advanced this tech was becoming.

Fucking terrifying in all forms. 2 legged, 4 legged, tracked, airborne than self lands on carriers....fucked up shit.
I thought the self autonomous drones were spectacular, yet terrifying.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Why is replacing humans tasks a good thing? Do you really think the bank will let you pay your mortgage with "A robot took my job"?

p.s. the iPod was not in any way shape or form a game changer. It was an inferior technology the day it was made.
ah yes, the "buggy whip" argument..classic.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
you mean the Zero Sum fallacy of people who say that robots performing human tasks is going to have a negative economic and/or social impact?
Of people who pretend that the coming automation is identical to previous technological advances. It typically involves invoking grossly incorrect examples (ie, buggy whip) to prove a point that doesn't actually exist.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Google, you're welcome.

CNBC: Google wants to replace your password routine with a tiny device that plugs into your computer.
Google wants to replace your password routine with a tiny device that plugs into your computer

Getting there!

Google helps make the password obsolete w/ FIDO2 support on Android, rolling out now

Google helps make the password obsolete w/ FIDO2 support on Android, rolling out now Ben Schoon - Feb. 25th 2019 6:41 am PT @NexusBen
fingerprint sensor android fido2
Comments
Passwords are usually the main way to keep your online accounts safe, but unless you’re using a complex password that’s hard to remember, your account is probably not as secure as you’re hoping. Luckily, there’s a better way. The FIDO Alliance has been developing the FIDO2 standard for years now, and this week Android has been certified for the protocol. Here’s what that means for you.

Announced today, an update to Google Play Services is rolling out now which adds FIDO2 certification to roughly half of all Android devices available today. The update lets you log in to support apps and services with the fingerprint or PIN on your device rather than requiring a password.

FIDO2 is designed to keep the authentication of your accounts stored locally on the device. As Google’s Christiaan Brand explains (via The Verge), this takes away the “shared secret”. Rather than both you and the service authenticating the account with the password you both know, FIDO2 lets Android users prove they are the authenticated user without the service knowing the “secret.” In this case, the all-too-common security breach won’t expose any of your data.
kneeblock @Kneeblock

anon_7832587268

Sep 2, 2015
I would like a drug with zero side effects and no diminishing marginal returns that feels like a good 4 pack of Percocets.

Everyday feels like the first time

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Great thread! here are my suggestions that have been on my mind:
(not sure if all of them are near-future)

Strong, unharmful PEDs with no side effects distributed officially to all UFC fighters to help injury and training recovery

A 'playlist'-function on FightPass where, say, your favourite fighters or coaches (or Snoop Dogg, *puke) put together playlists of their favourite fights or topic related (I cancelled FightPass, so if that is by now in place, good for them)

A strong alcoholic beverage that reacts with your stomach acids to produce a charming peppermint smell and flavour when you have to vomit it out

H2O tablets - "just add Oxygen"

Battery-models with the capacity to be able to absorb and store lightning

A measuring device to "see Dark Matter space" or whatever that is

A machine that understands what women mean when they speak (just kidding)

Gloryhole-Avent Calendar

Asteroid collision detection and aversion protocol

And finally, a fridge that sounds an alarm bell if the door has not been properly closed (I've been told that this has in fact been achieved, but I've never seen one in a store, hotel or anywhere else. I'm sure they have them in Dubai)

--> Actually, I have one more: a goddamn well working refcam
(what happened, there?)

--> And, for the sake of Joe Rogan (because I kinda copied the asteroid stuff and the FP-Playlist from the podcast) "Somebody needs to come up with a new type of glove....."

T

The Big Guy

Leather bed sheets

Cars that call you a fat fuck if you go to a fast food restaraunt

Drones that hunt and kill squirrels. Fucking tree rats

Program that offers people 10k to get sterilized. Every unemployed democrat would get fixed right away. Because honestly if you need 10k that bad you dont need kids. Smart people would invest that money and the poor slobs could buy rims and iphones. Everyones happy

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Figure out solar and wind energy production in respect to costs and impact.

Also I would like to see people start building underground instead of up.

Maybe start building sustainable living places underwater too.

Nov 21, 2015
Fucking age reversal. Telomere Biology and uploading our brains to computers.

Dr. Bill Andrews just started human trial and Telomere age reversal
last month and Ray Kurzeil says we are 5 years out from uploading the
1st human brain

They need to hurry the fuck up.

Lets have it!

Nov 21, 2015
Figure out solar and wind energy production in respect to costs and impact.

Also I would like to see people start building underground instead of up.

Maybe start building sustainable living places underwater too.
Most of that tech needed for that is here

Its the cost and the damn crooked as politicians and corporations in the way

I'm certainly with ya

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Fucking age reversal. Telomere Biology and uploading our brains to computers.

Dr. Bill Andrews just started human trial and Telomere age reversal
last month and Ray Kurzeil says we are 5 years out from uploading the
1st human brain

They need to hurry the fuck up.

Lets have it!
Age reversal would be available to the rich first. I can’t imagine the atrocities that would happen to ensure that the unimaginably rich could live forever while keeping the rest of the world under their power.

Even if age reversal became available to the entire populous at a reasonable cost, without some kind of population control,the fighting for resources across the planet would descend mankind into madness.

Last edited:

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Leather bed sheets

Cars that call you a fat fuck if you go to a fast food restaraunt

Drones that hunt and kill squirrels. Fucking tree rats

Program that offers people 10k to get sterilized. Every unemployed democrat would get fixed right away. Because honestly if you need 10k that bad you dont need kids. Smart people would invest that money and the poor slobs could buy rims and iphones. Everyones happy
I have a couple Diana/RWS pellet guns that expire tree rats with extreme prejudice.

Nov 21, 2015
Great thread! here are my suggestions that have been on my mind:
(not sure if all of them are near-future)

Strong, unharmful PEDs with no side effects distributed officially to all UFC fighters to help injury and training recovery

A 'playlist'-function on FightPass where, say, your favourite fighters or coaches (or Snoop Dogg, *puke) put together playlists of their favourite fights or topic related (I cancelled FightPass, so if that is by now in place, good for them)

A strong alcoholic beverage that reacts with your stomach acids to produce a charming peppermint smell and flavour when you have to vomit it out

H2O tablets - "just add Oxygen"

Battery-models with the capacity to be able to absorb and store lightning

A measuring device to "see Dark Matter space" or whatever that is

A machine that understands what women mean when they speak (just kidding)

Gloryhole-Avent Calendar

Asteroid collision detection and aversion protocol

And finally, a fridge that sounds an alarm bell if the door has not been properly closed (I've been told that this has in fact been achieved, but I've never seen one in a store, hotel or anywhere else. I'm sure they have them in Dubai)

--> Actually, I have one more: a goddamn well working refcam
(what happened, there?)

--> And, for the sake of Joe Rogan (because I kinda copied the asteroid stuff and the FP-Playlist from the podcast) "Somebody needs to come up with a new type of glove....."
Age reversal would be available to the rich first. I can’t imagine the atrocities that would happen to ensure that the unimaginably rich could live forever while keeping the rest of the world under their power.

Even if age reversal became available to the entire populous at a reasonable cost, without some kind of population control,the fighting for resources across the planet would descend mankind into madness.
The process is currently about 2 Million and human trials started in January
Libella Gene Therapeutics | Curing All Age-Related Diseases

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqb1D8Bwkc4

Its not really a rich thing per se... as everything is always available to people
with money first. Its just economics. Most of the the great minds at the leading
edge of these fields arent rich themselves.

Save for Ray Kurzeil of course.

The others like Dr. Andrews, Dr. Aubrey Debray, Lizz Parrish etc aren't
exactly rich

GDF11 and other gene therapies you can get done
for only 25 Grand

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
The process is currently about 2 Million and human trials started in January
Libella Gene Therapeutics | Curing All Age-Related Diseases

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqb1D8Bwkc4

Its not really a rich thing per se... as everything is always available to people
with money first. Its just economics. Most of the the great minds at the leading
edge of these fields arent rich themselves.

Save for Ray Kurzeil of course.

The others like Dr. Andrews, Dr. Aubrey Debray, Lizz Parrish etc aren't
exactly rich

GDF11 and other gene therapies you can get done
for only 25 Grand
How many people in the world can afford 25k? What will happen to the less fortunate when the wealthy are immortal?

Nov 21, 2015
How many people in the world can afford 25k? What will happen to the less fortunate when the wealthy are immortal?
25K? Not a lot of money. Certainly none that I would consider rich

Its a relative term though. 2 Million is not a lot of money in my mind either though

As for the poor... like anything else that is above one's financial capability
I'd assume they'd simply have to go without treatments

Much like the Elysium movie.

Side note - I finally watched that movie and it
was disappointing. Lol

Immortal may actually be a curse. Like Isaac Arthur said...

Imagine being a 200 Billion year old creature roaming around
as the last stars in the Cosmos go out and being unable to finally
die yourself