General What subjects are the biggest waste of kid's time in school, and what subjects should be taught but aren't?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Foreign languages. What a load of shit. I did French for five years and thankfully can only string about two words of the ghastly tripe together.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
As for stuff that should be taught,

Electronics, I did electronics at school but it was a very poor program and I diddnt take a lot from it. Someone I used to work with is now a teacher at a tech school devised to teach real world electronics and troubleshooting skills to kids. I know the guy and imagine his courses would be brilliant.

A lot of our new hires and apprentices just went through the motions in a classroom for a couple years yet it can take them a while to learn how to apply the knowledge in a practical manner.

Likewise I think mechanics. I diddnt grow up fixing cars or working on engines. My first mechanical experience was a basic introduction to aircraft mechanics and I diddnt know wtf half of it was talking about. It was a sharp learning curve for me, maybe if I hadn't been learning stupid shit about Jesus, or how to work out the angle of a triangle (who gives a fuck what angle it is? And who does that for a living) I could have been learning about how engines etc work.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
they should go into detail about building,maintaining and developing good credit but I suspect this would not be good for the banking industry if everyone was informed.

bitcoinikov

Jun 12, 2021
Financial literacy should be included in schools, and replace English (or your local language).

Schools are teaching us to be an employee and a slave for capitalists.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Likewise I think mechanics. I diddnt grow up fixing cars or working on engines. My first mechanical experience was a basic introduction to aircraft mechanics and I diddnt know wtf half of it was talking about. It was a sharp learning curve for me, maybe if I hadn't been learning stupid shit about Jesus, or how to work out the angle of a triangle (who gives a fuck what angle it is? And who does that for a living) I could have been learning about how engines etc work.
I think mechanics would have been a good idea in the past, not so much now. A couple of years of classes, and our fathers could do a hell of a lot with their cars plus a half-dozen basic hand tools. But how far do you reckon that same level of knowledge gets you when you're opening up the hood of a 2026 EV?

Totally agreed that no kids should be learning about Jesus in taxpayer-funded schools, though.

??