General What subjects are the biggest waste of kid's time in school, and what subjects should be taught but aren't?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, you're going to be spending hours /weeks/months in a classroom setting regardless. May as well learn actual useful life skills while you're there. And you keep talking like it's one teacher who is responsible for teaching everything in the same classroom. Did you not have the maths block and the science block and the history block, and the bell rings and you all individually make your way to the next class?

??
what are you getting rid of? What's the minimum time to learn to cook?

YouTube, is a thing?

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
my kids get thrown in with clothes and shoes on when they're 3.

the smart, strong ones figure it out.
Yeah that was more or less the same with me. That's how it was done in Australia in the '80s. :smile: But like any other Aussies here, I can't remember not knowing how to swim. It's like a Canadian not knowing how to ice skate.

??

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
what are you getting rid of? What's the minimum time to learn to cook?

YouTube, is a thing?
Well, different schools have different curriculums and different ages to drop stuff. The point of the thread isn't for me to dictate the new curriculum, it's to ask others what THEY think should be emphasised or de-emphasised. I just asked the question, I'm not the central authority.

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, different schools have different curriculums and different ages to drop stuff. The point of the thread isn't for me to dictate the new curriculum, it's to ask others what THEY think should be emphasised or de-emphasised. I just asked the question, I'm not the central authority.

??
i get it, but I think of "cooking" (beyond 'food safety and healthy choices') is more like music classes or sports...by the time you hit middle school it's an extra-curricular.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Personal finance and how to manage money. The class should talk about the dangers of credit cards, debt, as well as helping kids understand how to manage money. It blows me away that this was not taught to me in school.
I look back at my college days and they would just put a bunch of hot chicks on campus the first day offering credit cards and you get a free t shirt for signing up.

just educating kids on the scams and tricks that are out there regarding finance would be great

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
A critical thinking class, and how to spot fake news online, should be taught in school.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Gender equality and social justice should be the cornerstones of all school curriculums

e0gjmul1xo371.jpg

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Seriously, personal finance and taxation not being mandatory courses just blows my mind.
How many kids know how to file a tax return, upon completion of high-school?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Or how about we teach taxation in school? It's beyond ridiculous that it isn't.
I see what you're getting at. I think some responsibility for teaching our children lies on us. I'm already teaching my son about taxation. I say "LittleOneDude what is taxation?" and he responds "THEFT!".

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’ll do your taxes
I get an accountant, but coming out of school who the fuck knows anything about rrsp contributions, gst/hst returns, personal returns, dividends, bonuses, capital gains coupled with all the loop holes and right offs.

Unless you have swell parents that hold your hand through life, you are set for failure right out of the gates.

M

member 1013

I get an accountant, but coming out of school who the fuck knows anything about rrsp contributions, gst/hst returns, personal returns, dividends, bonuses, capital gains coupled with all the loop holes and right offs.

Unless you have swell parents that hold your hand through life, you are set for failure right out of the gates.
I’m better than the accountant bub

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’m better than the accountant bub
??? ?????????? ?? ???? ?????? ???????? ?? ? ??????? ???.

??? ???? ??? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ???????? ?????. ?????? ?????? ??? ???????? ?? ???? ???????? ???????????. ?? ???? ???? ?? ????????.

???? ???????.

?????????? ?? ??????

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
??? ?????????? ?? ???? ?????? ???????? ?? ? ??????? ???.

??? ???? ??? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ???????? ?????. ?????? ?????? ??? ???????? ?? ???? ???????? ???????????. ?? ???? ???? ?? ????????.

???? ???????.

?????????? ?? ??????
Just learn to hide your money so you look broke and uninteresting to the tax police.