What the Hell's Going On Here? Roman Reigns Edition.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Okay, so we're all aware that last night Roman Reigns won the WWE Heavyweight Championship to a chorus of boos and much to the chagrin of anyone who owns a computer that has access to the internet. I got to thinking, how the hell did this happen? Well, I'm going to try to take us down the path that lead us from a 2012 debut until last night's underwhelming victory over HHH.

October 31, 2012: debuted under the ring name Roman Reigns defeating some guy you've probably never heard of.

Novermber 18, 2012: 18 days after his new name debut in NXT he made his main roster debut. (Jesus fuck, this seem absurd to anyone else? He literally had one match before being moved up to the main roster.)

2012-2014: He and the Shield repeatedly beatdown a bunch of faces for about a year, before turning face themselves and feuding with the Authority. At the Royal Rumble he was a finalist against Batista who was making his return to WWE although he got tossed and Batista went onto the Mania title match. The Shield was very over although none of them could cut a promo. I personally never found the group appealing, but I'm guessing because they often feuded with people the crowd didn't like (Ryback, Cena, Kane, and Batista at the Rumble) they were over by default.

2014: Shield dissolves, Reigns becomes a singles competitor. Won a battle royal to get into MITB, competed for the title in a fatal 4 way, wins a feud with Orton. Gets injured and is given a Slammy for Superstar of the Year.

2015: Wins the Royal Rumble to a chorus of boos beating every single fan favorite. Went to Mania and he lost to Rollins in the title match after a Money in the Bank cash in. At 2015 Money in the Bank he was about to win and Bray Wyatt fucked him over. He then went over on the at the time only good heel on the roster, Bray Wyatt. Because fuck Bray, right?

Reigns ended up with a title shot at TLC, which he won. Then Sheamus beat him 5:15 later with his MITB case. For some reason the title was then given back to him when he beat Sheamus. I'm guessing they assumed if they put him in another match against someone the crowd hates it'd put him over, didn't work.

This of course led to the Royal Rumble, another Reigns victory and in a round about way, to last night.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd simply say that the fans don't like Reigns because there's been no attempt to see if they liked him to begin with. It was simply full steam ahead whether the fans wanted it or not. The longer it goes on, the worse it seems to get for Roman. The smart play would be to turn him heel and eventually work him back to get the fans invested in his career arc, but the guy we've got right now has been in the main event scene for essentially his whole career although he's really only been able to work a good match for the past 6-8 months and still can't cut a promo to save his life. That in my opinion is What the hell's going on here.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Okay, so we're all aware that last night Roman Reigns won the WWE Heavyweight Championship to a chorus of boos and much to the chagrin of anyone who owns a computer that has access to the internet. I got to thinking, how the hell did this happen? Well, I'm going to try to take us down the path that lead us from a 2012 debut until last night's underwhelming victory over HHH.

October 31, 2012: debuted under the ring name Roman Reigns defeating some guy you've probably never heard of.

Novermber 18, 2012: 18 days after his new name debut in NXT he made his main roster debut. (Jesus fuck, this seem absurd to anyone else? He literally had one match before being moved up to the main roster.)

2012-2014: He and the Shield repeatedly beatdown a bunch of faces for about a year, before turning face themselves and feuding with the Authority. At the Royal Rumble he was a finalist against Batista who was making his return to WWE although he got tossed and Batista went onto the Mania title match. The Shield was very over although none of them could cut a promo. I personally never found the group appealing, but I'm guessing because they often feuded with people the crowd didn't like (Ryback, Cena, Kane, and Batista at the Rumble) they were over by default.

2014: Shield dissolves, Reigns becomes a singles competitor. Won a battle royal to get into MITB, competed for the title in a fatal 4 way, wins a feud with Orton. Gets injured and is given a Slammy for Superstar of the Year.

2015: Wins the Royal Rumble to a chorus of boos beating every single fan favorite. Went to Mania and he lost to Rollins in the title match after a Money in the Bank cash in. At 2015 Money in the Bank he was about to win and Bray Wyatt fucked him over. He then went over on the at the time only good heel on the roster, Bray Wyatt. Because fuck Bray, right?

Reigns ended up with a title shot at TLC, which he won. Then Sheamus beat him 5:15 later with his MITB case. For some reason the title was then given back to him when he beat Sheamus. I'm guessing they assumed if they put him in another match against someone the crowd hates it'd put him over, didn't work.

This of course led to the Royal Rumble, another Reigns victory and in a round about way, to last night.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd simply say that the fans don't like Reigns because there's been no attempt to see if they liked him to begin with. It was simply full steam ahead whether the fans wanted it or not. The longer it goes on, the worse it seems to get for Roman. The smart play would be to turn him heel and eventually work him back to get the fans invested in his career arc, but the guy we've got right now has been in the main event scene for essentially his whole career although he's really only been able to work a good match for the past 6-8 months and still can't cut a promo to save his life. That in my opinion is What the hell's going on here.

but joking aside, I did read it. I knew Reigns was gonna be given the next Royal Rumble back when they let Batista have it (so he would agree to return) Seth Rollins looks a bit more convincing than the other guy from the shield, but is he a lot more entertaining than Reigns currently? I was surprised to see him with the title honestly.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

but joking aside, I did read it. I knew Reigns was gonna be given the next Royal Rumble back when they let Batista have it (so he would agree to return) Seth Rollins looks a bit more convincing than the other guy from the shield, but is he a lot more entertaining than Reigns currently? I was surprised to see him with the title honestly.
Being a heel with a mouthpiece is easier than being a face. You also need to get a feel for what the crowd thinks of someone before you decide what they are, and roll with that. In the case of Reigns they decided for the fans. The fans didn't like it, and the response was a bigger push. In many cases at the expense of fan favorites.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Tall- check
Good looking - check
Muscular- check
Physical -check
Cocky - check
4 moves of doom - check

He just ticks all of Vince's boxes that's literally it. Kevin Nash, Sid Justice, Taker, HHH, The Rock, Randy Orton etc

Now we do the same thing with Daniel Bryan

Tall - nope
Good looking- nope not with that beard
Muscular- nope not so much
Physical- check
Cocky-nope
4 moves of doom- nope he can actually work

It's hard to understand it and it really is the fans that can get guys like DBry over but sadly they cannot derail someone as easily who Vince loves, that's why we've had SuperCena for over a decade on top( yeah he ticks all those boxes of Vince's)

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
Tall- check
Good looking - check
Muscular- check
Physical -check
Cocky - check
4 moves of doom - check

He just ticks all of Vince's boxes that's literally it. Kevin Nash, Sid Justice, Taker, HHH, The Rock, Randy Orton etc

Now we do the same thing with Daniel Bryan

Tall - nope
Good looking- nope not with that beard
Muscular- nope not so much
Physical- check
Cocky-nope
4 moves of doom- nope he can actually work

It's hard to understand it and it really is the fans that can get guys like DBry over but sadly they cannot derail someone as easily who Vince loves, that's why we've had SuperCena for over a decade on top( yeah he ticks all those boxes of Vince's)
that whole yes yes yes gimmick is truly awful .... and the fans love it.

my sister watches wwe every week with her kids and she loves Daniel Bryan and joins in with his chant.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
that whole yes yes yes gimmick is truly awful .... and the fans love it.

my sister watches wwe every week with her kids and she loves Daniel Bryan and joins in with his chant.
admittedly it did put a big strain on their creative department

although once they finally got the first yes down on paper, the rest came together pretty quickly