Sci/Tech What was the last big medical breakthrough?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A friend of mine lost his daughter to cancer a couple weeks ago. It got me to thinking, when's the last time we had a big medical breakthrough? I can't really think of anything that happened in my lifetime.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A friend of mine lost his daughter to cancer a couple weeks ago. It got me to thinking, when's the last time we had a big medical breakthrough? I can't really think of anything that happened in my lifetime.
manuka honey is pretty amazing
battling stubborn MRSA infections and shit

probably not "big" enough but certainly noteworthy and interesting

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
HIV went from an unstoppable global pandemic to being more or less contained via drugs like PrEP and other retrovirals, which are still slowly diffusing and being taken up. Also the development of gardasil to prevent contraction of HPV and thus cervical cancer marks an incredible risk reduction that you can see generationally.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
HIV went from an unstoppable global pandemic to bring more or less contained via drugs like PrEP and other retrovirals, which are still slowly diffusing and being taken up. Also the development of gardasil to prevent contraction of HPV and thus cervical cancer marks an incredible risk reduction that you can see generationally.

Hep C cures in 12 week pills vs a drug infusion that didn't always work and was often described as worse than the disease.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also we are always looking for the thing that has a sexy headline but there are all the day-to-day things happening.
There are amazing diabetes drugs that are available now that weren't available just 10 years ago.
We're figuring out the part of fish oil that seems to make people die less (rather than whole fish oil itself that probably doesn't help it might hurt you) And as we get that dialed in we're seeing the next big jump in mortality benefit for heart disease. We haven't seen this since statins.
Speaking of statins and cholesterol we have injectable meds coming that are just hitting the market and this is going to potentially be a game changer.

These are huge moves with huge implications where we had very rudimentary drugs not targeting the disease but targeting downstream effects in the past.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Also we are always looking for the thing that has a sexy headline but there are all the day-to-day things happening.
There are amazing diabetes drugs that are available now that weren't available just 10 years ago.
We're figuring out the part of fish oil that seems to make people die less (rather than whole fish oil itself that probably doesn't help it might hurt you) And as we get that dialed in we're seeing the next big jump in mortality benefit for heart disease. We haven't seen this since statins.
Speaking of statins and cholesterol we have injectable meds coming that are just hitting the market and this is going to potentially be a game changer.

These are huge moves with huge implications where we had very rudimentary drugs not targeting the disease but targeting downstream effects in the past.
So when we getting the cure for cancer, doc?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
There have been tremendous advances in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, heart failure/transplant/VAD’s, fetal echocardiography and NICU care in the last 10-20 years. I have a number of patients who are doing great who would almost certainly died had they been born when I was in medical school, and a large percentage of the complex congenital heart disease patients the past 5 years or so have been diagnosed prenatally- enough that I can’t recall the last time a baby with undiagnosed congenital heart disease presented to an ER in the area in shock.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
There have been tremendous advances in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, heart failure/transplant/VAD’s, fetal echocardiography and NICU care in the last 10-20 years. I have a number of patients who are doing great who would almost certainly died had they been born when I was in medical school, and a large percentage of the complex congenital heart disease patients the past 5 years or so have been diagnosed prenatally- enough that I can’t recall the last time a baby with undiagnosed congenital heart disease presented to an ER in the area in shock.
When can we make cyborgs?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't think the pharmaceutical machine had a lot to do with that either.
limited supply
U need healthy Manuka(Tea Tree) plot and a super healthy population of Bees/beekeepers.
actually am in a thread on another site currently and there are people that use and have benefited from it for wounds and other stuff...like medical people and people treated at medical facilities

I just used it on myself after "googling", it worked great for me and I probably didn't have high strength honey.

I do wonder if some good shit(breakthroughs) is held back for various reasons.