What were you next level at as a Kid?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I'm interested to know if we have any child prodigies or people who were "kind of a big deal" when they were kids. I'm extending the definition of kids to college age (approx 22).

Are you still doing the thing you were considered a wunderkind at or did you peter out? If the former, how did you parlay it into adult success? If the latter, what went wrong?

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
I'm fairly smart, I was left alone in class reading National Geographic for all of fourth class (10-11) otherwise I'd get bored and disruptive. Lack of discipline, being socially awkward and coming from poverty meant I hated school and didn't go to third level (yet) even though the environment would have suited me I think.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I was meritoriously promoted to e-4 and had my own howitzer in under 2 years (section Chief is an e-6 role).... I guess that's kind of cool that before I was 21 I directly controlled well over $2, 000,000 worth of death and destruction and 10 Marines lives.

P

Punch

Hmmm. Packing my bags? I went to 19 different schools all across CONUS and OCONUS, so it's a bit of a blur.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Grew up partly in backwoods Louisiana.
Spent most of my time chasing frogs and putting my finger in my nose at socially inappropriate times. Had a speech impediment requiring therapy.

I was as close to Forrest gump without the leg braces as possible.

Eagerly waiting to read a thread about those with the talent I was born without.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Everything but pickleball.
I was a child author, geologist, athlete, fighter, beat boxer, singer, musician, actor, impressionist, and entrepreneur.

Currently a wino.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Grew up partly in backwoods Louisiana.
Spent most of my time chasing frogs and putting my finger in my nose at socially inappropriate times. Had a speech impediment requiring therapy.

I was as close to Forrest gump without the leg braces as possible.

Eagerly awaiting to read a thread about those with the talent I was born without.
I had a speech impediment too! Took 10 years of therapy to fix it. sucked at the time but now I am told I have a great speaking voice (anyone want to hire me to do a voiceover?)

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
In college I was a tecmo bowl prodigy. I dominated everyone even a future infamous murderer.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was a phenomenal pitcher as a kid. I understood the game at a young age (pitch placement, changing speeds, situational pitching) and I could throw very hard for a kid my age so it put me well ahead of the competition at the time. Had a couple no hitters, but my favorite stat was striking out the side on 9 pitches.

Eventually the other kids caught up to my skill level. By the time high school rolled around I was just another pitcher. Eventually I moved to catcher because I liked that position better. You got to call the pitches, toss out baserunners and had the occasional collision at home - not to mention you could play every game.

I'm in my 40s now and play the hot corner in beer league softball. Im the geezer of the league - the rest of my team is in their 20s. I contemplate retirement every year, but I haven't started embarrassing myself yet. Season starts in about a month.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Not to put someone else's stuff out there, but Wintermute @peter_weyland was a pro quality artist by age 14. Still one of the best artists I've ever seen, but sadly he retired his pencil to do things like redesigning the TMMAC website.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I was a phenomenal pitcher as a kid. I understood the game at a young age (pitch placement, changing speeds, situational pitching) and I could throw very hard for a kid my age so it put me well ahead of the competition at the time. Had a couple no hitters, but my favorite stat was striking out the side on 9 pitches.

Eventually the other kids caught up to my skill level. By the time high school rolled around I was just another pitcher. Eventually I moved to catcher because I liked that position better. You got to call the pitches, toss out baserunners and had the occasional collision at home - not to mention you could play every game.

I'm in my 40s now and play the hot corner in beer league softball. Im the geezer of the league - the rest of my team is in their 20s. I contemplate retirement every year, but I haven't started embarrassing myself yet. Season starts in about a month.
Very cool. I always think having that kind of control as a kid is incredibly difficult so in a way your achievement was more exceptional than the high school kids pumped up on HGH who displaced you. Also very cool that you switched to catching as a lot of pitchers don't have the grit to be behind the plate.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
WAS :)

And I played at the lowest college level possible. Star in high school...maybe. At least in my own mind anyway :)
Hang on, organizing a 1 on 1 between you repping TMMAC and the UG's Souljacker as we speak.

For charity. The White family needs its snow this Christmas.

P

Punch

Okay now that i thought about it more, i'm going to have to go with sizing people up. Moving around that much and being well cultured (especially for an american) at a young age gave me some serious terminator vision.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I was a prodigy at slaying pussy. Then i joined the military and honed my skills at becoming the wingman. I was the undisputed heavyweight fucking champion of my ship.