What's your least favourite shocking upset in MMA?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
For me, Pena-Nunes and it's not close. I really like Nunes, and Pena was hands down the challenger that I least wanted to see win Nunes' belt. I saw it coming, too.

Most big upsets are pretty cool. It's usually pretty awesome to see a Rocky moment play out in real life. I like GSP a lot better than I like Matt Serra, but I still like the drama of their first fight. But I don't like the drama of Pena-Nunes.

What's the upset result that most left you with a reaction of "aaaaaah...... ffs"?

??

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Maybe Garbrant vs Cruz.

For one I thought him to be a fairly limited fighter (which turned out to be true), and inferior to Cruz in many aspects. And while I really don't know that much about him he seemed to be a jerk.
Cruz is an ass as well, but in a somewhat funny way.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Maybe Garbrant vs Cruz.

For one I thought him to be a fairly limited fighter (which turned out to be true), and inferior to Cruz in many aspects. And while I really don't know that much about him he seemed to be a jerk.
Yeah I feel exactly the same with that one, actually. Though Cody kinda amuses me with what a moron hothead he is, while Pena just straight up aggravates the shit out of me every time I see her or hear anything from her, pretty much.

??

Nick Diaz still GOAT

Posting Machine
Mar 1, 2016
Maybe Garbrant vs Cruz.

that might have been my favorite, just because I hate Cruz.

gentlemanscombatives

Aug 31, 2020
yoshihisa yamamoto vs mark kerr
yamamoto had this weird curse where significantly better fighters would either have a complete brain fart or just spontaneously injure themselves while fighting him

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Like half the crowd in Chicago were speaking Russian and there were a million perfect 10 model chicks with old guys in suits

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Biping rockhold

Was extremely conflicted on this one

Can’t stand bisping but Rockhold was very cocky and arrogant.

Conundrum

I caught myself rooting for bisping

of course things went back to normal minutes after the fight and forever after as bisping avoided all legit contenders and talked

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Hendo vs. Emelianenko. Every year I try to forget it happened.
Yeah, I find this one to be distasteful.

Hendo getting to claim that it was some David vs Goliath win when he was on more juice than an East German athletics team.

And the shittyness of the finish. Just a punch from an awkward position out of nowhere, fuelled by said juice.

M

member 3289

Hendo getting to claim that it was some David vs Goliath win when he was on more juice than an East German athletics team.

And the shittyness of the finish. Just a punch from an awkward position out of nowhere, fuelled by said juice.
Hendo was pretty juiced up for most of his career but he was also a natural middleweight.

That alone evens the odds and makes it hilarious that he slept a career heavyweight in Fedor.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

That's the story of most of Hendo's career. Lucky punches, shocking upsets, baffling decisions. Dude was a warrior, but if anyone was primed for me to hate him having this fight and result, it's him.

M

member 3289

That's the story of most of Hendo's career. Lucky punches, shocking upsets, baffling decisions. Dude was a warrior, but if anyone was primed for me to hate him having this fight and result, it's him.
Lol that was not a lucky punch, broseph.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hendo vs. Emelianenko. Every year I try to forget it happened.
I thought hendo was gonna get fucked. I was rooting for him tho, my buddys favourite fighter is Fedor. The internet in our block was shite and so were streams so we used to wait and torrent it. Then we'd hook the laptop up to a TV and watch the ufc or whatever event, this case strike force. I had shitloads of events on my hard drive too. We called it Sunday club, beer in green tins was outlawed.

UFC, followed by jersey shore, then the pub.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Fedor just got hit from a position where HWs don't normally punch, and got planted on his head.
and Fedor made a career of fighting juicy guys on LHW frames and freak shows. I don't hate him, he's GOAT HW, but the loss to Hendo didn't bother me. It was an inevitability, just glad it was a bona-fide fighter like Hendo and not "some dude" on an M1 card that caught Fedo clean or GnPed him to oblivion.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Lol that was not a lucky punch, broseph.
It wasn't lucky at all, but it was a punch from a position and angle that 9999/10000 wouldn't normally result in a KO, particularly of someone who had never been outright KOd before.

'Lucky KO' is not right but 'random KO' is. Doesn't feel very definitive or satisfying. Feels like Silva vs Weidman 1, which is another worthy inclusion.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015

Fedor is russian. Think he was really all natty?