When did Ronda surpass Cyborg as #1 mma woman fighter?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I feel like the talk about Ronda/Cyborg is split regarding where they should fight at(weight) and who is the top dog between the two.

Personally, I still feel Cyborg is the woman to beat. I do feel Cyborg could solidfy that status more by fighting/beating Ronda.
i also feel, that Ronda is capable of beating Cyborg(at 145lbs) and feel IF Ronda was to fight and beat Cyborg, Ronda would for sure be the #1 woman to beat.

But if you already have Ronda being the #1 woman fighter-Why?
What did she do to surpass Cyborg, and when did this happen?
Did Cyborg lose her status b/c of the drug test and not a fight?

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Ronda has cleared out the top 5 contenders with ease pretty much in the 1st round and is undefeated.While Cyborg has had a steady diet of inferior opponents.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
crowbar;n32717 said:
Ronda has cleared out the top 5 contenders with ease pretty much in the 1st round and is undefeated.While Cyborg has had a steady diet of inferior opponents.
How long until Ronda's opponents are inferior opponents? It's normal to wipe out a division and then fight inferior opponents. Jones didn't start off fighting Chael and Vitor, GSP didn't start off fighting Alves and Hardy.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Well,I`ll put it like this then....how many top 5 opponents has Christiane submitted or finished in the 1st round ?

Gina or is there more?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
crowbar;n32740 said:
Well,I`ll put it like this then....how many top 5 opponents has Christiane submitted or finished in the 1st round ?

Gina or is there more?

i don't rank opponents but moreso judge them off their skills. Styles make fights, and Ronda's style has been buzzsawing through her opponents. Cyborg however, I feel posses two things that can cause problems-submission defense and powerful punches.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Well,that`s why we are debating.My take on it is that Ronda has not only dismanted her opponents....but has done it in the 1st round.

Where it took Cyborg longer to dismantle her opponents.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I personally think cyborg is the woman to beat.

However you can't hide from the facts. Ronda is the most dominant woman in the sports history. and aside from cyborg (whom I have started to doubt would beat her) I just see her steamrolling through whoever they put in front of her and setting more records

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I realise I contradict myself above. The more I think about it the less clear cut it becomes

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Ronda became the #1 when dana said she was, or atleast in the UFC fanboi realm. Ronda IS #1 at 135, Cybrog IS #1 at 145. Until they meet there is NO clear #1 in the world.

The Tomahawk Murderer

Feb 12, 2015
I feel the same way as Song2. I always thought Cyborg would smash Rousey, but Rousey has been even more dominant in a deeper pool than Cyborg lately. Starting to have a harder time arguing Cyborg as #1.

As for a potential fight, I'm also conflicted about how I think it would go. I just can't help but think that Gina Carano got mount on Cyborg for a second, which would be bad news against Ronda. I think Rousey is more skilled overall, but Cyborg is stupid strong for a woman. She slammed friggin Tito Ortiz, I don't even think a Faber or Aldo could do that, lol. She may well be able to Rampage-bomb Ronda to get out of a sub. I also have a feeling Ronda wouldn't handle her punches well. With the new testing and weight drop though, she may not be quite so strong or hit so hard as that if the fight actually happens.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Ronda has a better resume because she has never popped. Women produce less test than men, so cheating with steroids gives you an even bigger advantage over other women than if men cheat. All of her opponents have been fighting in the right weight class for them as well, something you can't say for Cyborg.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
As I posted earlier, until the fight happens its his or her own personal opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. That is what makes this great. The fight isnt gonna happen or atleast not no time soon so it keeps the fanbase talking and not just walking away. Deep down everyone knows this fight will not take place but there is still that tiny grasp of maybe.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
dacofty;n32945 said:
Ronda became the #1 when dana said she was, or atleast in the UFC fanboi realm. Ronda IS #1 at 135, Cybrog IS #1 at 145. Until they meet there is NO clear #1 in the world.

This is how i feel.

Nodig

Jan 24, 2015
WMMA is fairly new to the UFC yet WMMA as been around for years outside of it. I feel the talent pool is very thin in the UFC yet people pretend they have the best women when in truth they really have not, it's about building a star at the moment.

CockPuncher

Feb 8, 2015
I admit, I'm ignorant to what's going on in women's MMA, but it does seem that Cyborg fights some pretty sorry opponents. Then again, a UFC featuring the Holmes vs. Pennington fight seemed like an embarrassment to me. They both looked terrible. The women's division is going to take many years to develop just like the men did. Rousey happens to already possess some world class skills, so she is where she is. I wonder how many people she has to beat before she stops being considered a fluke.

I don't care if she ever fights Cyborg. I just hope the 135lbs. weight class develops talent. When I see a great 170lbs. fighter, I don't say, "Now a 185lbs. fighter has to be beat to prove it." Even if Cyborg won, Rousey would still be the greatest women's bantamweight. It changes nothing in that respect, so it is pointless endeavor that could greatly hurt Rousey's brand, but only marginally benefit her with hardcore fans.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Nodig;n33143 said:
WMMA is fairly new to the UFC yet WMMA as been around for years outside of it. I feel the talent pool is very thin in the UFC yet people pretend they have the best women when in truth they really have not, it's about building a star at the moment.

I was thinking about that last night. You're 100% right in this observation. MMA has evolved quite a bit since 1994. However that's mostly in men's mma. Women's mma, their evolution obviously is behind the curve.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
crowbar;n32717 said:
Are Ronda's opponents any less inferior when facing the best female fighter in their organization? Being signed to the UFC and fighting on a regular basis (even winning on a regular basis) doesn't mean much when the number one contenders in your division are being finished in less than twenty seconds by Rousey. Don't get me wrong, Ronda is the best female fighter in MMA, no question. She is more active, more dominant, and doesn't have the stigma of a failed PED test, but Cyborg is still second best, and there's a long drop off before you get to number three on that list.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
While I agree ronda/cyborg are #1 and #2, and everyone else a long drop off, but I do not know who is #1, and who is #2.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
Cyborg hasn't been active for a while, we're not even sure she can do 135, Rousey has provided better results over the last few years, she deserve #1 status imo.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
CockPuncher;n33144 said:
I admit, I'm ignorant to what's going on in women's MMA, but it does seem that Cyborg fights some pretty sorry opponents. Then again, a UFC featuring the Holmes vs. Pennington fight seemed like an embarrassment to me. They both looked terrible. The women's division is going to take many years to develop just like the men did. Rousey happens to already possess some world class skills, so she is where she is. I wonder how many people she has to beat before she stops being considered a fluke.

I don't care if she ever fights Cyborg. I just hope the 135lbs. weight class develops talent. When I see a great 170lbs. fighter, I don't say, "Now a 185lbs. fighter has to be beat to prove it." Even if Cyborg won, Rousey would still be the greatest women's bantamweight. It changes nothing in that respect, so it is pointless endeavor that could greatly hurt Rousey's brand, but only marginally benefit her with hardcore fans.
Pretty much right on, rousey is the best bantamweight in the world, Cyborg is the best featherweight in the world and don't forget we have Carla as well. If we go around saying who the best woman is, what about the males, who's the best? See until there is a fight they all are the best in the world in their division