Where Does Joanna & WMMA Go Now?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I would rather see her leave (though I’d be stunned if the UFC let her) and fight where she could make bank. She has done really well in the UFC but will not get a title shot in tge 115 or 125 divisions anytime soon. ACB, KSW and Rizin would be great opportunities for her with new girls she hasn’t fought.
Who's to say she won't be the Faber of the women's division? She could easily get a title shot every other fight.

Nov 21, 2015
True, but your take on WMMA is a bit premature. Cyborg is a bigger star than you give her credit for.

I think the problem is broader than that; UFC needs a way to make "stars" out of non-champions or ex-champions.
Then they could promote peeps like JJ & Karate Hottie without everything having to be "for then belt", and you're nothing if you don't have one.
Look back at PRIDE (Neva Die). Legit superstars virtually every card whether they won a belt or not.
(Maybe have some tournaments without belt implications, IDK).
I'd like to share the same optimism but I don't think Cyborg will ever be anything close
to the cross over star Ronda was or JJ potentially could be. Plus she's been fighting forever.
If she was going to be a mega star it would have happened by now.

I do however think Karate Hottie and Rose have that potential.

The problem is Rose is not interested in that part of the game and Karate Hottie
I don't think is good enough to be a dominant champion.

When's the last time a female main event was all over the media from
Good morning America, to late night TV to ESPN and your own grandmother
was asking you about it?

The last time was when Amanda beat the brakes off Ronda

Its fizzled out ever since with small sparks of light when JJ and Rose fought
but none of these women can bring that kinda cross over crowd.

Now JJ has very little chance to either

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
I'd like to share the same optimism but I don't think Cyborg will ever be anything close
to the cross over star Ronda was or JJ potentially could be. Plus she's been fighting forever.
If she was going to be a mega star it would have happened by now.

I do however think Karate Hottie and Rose have that potential.

The problem is Rose is not interested in that part of the game and Karate Hottie
I don't think is good enough to be a dominant champion.

When's the last time a female main event was all over the media from
Good morning America, to late night TV to ESPN and your own grandmother
was asking you about it?

The last time was when Amanda beat the brakes off Ronda

Its fizzled out ever since with small sparks of light when JJ and Rose fought
but none of these women can bring that kinda cross over crowd.

Now JJ has very little chance to either
of course she'll never be the crossover star like Ronda, but one thing I've noticed when Cyborg's fights come on at bars is she has that "oh shit!" factor that not many have. People stop to watch and yell out as she bludgeons her opponent.

I'm not sure how long she's going to keep it going, though. She was pretty cautious against Holm and I wouldn't be too surprised if Amanda beats her.

Nov 21, 2015
of course she'll never be the crossover star like Ronda, but one thing I've noticed when Cyborg's fights come on at bars is she has that "oh shit!" factor that not many have. People stop to watch and yell out as she bludgeons her opponent.

I'm not sure how long she's going to keep it going, though. She was pretty cautious against Holm and I wouldn't be too surprised if Amanda beats her.
I'm actually pumped as hell for this fight!

I think Cyborg has maybe 3 years left that she'll be around. The problem is there
is no competition at 145 and very little "pretty competition" which is still what draws
the cross over crowd to women fights

Last edited: