General Which chhainsaw should i buy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with those above who said you can’t go wrong with either. I have a Husqvarna, and it starts first pull every time, and runs like a champ. The Husqvarna files are easy to find even at big box stores, and their chains sharpen easily.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
You can put a larger bar on the husky, 28" just the recommended. The more chain you're pulling the harder it is on the saw. There's no way I'll be sawing anything close to 30" I simply don't have the space.
I'd buy the stihl in a heartbeat I'm just having a hard time justifying that extra $400

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Your joking but your actually correct

Makita bought out Dolmar many years ago

Dolmar makes some really saws...My favorite saw is a Dolmar 5150(Super fast saw)

I have both a Stihl and a Husq saw also...your not gonna go wrong with either one ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon
I have used an alaskan Mill...So fucking cool to mill your own

This guy makes his own Mill...he is an interesting character...lives in a forest of Redwood
I have watched this video a couple times...I enjoy it

He rocks a Husky with 42 inch bar in this video FYI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAIs8VLFbls

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Get the Stihl.

Rock solid machine.

Buddy has the 662 and we use it all the damned time to cut slabs. Never had an issue with it in 4 years.

Plus... The ability to use a bigger bar and mill becomes a necessity faster than you imagine. Sometimes it's just because of how a crotch is sitting and you really have to get silly creative and risk ruining the slab over 1 more inch of flexibility for an angle.

(Ps. Your damned Canadian conversion about made me shit my pants at your pricing).
I agree about getting a saw that can accommodate a longer bar...I learned that the hard way and had to purchase a third saw for exactly that

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Looking to pickup a new chainsaw. Also want to get an Alaskan sawmill so I can cut some slabs.

I'm looking at either the Husqavarna 572xp or the Stihl 462

They're comparable in size and power. The husky can handle up to a 28" bar (recommended) whereas the stihl can accommodate a 32" bar. I don't see myself needing anything that big anytime soon.

I can get the Husky for $1000 and the Stihl for $1400
No offence but both of those are way too much saw for you.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Says the freshwater fisherman.
Every spring at the opening of Maple season, I see a bunch of hopped up amateurs in the woods with a brand new saw that they have no idea how to handle. I usually grab the saw off them, smash their blade on a rock and tell them to get the fuck out of the forest.

Last edited:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Every spring at the opening of Maple season, I see a bunch of hopped up amateurs in the woods with a brand new saw that they have no idea how to handle. I usually grab the saw off them, smash their blade on a rock and tell them to get the fuck out of the forest.
Screenshot_20210115-200938_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I have a Stihl. Great machine.
If you intend to go larger bar make sure you get one with an engine that can accomodate it.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Don't be a pussy and use your muscles.

I recently felled a tree with dovetail saw, cause it was the only thing I had on me.

Stihl is my choice tho

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

I talked to my chainsaw friend in OR.

He says you probably won't need a bar bigger than 24" but once in a blue moon. The Stihl will run a little better with a full chain and a long bar, but both will run a skip-chain easy. The Husqy air filter stays cleaner longer, and some of the older guys on the mountain moved away from Stihl to Husqy because the anti-vibe system is so much better and doesn't beat up their elbows. Other guys don't notice or give a shit.

He also mentioned that if he was in the market for a new chainsaw (he had 11, but down to 6) he'd get the Stihl 362C-M

EDIT - he also added that all of his saws are ported, and it would be more cost-effective to buy an older saw that's been ported or have it done

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

I talked to my chainsaw friend in OR.

He says you probably won't need a bar bigger than 24" but once in a blue moon. The Stihl will run a little better with a full chain and a long bar, but both will run a skip-chain easy. The Husqy air filter stays cleaner longer, and some of the older guys on the mountain moved away from Stihl to Husqy because the anti-vibe system is so much better and doesn't beat up their elbows. Other guys don't notice or give a shit.

He also mentioned that if he was in the market for a new chainsaw (he had 11, but down to 6) he'd get the Stihl 362C-M

EDIT - he also added that all of his saws are ported, and it would be more cost-effective to buy an older saw that's been ported or have it done
Decided to go with the Stihl 500i

79cc
16"-36" bar

Waiting for mill to arrive got it for $90 down from $130 has 36" capacity

I have to go new. If I plan to move to NZ, later this year, getting an old saw through would be near impossible.
Anything with a gas powered motor is essentially considered a vehicle, and would more likely than not fail MAF inspections.
I'd have to strip the saw down into all individual parts, ensure there is no soil or wood chips and drain and dry the fuel/oil reservoirs.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well I'll be a bare-assed monkeys uncle.
I've always known of coping saws, crosscut, back saw or flush cut saws.

Guess that's why I'm the lowly ol framer and not Bob Vila

M

member 1013

Well I'll be a bare-assed monkeys uncle.
I've always known of coping saws, crosscut, back saw or flush cut saws.

Guess that's why I'm the lowly ol framer and not Bob Vila
Many would call the dovetail saw a flush cut, some call it reversible

Q @Qat what type of saws do you own