Which comic-based shows have jumped the shark?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
When I was a kid, on screen superheroes were rare. Superman the movie was pretty much it. Hulk and Wonder Woman TV shows and the campy Batman and Robin made up the rest. All classics for sure but that was basically it for decades. Cartoons were pretty crap - spiderman was lame and super friends were dweebs. Hulk was cool.

We got Superboy, followed by Clark and Lois and then Smallville. Burton's Batman seemed to be the exception.

Then something wonderful happened. In the new millennium, it seemed that comic movies became profitable. Spiderman was really good. Batman Begins was amazing. 2008 saw Ironman, Dark Knight and Hellboy, as well as movies trying to cash in, like Hancock. Geeks have been getting it good ever since. Of course you get a fair share of stinkers but we can ignore the likes of Ghost Rider and Green Lantern when we're getting some MCU gems.

Now the TV shows are picking up and some are really good. I've enjoyed Arrow, Flash and Gotham. However, I'm at a point where I'm prepared to walk away from Arrow. It's turned to shit, mainly due the estrogen. Two out of three of the lead female characters are insufferable and Ray Palmer is a joke of a man. "You want to take my private jet to fuck another man? Sure, go ahead." And she's the nice girl of the three :/

I don't want to seem mysoginistic - there are good female characters in these shows, like the DTF scientist in Flash. I liked Sarah (who they killed off LOL). And it's not that I even object to having these "strong" female characters. It's more how the show handles them. Roy Harper following Thea around like a lost puppy while she's snubbing him for the greasy Russian DJ ninja. Anyone tolerating Black Canary etc. It's unwatchable for me.

I hope Eddie learns a lesson from Jim Gordon and tells Iris to take a hike if she wants to pry into his police work. I hope Fish Mooney's helicopter crashes. I hope DareDevil stays awesome.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
pretty spot on... i'm a little older than you, i watched the reruns of George Reeves' Superman in b&w... The Lone Ranger in b&w, The Kato Show, er I mean the Green Hornet show.

Agents of SHIELD started off superslow, but i enjoyed it watching it with my kids. It picked up considerably.

Now only my 12 yr old son and I watch the comics-shows (except DD), even his interest in Flash has waned. Gotham he's 50/50 on.

I'm probably going to watch as much as I can despite how good or bad the shows are. It tickles my geek heart to have so much comics-inspired tv/movies around in this Golden Age. Enjoying it while I can before comics goes back relative obscurity

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
I kinda like Flash but won't worry if I miss an episode. Gotham started strong for me but Barbara's storyline is laughable, as is young Batboy.

I haven't started Daredevil yet but it's queued up on my stream machine.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
I kinda like Flash but won't worry if I miss an episode. Gotham started strong for me but Barbara's storyline is laughable, as is young Batboy.

I haven't started Daredevil yet but it's queued up on my stream machine.
At this point, DD is probably is the tv series to measure against. It has set the bar high!

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
That's what I keep hearing. I just don't have the time to binge watch all of it right now.
i'm notorious for not having time to do stuff i want to do

it took me about 10 days to watch the 13 episodes. no need to binge watch all in a day or 2, spread it out!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Arrow was quite good this week but more of the Dawson Creek bullshit with Thea and beta Roy. Also LOL @ ironman taking out a jet but surrendering to guys with swords