White: Conor McGregor 'crazy' for wanting to fight RDA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Conor McGregor had plenty of options for his next fight. That's a point he has made over and over.

According to Dana White, he didn't exactly take the path of least resistance when he chose to move up to lightweight and face champion Rafael dos Anjos.

"Conor wants to be a two-belt champion, so he wants to fight dos Anjos, which is crazy," the UFC president said on "Opie with Jim Norton" on Thursday. "If you look at that guy, look what he did to 'Cowboy' Cerrone, look what he did to Ben Henderson, look what he did to Anthony Pettis. And now Conor wants to fight this guy. It's gonna be awesome."

The brash Irishman has done all these things after saying he would do them, too.

"It's not even about shit talk with this guy," White said. "His mental warfare game is better than anything I've ever seen in how he gets in guys' heads immediately. Very intelligent, calculated. Conor McGregor is a very interesting guy."

Frankie Edgar is the top contender at featherweight. Nate Diaz is looking for a fight, too. McGregor has even expressed interest in moving up and challenging for the welterweight belt. The list goes on and on.

"From flyweight to heavyweight, they all want to fight Conor McGregor," White said. "It's the money fight."

LINK: Dana White: Conor McGregor 'crazy' (in a good way) for wanting to fight Rafael dos Anjos

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I still think it's ridiculous he holds a belt hostage. You either defend it or lose it. So everyone has to sit and wait for him? Or is he is holding it as he believes he will lose and then can still call himself a champ?

TheAwkwardTitan

IQ = 209
Jan 30, 2016
It's pretty crazy in comparison to most champs I guess. Not many champions move up, but then again they don't have the choice to hold two belts at once.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I'm ok with a guy trying to claim two belts, but I believe after holding both belts for 24 hours, you should have to relinquish the old belt to the rest of the division. That way, you can make the claim of once being a two division champ simultaneously but still not fuck it up for an entire division for very long. In fact, I want to see MORE champ vs. champ fights across weight classes, not fewer.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If you can defend each belt twice a year, why not? I like superstars.
Because you have 3-6 possible contenders in 2 different classes waiting around for you to fight. What if Conor wins against RDA but suffers a shitty injury which sidelines him for 6 months? By the time ges ready to go both divisions are log jammed I'd think. Frankie is the obvious choice at 145 so does he wait for the nod or take yet another contender fight and risk injury himself?

It's cool to see two active champs square off but I just don't know how it'll play out and see too many potential risks for many to try and create an amazing legacy for one.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Because you have 3-6 possible contenders in 2 different classes waiting around for you to fight. What if Conor wins against RDA but suffers a shitty injury which sidelines him for 6 months? By the time ges ready to go both divisions are log jammed I'd think. Frankie is the obvious choice at 145 so does he wait for the nod or take yet another contender fight and risk injury himself?

It's cool to see two active champs square off but I just don't know how it'll play out and see too many potential risks for many to try and create an amazing legacy for one.
Then he need to give up at least one of his belts.

If he defends them twice a year, why not. It's a big if, but a year ago you would have called his streak through fw and dismantling of Aldo in the first exchange a big if.

At this point Conor deserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Then he need to give up at least one of his belts.

If he defends them twice a year, why not. It's a big if, but a year ago you would have called his streak through fw and dismantling of Aldo in the first exchange a big if.

At this point Conor deserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.
I guess they are trying something new while he's got the Midas touch. I wonder what other former champs would've tried a similar path if given the same opportunity.

M

member 3289

I guess they are trying something new while he's got the Midas touch. I wonder what other former champs would've tried a similar path if given the same opportunity.
He's earned the right to try, just based on the money he has brought to the company.

I suspect that after he beats RDA he will vacate one of the belts. I think he just wants the experience of having two at the same time, not necessarily defending both year-round.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
I was a hater of what I perceived as Conor's arrogance for a long time. Then he just went apeshit on the division.

He's the one. Mystic Mac. The messiah. The chosen one.

Placed here on earth to destroy the UFCs stranglehold on mma.

M

member 3289

And lol @ RDA being this unstoppable monster. Goof gonna goof when it comes to wolf tickets.

Let's not forget that RDA got battered by Jeremy Stephens and got his jaw cracked by Clay Guida ffs.

I understand he's gotten better since then but he's still very, very beatable.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
I still think it's ridiculous he holds a belt hostage. You either defend it or lose it. So everyone has to sit and wait for him? Or is he is holding it as he believes he will lose and then can still call himself a champ?
Aldo (and most champs) would defend twice per year. If Conor faces Frankie at UFC 200 it will be 7 months since winning the FW belt. You are complaining b/c Conor is spending his champion's vacation chasing LW glory.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
To be fair, Aldo "held it hostage" for quite some time. How many times has he pulled out of championship fights? 7-8 times?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
fuck off dana.you are the one allowing him to fight RDA when he hasnt even defended his FW belt yet

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
so lets fuck over 6 -8 legit contenders life for the next year because conor wants to call the shots
First, champs average 2 fights a year. 4 contenders And with the nature of rematches in the ufc, that brings it closer to 2-3 contenders a year. J/k And that's only if he doesn't fight for the ENTIRE year. If he goes more than 6 months, I'm all for stripping him.

But so far, he's been a man of his word.

He predicted taking out Aldo in the first exchange.

You need to put the haterade down buddy. I think you've had your fill.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Fuck the rules.fuck the rankings.screw the contenders just do whatever you want

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
I stopped watching sports because I just love watching a good fight.

This is unarmed combat.

LawFitz

Fantasy Fighter
Nov 18, 2015
so lets fuck over 6 -8 legit contenders life for the next year because conor wants to call the shots
Were you accusing Aldo of fvcking over contenders when he would defend just twice per year?

Conor plans to defend against Frankie at UFC 200. That's right on Aldo's FW defense schedule.