White: McGregor-Poirier rematch ‘a completely different fight’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 249 Khabib Nurmagomedov Tony Ferguson MMA News Shakiel Mahjouri COVID-19 Coronavirus

UFC 257 will feature one of the most anticipated rematches of the year when Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier lock horns on Jan. 23 at a to be determined venue.

Their first fight at UFC 178 ended in a knockout victory for McGregor after the Irishman clipped Poirier with a grazing left hook in the first round and then finished the fight with ground strikes.

A lot has changed since then, however, and UFC president Dana White expects the rematch to play out completely different.

“It’s a completely different fight,” White told BT Sport in a recent interview (h/t Cole Shelton of MMA News). “Obviously Conor is a much better fighter than he was when he first faced him, and Poirier is a much better fighter too. I don’t know how that plays out now in the fight, but it’s definitely interesting. You can’t look at the first fight and go, ‘Oh, this is exactly the way that’s gonna go again.’ Because it won’t.”

“Conor looks damn good, and Poirier’s always in shape. I expect this to be a good fight.”

Their first fight was contested at featherweight but both men now compete at 155 pounds, with McGregor winning the lightweight title at UFC 205 with a stunning TKO victory over Eddie Alvarez to become the first simultaneous two-division champion in UFC history. Poirier went on to capture the interim lightweight title with a convincing decision win over then-featherweight titleholder Max Holloway at UFC 236 but came up short against Khabib in their title unification bout, losing via third-round submission. McGregor, too, was submitted by Khabib at UFC 229, succumbing to a neck crank in the fourth round.

UFC 257 is currently without a venue but will likely take place at the UFC Apex Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Dana White: McGregor-Poirier rematch ‘is a completely different fight’

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Conor is technically better on the feet but isn’t as durable as Dustin. If Dustin can start landing shots Conor will wilt. @conor mcgregor nut hugger you still wanting to bet on this? IIRC you offered “any other outcome other than Conor KOing him you win”. Correct?

M

member 3289

Conor is technically better on the feet but isn’t as durable as Dustin. If Dustin can start landing shots Conor will wilt. @conor mcgregor nut hugger you still wanting to bet on this? IIRC you offered “any other outcome other than Conor KOing him you win”. Correct?
Correct. It finna be another KO by Conor. Most likely R1 again but a KO regardless.

Deleted - BW

Last edited by a moderator:

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
People who say gonna are mongaloids. Especially cumchugger.

Dustin rd 2

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Porier has somehow added not just weight and strength, but stamina and durability since he moved up to LW.
Conor was already a superior striker and he has grown tremendously in that area since the first fight.
Both appear to be in peak physical conditioning. Going to be fascinating to see what happens.

What an amazing way to kick off the 2021 season.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Poirier is going to dog walk him, and I'm going to be spitting coke zero and crackers and cheese all over my couch because I'll be laughing so hard.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
it is going to kill conor to not be able to do a half ounce of coke on new years eve this year