General WHO declares monkeypox a global public health emergency

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
1658614608477.png

The World Health Organization this week officially declared the monkeypox outbreak a global public health emergency, a move that comes after several months of the virus's having spread to dozens of countries around the world.

The WHO said on its website on Saturday that organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus "has determined that the multi-country outbreak of monkeypox constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern."

In a statement to press, Ghebreyesus said that the monkeypox virus "has spread around the world rapidly, through new modes of transmission, about which we understand too little, and which meets the criteria" for the organization's declaration.

The director-general noted that the WHO's Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulation was "unable to reach a consensus" on whether to make the declaration itself, compelling Ghebreyesus to make the declaration on his own.

"[W]ith the tools we have right now, we can stop transmission and bring this outbreak under control," he said.

The virus, which has largely spread among gay men in the countries in which it has been detected, is overwhelmingly non-fatal; of the 16,000 reported cases worldwide there have reportedly been only three deaths.

World Health Organization declares monkeypox a global public health emergency

Attachments

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Gr8 thread would read again
Legit question. Do you want to continue to be a part of this community? Or is following me around, trying to play gotcha, and leaving smartass one liners because you're resentful of me 1) having an opinion on Ukraine you disagreed with, and 2) banning one your friends who had 25-30 warnings and 10 alt accounts, going to be your existence here? Let me know one way or the other, so we can part ways if necessary.

Oct 24, 2015
Legit question. Do you want to continue to be a part of this community? Or is following me around, trying to play gotcha, and leaving smartass one liners because you're resentful of me 1) having an opinion on Ukraine you disagreed with, and 2) banning one your friends who had 25-30 warnings and 10 alt accounts, going to be your existence here? Let me know one way or the other, so we can part ways if necessary.
Lol I don't know your opinion on Ukraine. No friends here that got bant. If your talking about CMNH and John those were pretty weak. But I guess we need to clean house so we can get that confirmation bias we need. Can't have people questioning the questionable news extreme right news sources. God forbid those libs get an inch. Do what you need to do. I really don't think Splinty @Splinty is coming back. And all kinds of posters are leaving.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Monkeypox huh?

No thanks, not buying it.
Unless it was in the recent vaccines.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It's a puff disease. If you don't want monkey pox don't go bareback on queers..

Simple

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
it’s another scam job by the vaccine investment monkeys.

they’ll have a vaccine mandate before you know it. And I won’t take that Guinea pig drug either. The sheep will let them continue to experiment with viruses in their bodies and I’ll continue to be virus free

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Lol I don't know your opinion on Ukraine. No friends here that got bant. If your talking about CMNH and John those were pretty weak. But I guess we need to clean house so we can get that confirmation bias we need. Can't have people questioning the questionable news extreme right news sources. God forbid those libs get an inch. Do what you need to do. I really don't think Splinty @Splinty is coming back. And all kinds of posters are leaving.
Shit like the above coming from an admin is pretty off-putting.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's a puff disease. If you don't want monkey pox don't go bareback on queers..

Simple
What I find really fucked is, some media outlets appear to be trying to justify this emergency order by saying kids are getting it...we have to protect the kids now. But the WHO has said this is being sexually transmitted mostly thru gay sex, right? Do those two things add up? How are kids getting it if it sexually transmitted? Why is no one asking that?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What I find really fucked is, some media outlets appear to be trying to justify this emergency order by saying kids are getting it...we have to protect the kids now. But the WHO has said this is being sexually transmitted mostly thru gay sex, right? Do those two things add up? How are kids getting it if it sexually transmitted? Why is no one asking that?
I randomly got mumps aged 18-19. There wasn't an outbreak it just happened. Nobody else had it.just me.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Maybe the guy is confused ?

View: https://twitter.com/livepddave1/status/1551164360562581506?s=21&t=pvaPcgNUeQtWJM4abOGGLA

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That’s your’re invited to his next party
I used to have a gay buddy. Our group used to go to the 80s weekend at butlins, wed all refuse to room with him because he's a puff, and he'd argue back that were all too ugly for him. Funny times.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
I used to have a gay buddy. Our group used to go to the 80s weekend at butlins, wed all refuse to room with him because he's a puff, and he'd argue back that were all too ugly for him. Funny times.
Don’t lie. When he said you were all too ugly for him, that really cut to your bones.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
It's not that it's sexually transmitted, it's that caregivers can pass it to babies through holding them for a prolonged period I think.

This is from the cdc:
Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through:

• direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids
  • respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex
  • touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids
  • pregnant people can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta
It’s also possible for people to get monkeypox from infected animals, either by being scratched or bitten by the animal or by preparing or eating meat or using products from an infected animal.

Monkeypox can spread from the time symptoms start until the rash has fully healed and a fresh layer of skin has formed. The illness typically lasts 2-4 weeks. People who do not have monkeypox symptoms cannot spread the virus to others. At this time, it is not known if monkeypox can spread through semen or vaginal fluids.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
It's not that it's sexually transmitted, it's that caregivers can pass it to babies through holding them for a prolonged period I think.

This is from the cdc:
Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through:

• direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids
  • respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex
  • touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids
  • pregnant people can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta
It’s also possible for people to get monkeypox from infected animals, either by being scratched or bitten by the animal or by preparing or eating meat or using products from an infected animal.

Monkeypox can spread from the time symptoms start until the rash has fully healed and a fresh layer of skin has formed. The illness typically lasts 2-4 weeks. People who do not have monkeypox symptoms cannot spread the virus to others. At this time, it is not known if monkeypox can spread through semen or vaginal fluids.
Do you think he takes the CDC seriously?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I will add, without any special knowledge of monkeypox or gay men, that the gay men in my life are not particularly flamboyant or feminine, or maybe I'm seeing signal switching, but they seem like normal dudes who honestly don't have the greatest grooming habits.

So wondering if they're more likely to ignore skin imperfections in each other rather than just avoid the area? Idk.