Who does (should) Conor face next?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Who should Conor fight next?

• Nate Diaz

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Kevin Lee

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Edson Barboza

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Dustin Poirier 2 @ Lightweight

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Jose Aldo 2 @ Featherweight

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Khabib rematch doesn't make sense. The fight was too one sided, and I don't think much is going to change.

Tony should get next shot, so he's out.

So that leaves the guys listed below.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
^no way. they need to put him in pride mode. give conor 2 months to prepare and tell someone with holes in their game to take the match on 3 week's notice.

CLINTK9

Oct 20, 2015
I only want to see conor fight big fights. lee, barboza, porier, are great fights, but no big fight feel to them. aldo's old and aint gonna do shit. the aldo rematch needed to happen a long time ago. i would like to see, in order:

gsp (cowboy stadium superfight)

khabib rematch (one sided, but the hype will be even bigger now with the maylay that occured)

nate diaz (lets get this trilogy done already)

paulie malignaggi (preferably mma, since he talks so much shit, but boxing would be fine)

ferguson (great fight here!, trash talk would be fun!)

holloway/ortega winner (both great fights and a FW title fight it would be)

some outside the box fun fights:

colby covington
cody garbrandt

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I agree that the odds of Conor facing a Barboza or Pettis next is extremely slim. He will only have blockbuster mega fights still. But, style wise and whatnot, also if Conor were to truly take fighting seriously again, I feel like these are great fights.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
He is not going to be around for long. Make the most fun fights possible while he is still here.
-Diaz trilogy has to happen.
-If a 165 division is ever going to happen, have Conor usher it in with a title fight.
-Silva freak show for shits and giggles. Why not?

If he is going to stick around a while, I’d love to see Conor v Tony from a stylistic standpoint

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
It's really hard to say, but if I had to predict the future, I'd imagine it goes something like this:

1) Khabib rematch in title fight: Khabib repeats mauling, tells Conor mid-fight that the bear cub he fought when he was 10 was a tougher opponent. Khabib then has a falling out with the UFC and leaves to fight exclusively in Russia and the Ukraine. The UFC erases his existence as much as possible. McGregor's legacy is untarnished.

2) Nate Diaz trilogy match @ 165. Diaz channels a lifetime's worth of anger and poor life choices into McGregor's face and then later his neck with an RNC. 165 isn't a real weight class though, and everyone knows Nate Diaz is really just a Super Heavyweight like Anthony Johnson who emaciated himself down to 165. McGregor's Spartan Heart is undeterred.

3) McGregor fights Tony Ferguson for the UFC Lightweight Title. Ferguson gets the nod via split decision since the UFC just didn't pay enough money to get two judges to flip an honest 50-43 into a 47-48. However, Ferguson gets stripped of the belt after refusing to defend the belt on 3 week's notice, because real champions don't duck. Ferguson is no real champion like McGregor. This sets up:

4) Jose Aldo rematch for Lightweight UFC Interim Lightweight Title. Aldo avenges the lowest point of his career and finally gets that feel-good Hollywood ending for his movie's sequel. Aldo later tests positive for suspiciously excessive levels of sodium in his bloodstream and the fight is ruled a No-Contest. McGregor's will is unbent, his valiant spirit unbroken.

5) McGregor then demands a raise in contract re-negotiations, which stall for a bit, and he decides to take a boxing match with Manny Pacquiao co-promoted by Zuffa LLC and McGregor productions. Pacquiao, unable to get his revenge on Mayweather, decides that at least he can beat up a common opponent worse than Mayweather. McGregor, going for broke, decides to try a headkick in the second round but whiffs and gets laid out cold by a Pacquiao heymaker. However, the fight is ruled a DQ win instead of a KO, and everyone knows a DQ isn't a real loss.

6) At this point the UFC decides he is finally ready to take on GSP in an Interim UFC Lightweight Title fight. McGregor misses weight, making it a non-title fight, because he's out of fucks to give. GSP gets his second stoppage in just a decade, and promptly retires. The UFC never speaks of the fight ever again. McGregor's magnificent reign lives on.

7) After contract negotiations fall apart, and looking to end his career on a high note, McGregor leaves the UFC to fight Eddie Alvarez in One FC in the biggest possible MMA fight outside the UFC. Alvarez technically gets the win via an early stoppage when Big John McCarthy stops the fight while McGregor's Irish lion heart is still technically beating in a robbery to be decried for the ages. McGregor wins again.

8) Strongly motivated and looking to go out on an a win not just in the minds and hearts of the people but also in the record books, McGregor agrees to wrestle Ronda Rousey in the WWE. He agrees to do the job in the first match in a program, but then flips the script and knocks Ronda out cold, and celebrates in the ring with Artem and Danis and finally gets his own feel-good Hollywood ending!

9) Later that night McGregor just happens to run into Dustin Poirier in a bar, and pre-emptively knocks him out with a bottle of Proper 12 in what becomes WorldStarHipHop's most viewed video of all time, keeping the streak alive. McGregor demands and receives royalties, content to end his glorious career on a winning streak.

M

member 603

He's either getting a bullshit gifted LW title rematch (that he'll lose in epic fashion again), OR it should be the Nate trilogy. He doesn't want to fight contender fights (the chance he loses to a lower ranked title contender hurts his already tainted fight brand..... You can't gift him title fights if he loses to a Poirier, Lee, or Barboza), and besides, not enough big fight pop in those matches.

I see only BIG fights, since Ferguson is supposedly the next LW title contender, he's out (as is Khabib), so it will have to be either Diaz or GSP.... And if his desire to sell out Cowboy Stadium is a true statement, than the Diaz trilogy or GSP fight would be the ones to do it.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Paulie. If he can get a win, get another crack at Floyd. Make a couple more hundred million and call it a career. He has a better chance of closing the boxing gap with those guys than he does closing the wrestling gap with Khabib.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I only want to see conor fight big fights. lee, barboza, porier, are great fights, but no big fight feel to them. aldo's old and aint gonna do shit. the aldo rematch needed to happen a long time ago. i would like to see, in order:

gsp (cowboy stadium superfight)

khabib rematch (one sided, but the hype will be even bigger now with the maylay that occured)

nate diaz (lets get this trilogy done already)

paulie malignaggi (preferably mma, since he talks so much shit, but boxing would be fine)

ferguson (great fight here!, trash talk would be fun!)

holloway/ortega winner (both great fights and a FW title fight it would be)

some outside the box fun fights:

colby covington
cody garbrandt
Ortega would be an intriguing fight, but can you imagine what would happen as soon as Brian got his hands on McGregor...

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Barboza. For the sake of sport/competition/rankings. Conor is probably his best at lightweight, and both coming off a loss. (Think Barboza is set to fight hooker next though)

I really want to see diaz III, but this new age of “money fights” is taking away from the sporting part of it and i don’t like it. Money fights are cool here and there, but it just feels like that’s all that’s important. Not the best vs best anymore. /end ramble

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The man in the mirror?

Jokes aside, Conor doesn't deserve a immediate rematch with Khabib, so I like the Diaz trilogy fight best (Cowboy stadium?).

Aldo 2 would be fun, and I think that's definitely a winnable fight for Conor but it'd be nice to see them actually scrap. That was a great KO, but we only got 13 seconds. Lee is a big risk. Dustin or Barboza would be fun, but I don't see either of those happening.

I think Conor should wait until the results of the current matches which have already been set. His fight has been most recent so it only makes sense to see what the other contenders do and then proceed from there. A fighter's most recent performance should be their ticket to their next fight, NOT what ufc management hopes will happen (you'd think they'd have learned by now).
UFC management has got to stop it with that when fights were decisive. They have killed off interest in divisions with that noise: Garbrandt; Jędzrychyk; Silva; Barao; Penn and Edgar; Aldo; Franklin; etc.