Who trains these refs?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
she was out? her left arm was up. but that was just based on her body position?

thats super f**kin scary

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
whoa,. just noticed her own corner hoped the fence. good man. im almost teary right now in admiration of him doing that lol

M

member 603

I applied to be a MMA ref in the Florida Boxing Association.... The requirements included no known association with any camps, iirc something like 2 years of amateur MMA reffing (after you did a stint as the AC watchdog in the locker room, and the guys you see walking the fighters from the back to the cage). You also had to take a ref program (like the one John McCarthy runs), be certified in CPR, and show an understanding of submissions (my 5 years of running a BJJ tournament helped qualify me for this)........ Here's the kicker, on the Amateur level, most of this was done for free.

After that, and only if the pro level had a spot open that required it, you were then allowed to start doing pro fights.... But not the UFC level, small regional shows (you can start getting paid here), after a couple of years, THEN you can get to a major org as a ref (even then, they'd start you as the guy who checked fighters before entering the ring)...... This was all told to me by Frank what's his face (the AC commissioner who was on every episode of TUF Blackzilians vs ATT).

THAT was/is a multi year, underpaid commitment.... Only reason I was even able to talk with Frank was because one of my buddies Elian Rodriguez is a MMA judge in FL (he does all the UFC events and other big events here).

I think about that process and see reffing like this, and all I can think is WHAT THE SWEET FUCK???? Who did that guy catch fucking a minor or a goat to get that gig???

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I applied to be a MMA ref in the Florida Boxing Association.... The requirements included no known association with any camps, iirc something like 2 years of amateur MMA reffing (after you did a stint as the AC watchdog in the locker room, and the guys you see walking the fighters from the back to the cage). You also had to take a ref program (like the one John McCarthy runs), be certified in CPR, and show an understanding of submissions (my 5 years of running a BJJ tournament helped qualify me for this)........ Here's the kicker, on the Amateur level, most of this was done for free.

After that, and only if the pro level had a spot open that required it, you were then allowed to start doing pro fights.... But not the UFC level, small regional shows (you can start getting paid here), after a couple of years, THEN you can get to a major org as a ref (even then, they'd start you as the guy who checked fighters before entering the ring)...... This was all told to me by Frank what's his face (the AC commissioner who was on every episode of TUF Blackzilians vs ATT).

THAT was/is a multi year, underpaid commitment.... Only reason I was even able to talk with Frank was because one of my buddies Elian Rodriguez is a MMA judge in FL (he does all the UFC events and other big events here).

I think about that process and see reffing like this, and all I can think is WHAT THE SWEET FUCK???? Who did that guy catch fucking a minor or a goat to get that gig???
With some of the reffing you see in mma I am surprised that is is that extensive of a process.